awash in space aliens

Just started reading my third book on the Mayans and Aztecs. They were so advanced in agriculture, astronomy, construction etc. Where and how did they -- and the Egyptians-- put all this together to the point that, even today we can't figure out how they did some of those things?

How did they even conceive of turning a simple grass into corn? Terrapreta for hundreds of miles? Today, those concepts would be laughed at.
I've always wondered why/how that knowledge was lost when clearly other ancient practices were not.
It's almost as if some entity benefited from destroying the knowledge.

As long as they don't consider us food. :nonono:
It would be interesting and very disruptive to many of humanities beliefs. Probably cause mass riots, etc..
Couldn't it just be vegetation or small creatures?
Of course then we would want to figure out how to get there and destroy it all so....

There have been many massive migrations in that area over the millennia. Just look at what happened after the western Roman Empire collapsed.

There have been many massive migrations in that area over the millennia. Just look at what happened after the western Roman Empire collapsed.
Yep, and hopefully, we won't be around to see what will happen to our current civilization once things go south with nuclear weapons getting thrown around or some infectious plague hits us that we can't eliminate.

We haven’t eliminated the last infectious plague!
But we got it to become less fatal? BTW, I got Covid late last year (first time) and a call to my doc with a video visit, got me a prescription, which got rid of it very quickly. I felt great after two days.

Yep, and hopefully, we won't be around to see what will happen to our current civilization once things go south with nuclear weapons getting thrown around or some infectious plague hits us that we can't eliminate.
Well, I guess that just means that we aren't as intelligent as we think we are. Maybe that's what the aliens think too!

But we got it to become less fatal? BTW, I got Covid late last year (first time) and a call to my doc with a video visit, got me a prescription, which got rid of it very quickly. I felt great after two days.
Mutations keep cropping up.

I've never run across people that are evangelists for the idea of space aliens either. I suspect these people are agnostics or even atheists yearning to believe in a higher power, but they won't say that it's God. Safer to profess faith in a nameless alien entity.
I personally like "The Seven" (see below).
Yes, that pesky speed limit (the speed of light) does get in the way of interstellar travel. ?
For those of you who watched Game of Thrones, "The Seven" was their "higher power". But the reason I like it, is because the math of string theory needs 11 dimensions to work. So we have three spacial dimensions plus time, so four. Four plus the missing seven gets us to string theory. Having lots of extra dimensions around also means the speed limit is gone. And we also have quantum entanglement that can transmit information over however far apart entangled "stuff" is, instantaneously. When you look at the very small, things get really weird, so if you want to be newtonian about things, sure, then what you see is what you get. I'm pretty certain that there's a heckofalot more than our puny animal brains have the capacity to know.

As a scientist, I try to keep an open mind. However, trying to come up with any plausible explanation about why any space alien civilization would WANT to come to Earth is where I sort of shrug.
Me too. Sitting in the middle of things, we see ourselves as pretty important. But notice that each time in history that we learn more about our situation, we learned that we were less important than we earlier thought.

There's a bit of a TED talk that I keep coming back to about our impression of our importance (intelligence). There's this illustration of where one of the smartest people who ever lived, you and me, and a chicken, all on an intelligence scale.

1715202446674.png

But I think that intelligence doesn't stop where the human brain stops being able to comprehend things. We can know where in the field to run to catch a fly ball without doing the math. What if, when someone was born, they could just know calculus and quantum mechanics without the math?

1715202683503.png

This explains why we've not seen the aliens: we are simply not very interesting.

Humans live in three dimensional world.
Possibly, aliens are four or higher dimension creatures.

As I read about what the Webb is finding about planets in other solar systems and further and the scientists say there could be life out there I keep saying to myself "life as we know it." There is so much we don't know that it is almost impossible to think what is life.

I'm quite content just saying "I don't know". And if we somehow discovered a recognizable alien civilization on a planet 124 light years away, would it change my life? Probably not.

Having lots of extra dimensions around also means the speed limit is gone.

That seems extraordinarily glib. And we know, this, how? How do we know that traversing these dimensions will get us to our destination "faster"? For that matter how do we know it will get us to our destination in the time reference we want?

People have a tendency to project fantastic scientific advances onto theoretical crumbs of knowledge. I call this the "picking out the paint color for the starship's warp engines" syndrome.

People don't seem to realize that the ancient Aztec, Inca, Egyptians, etc. were actually "modern humans." They had the same intellectual ability we do. They were resourceful and came up with solutions we wouldn't think of today.

Yeah, some of their knowledge and skills were lost. Humans seem to have an urge to return to a "Dark Ages" every so often, going on rampages to destroy whatever civilization has developed in their area. Looking around, it wouldn't surprise me if we're heading into one now.

Some day people may look at our technology and wonder how we did it. Of course they're so much more "modern" than we were, and we must have been too stupid to think of all this tech ourselves. Therefore...Aliens!

I suspect (but am not sure) that man has advanced technology and knowledge more in the past ~150 years than all the millions of years before. Makes me wonder what the next 150 years holds for man, here on earth, if we don't do something extra stupid.

...if we don't do something extra stupid.
I could argue that we are already doing a lot of pretty stupid things. We used to say people would "avoid it like the plague." Then we had a plague. A lot of people not only didn't avoid it, but denied it. Of course nuclear weapons come to mind, as does the global trend toward nationalism and dictatorship. People are actively supporting this, going to rallies, waving banners, and generally demanding that civilization as we know it be violently torn down. It's not too hard to imagine these trends reaching a tipping point.

That seems extraordinarily glib. And we know, this, how? How do we know that traversing these dimensions will get us to our destination "faster"? For that matter how do we know it will get us to our destination in the time reference we want?

People have a tendency to project fantastic scientific advances onto theoretical crumbs of knowledge. I call this the "picking out the paint color for the starship's warp engines" syndrome.
Of course nobody can know. I like the warp engine color, cart before the horse thing. With the extra dimensions thing, the way the math works, as I (barely) understand it, is that things can be "at the same place at the same time." But the idea that the limit associated with moving through our subset of three spacial dimensions would be the same when seven more dimensions are added seems unlikely. But you're right, it's a guess. Unfortunately, when I meet "The Seven", I'll not be willing or able to come back and admit that the speed limit holds in the 11 dimension universe. Even if I wanted to explain it, no ape brain could understand it.

Back
Top Bottom