Financially independent retirement optional

Well said.
Dw and I were just talking about this today. If we find out I'm gravely ill then I will immediately retire, just like my mother. Doesnt matter if there's enough money. Its time. Unfortunately, by the time you know, it's typically too late and your days are mostly consumed with doctors and treatments if you're lucky enough to have the means.
This is how I've justified slowing down after years of hustle. Not FI yet, but not dead either.
No one loves their job that much. If given 2 months left to live, would you keep working? Unlikely.

I agree 100% - but we chose to take this to the next step.

Rather than waiting around for that period where we risk getting the news that nobody wants (and have to spend all the time with doctors/treatments), why aren't we going now?
And then we did... despite the fact we were in our 30s.

Do we have the future entirely figured out? No.
Have we been living our absolute best life for the past 12yrs? Yes.
Do we have a single regret (even if we get that call/news tomorrow)? No.

If given 2 months left to live, would you keep working? Unlikely.
I had a friend who stayed until he literally could no longer come into the office. I never figured that out as he was almost unrecognizable from his treatments and cancer. It was difficult to see him in that state and yet I had to treat him as if everything was fine. I had the impression w*rk was the only thing he loved to do. So sad.

If given 2 months left to live, would you keep working? Unlikely.
If given eternity to live, DW and I would still chose to fully retire as we did at 55 and 58 respectively. No part time work, no contract work, no "hobby jobs" or part time businesses. For the past couple of decades, we've just managed the portfolio and maintained the house and cars on our own terms. Do what you want to do, what makes you happy. Everyone needs to know themselves and act accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom