Plan slow travel, some of the time. What else?

I’ve found slow travel is easier in the mid size and smaller cities. There seems to be more and better places to spend several hours wandering about or just doing not much of anything while sitting in a café and watching the world go by. It’s also easier to chat up the locals.

It’s harder in big cities, though at times, I have taken a bus or Metro to some corner of the city outside the main tourist corridor and found peace, quiet and chatty locals. That said, slow travel is a skill that I still need to work on. I find that as I age, it gets easier to do. The park has a great view of the city and that bench in the shade is open. Sit down, enjoy, and recharge.
Reminds me of Belgrade. Such an awesome city to sit at outdoors at a cafe/bar and people watch. So relaxing.

This is/was our plan. Probably about 3 years out. Also likely staying in the Bay Area due to its goldilocks climate, despite the costs.

Our eldest is in college now and has needed/wanted to come hope every few weeks for a mental break/family support. That wasn't something I had not factored into our plans so something to consider.

Other complicating factors is our health and our parents' health. At 54 my plantar fascitis is becoming a real problem. Running has been impossible for years but now long walks are becoming more difficult/painful. Also, our parents have needed us more due to their health problems. Abandoning them for more than 3 months is probably not realistic.

Finally, we adopted too many dogs during the pandemic. They are great but boarding them is too expensive. We also miss them on longer trips so extended travel is not likely unless the kids move back to take care of the dogs or the dogs finally cross the rainbow bridge before we do.

So as another posted said, Man plans and God laughs. Still fun to plan though.
Thanks. Great points.
I think if we get a year or two to do some slow travel that would be an amazing achievement. May not be able to do it after that for reasons you state.

Thanks! Yes, time is flying by quick with kids in busy years of school. We head to Japan for a 12 day trip in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to some good family time after a busy school year!
We had a great family trip to Japan last summer. It was 15 days in mid July but it was brutally hot. Being outdoors mid-day was exhausting. If you're going in June you'll hopefully avoid terrible heat but you'll likely experience rain.

If you have time, I recommend ending your trip in Hakone. It was great spending two days exploring locally in slightly cooler mountain temps and relaxing in the onsens after walking all over Tokyo.

It’s harder in big cities, though at times, I have taken a bus or Metro to some corner of the city outside the main tourist corridor and found peace, quiet and chatty locals. That said, slow travel is a skill that I still need to work on. I find that as I age, it gets easier to do. The park has a great view of the city and that bench in the shade is open. Sit down, enjoy, and recharge.
We found when travelling when the kids were younger that having to find parks with play structures gave us that. I remember running into one Dutch family that seemed to be hitting up the same playgrounds at the same towns in/around the Chianti region... We crossed paths with them in San Gimignano, and Greve. We'd also see them at Gelato shops in Firenze. It became a funny situation that we all laughed at. So we got to relax (while the kids played), talk to locals at the park, and talk to other slow travelers.

People watching from a park or cafe is one of the best parts of travelling... Just watching the locals go about their daily business.

My pre retirment business life and leisure travel was well planned.

That all changed with retirment. Our first trip was 7 months. The only definite in that six months was the timeing of an African safari. We started in Europe with a tentative list but it was very much subject to change.

Now, we may book a flight in to Athens or Rome with a return flight 6-8 weeks later from London. Why London? Because we know that whereever we end up in Europe we can usually get a low cost flight. This was the case on one recent trip. Found ourselves in Greece with two weeks open. On a whim and because of a great fare we flew from Greece to Cyprus for two weeks.

Just did the same in Morocco. And we do same when we go to SE Asia/Australia in the winter. For the most part it is all proactive travel.

Back
Top Bottom