Fortune Article about young entrepreneurs who FIRE.

Markola

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I hope this article isn’t behind a paywall. It seems more substantial and thought-provoking than other simplistic, ignorant “You’ll hate FIRE” type articles by broke, jealous journalists. This one is researched.

“While many aspire to reach financial independence early and enjoy a longer retirement, they often don’t consider the impact it will have on their lives…

The quest for financial independence is not a fixed endpoint. Rather, it is an ever-evolving journey that involves acknowledging the dynamic nature of one’s identity, financial situation, and place in society. This holistic approach, encompassing personal values, goals, and ongoing growth, is key to ensuring a fulfilling and empowered life.”

https://fortune-com.cdn.ampproject....success/amp/?amp_js_v=0.1#webview=1&cap=swipe

Interesting read and makes some good points. But seems more about self-employment than FIRE.

All three subjects have what most of us would think of as jobs.

Fair enough. Some people, myself included, fill some of the abundant post career time by earning some dough. It scratches an itch and gives some welcomed structure. Others don’t. Options are good.

Some people, myself included, fill some of the abundant post career time by earning some dough.

I preferred to do the "earning some dough" thing during my "career time." But, I respect your choice although I've really enjoyed not earning a nickle since FIREing 18 years ago. :) As you say, "options are good."

You bet. Glad you liked it. What grabbed you in it?

The article's point about emotional ambivalence really resonated, particularly given the seemingly limitless possibilities that could lay ahead in terms of which identities & purposes could be potentially pursued. I've read many articles on FIRE, etc., but this is one of very few articles which seem to articulate that aspect of it.

Good article. I would say they are financially independent, but not retired.

Great quote from the article:
"It is important to find like-minded people in similar circumstances and share feelings and ideas about how to structure and plan life ahead."

This forum is a good part of that sentiment for me.

^^^^+1, Pacergal, about the value of this forum as a community of relatively like-minded folks when it comes to LBYM, keeping costs low and so forth. I’m at the age where friends are retiring but we still don’t discuss the money taboo in person in any depth, since we have different means and uneven knowledge about investments. Sometimes they ask me questions, and I’m glad to share my .02. But it’s more comfortable here!

The "Three approaches to life after FIRE" kind of resonated with me. I find myself a combo of 1-keeping busy with different projects they find interesting and 3-relaxing lifestyle. I just feel I have enough projects and activities in my life, big and small, that keeps me more than enough occupied. It's also nice that money doesn't have to be a top factor in prioritizing what I do. And I just really enjoy spending time with friends and family. I'm still goal orientated but I'm pretty non-ambitious.
So, I don't really related to approach 3 of searching for a bigger purpose. While I've read many articles about people struggling in retirement because of losing their identity, purpose, or status it hasn't been a factor for me. I'll quote Forest Gump, "You still Lieutenant Dan."

Back
Top Bottom