Cataract Surgery Options

Eye protection is a good point. After wearing glasses since my mid-40's I was used to having glasses protect my eyes. After cat. surgery I was enjoying wearing no glasses but have to remind myself to wear safety glasses whenever working on something. Easy to forget to not put on the safety glasses.

i went with the multi-focal 3 years ago. cost then was 2K extra each eye. i had worn glasses for 50 years. so glad to not have to wear them anymore.
Is multi-focal similar to trifocal glasses? I'm overdue for cataract surgery and have considered this option but I tried tri-focal lens glasses years ago and simply couldn't tolerate them. They actually made me nauseous.

DW did the higher-cost multi-focal option which she says works visionwise but has some issues. One being a magnification of the "floaters" in her eye that can be annoying. Other is "halo effect" from streetlights or lights from oncoming traffic while driving at night. Other than that she is fairly satisfied but disappointed in these items. She wore contacts and used readers for many years so there's a convenience in not having to deal with those.

The video I linked in post # 28 did mention that some of the lens types are prone to halos and glare from headlights. My wife had that issue before her surgery and really hated it, so that's part of the reason she went with the Light Adjustable. After the LAL implants, no complaints about halos/glare. A sample of 1, but seems to follow the expected pattern.

Back
Top Bottom