This weather is awful - 2024 to ?

^^^^
Looking at the NWS radar, it looks like you are catching what we got several times in the past few weeks.

Good Luck!

Not even one drop of rain here, yet. We decided the dire forecast, flood warnings, and so on, are just a lot of hogwash today, at least for our neighborhood. :rolleyes:
But then, it's all still predicted (even though there was nothing on the radar headed this way the last time I looked!). Youtuber Ryan Hall Y'all, who does weather forecasting videos, said within the past hour or two that New Orleans will be getting severe, damaging winds between 8-10 PM tonight. But from where? Who knows.

I guess there is a hidden, mystical, cryptic weather system that doesn't show up on radar or any sort of technology, and THAT's the system that is going to hit us so hard. :2funny: Could be! At times like this we all long for the best weather forecasters of yore, that everyone trusted. Here, it was Nash Roberts (who is long dead by now). Nash Roberts - Wikipedia

350,000+ New Orleanians are silently, fervently wishing for the spirit of Nash Roberts to let our city know what to expect. :confused:

Last edited:
But then, it's all still predicted (even though there was nothing on the radar headed this way the last time I looked!). Youtuber Ryan Hall Y'all, who does weather forecasting videos, said within the past hour or two that New Orleans will be getting severe, damaging winds between 8-10 PM tonight. But from where? Who knows.

I guess there is a hidden, mystical, cryptic weather system that doesn't show up on radar or any sort of technology, and THAT's the system that is going to hit us so hard. :2funny: Could be! At times like this we all long for the best weather forecasters of yore, that everyone trusted. Here, it was Nash Roberts (who is long dead by now). Nash Roberts - Wikipedia

350,000+ New Orleanians are silently, fervently wishing for the spirit of Nash Roberts to let our city know what to expect. :confused:
OK! It's showing up on radar now. We have a Severe Thunderstorm Watch this evening, and 100% chance of rain.

OK! It's showing up on radar now. We have a Severe Thunderstorm Watch this evening, and 100% chance of rain.
Sent to you from Texas.... We like to share. :) Enjoy but be safe.

Reactions: W2R
Sent to you from Texas.... We like to share. :) Enjoy but be safe.
Will do! Frank just stopped by (from his house next door) and we decided to stay home tonight. If the rain holds off, he may try to find some muffins for tomorrow's breakfast. If not, we thought of some "oldies but goodies" to listen to and enjoy at our homes.

Edited to add: Serves me right for napping in the middle of posting this. I just awakened to discover that we now have a Flood Watch, a Severe Thunderstorm Watch with winds up to 50 mph, a special marine warning for waterspouts and high waves, a Small Craft Advisory, and more! Yikes. And now, at long last, I can hear the storm (thunder and wind and heavy rain pounding on the roof). Ah, the wonders of Mother Nature..... :2funny:

Storm lasted much of the night. 2 inches of rain, 16 mph winds. But now it's gone, with sunshine and 82F outside.

^^^^
Assuming the pumps are working that doesn't sound too bad at all. Or do they even crank them up for 2"? :)

Nothing catastrophic here, but rain, rain, rain for the past 2 months. I'm so tired of it. We had some decent weather over the last 3 days, a window just large enough to let the ground dry a bit and plant the vegetable garden, but the rain is back today.

Nothing catastrophic here, but rain, rain, rain for the past 2 months. I'm so tired of it. We had some decent weather over the last 3 days, a window just large enough to let the ground dry a bit and plant the vegetable garden, but the rain is back today.
Not that it's that important, but without knowing your location, what you got for rain is not meaningful in this thread.

Not that it's that important, but without knowing your location, what you got for rain is not meaningful in this thread.
I think FIREd moved to Switzerland several years ago, near the border with France, maybe near Geneva. I'm not entirely sure where but it's still interesting to read about the weather over there. We're not the only ones dealing with lots of rain!

Last edited:
OK, I just heard "Ryan Hall Y'All" (on youtube) say that we'll be having some of the more severe weather in the South here in New Orleans soon. It's supposed to hit us around 3 AM and possibly last through the weekend. Texas is getting it too. WWLTV says some of New Orleans will be getting 7+ inches of rainfall. There will also be tornados, but nobody is saying anything about unusually intense ones so thank goodness for that.

I told Frank and honestly we're not worried. We're planning to stay home. He's headed out right now to get 4 days' worth of breakfast muffins for us, so he doesn't have to drive in the storm.

You know, you'd think it was an onslaught of intense tropical storms in June, but no, it's just crazy May 2024 weather doing it to us again. :2funny:

Last edited:
In the mid-Atlantic, we've had too much rain. Last year we had too little. As someone who grows some of my veggies and herbs, I'll take too much over too little.

Laughably, the weather guy on the local channels have complained about the weather being bad on the weekends. As a retiree, I don't have to care!

ok, this is getting silly... Another round of rain we don't need. At least this time it doesn't "seem" to be as severe as last week. Maybe more widespread this time.

1715885462783.gif

• Wow
Please send some rain my way. We are probably around 5" for the year counting rain and melted snow. We get about 15" per year.

Can't complain though. 73 degrees, 25% humidity, sunny with a slight breeze right now.

Houston got pounded at 6:00 PM. 107 MPH winds in the downtown. The storm was quick and fierce and knocked out power to over 1,000,000 residents. The wind was so powerful in downtown, many windows were blown out of buildings. It dropped a lot of water, too. My daughter has no power right now.

I got lucky north a few miles and still have power and the rain is in Louisiana.

Storm2.jpg

Storm.jpg

Last edited:
Houston got pounded at 6:00 PM. 107 MPH winds in the downtown. The storm was quick and fierce and knocked out power to over 1,000,000 residents. The wind was so powerful in downtown, many windows were blown out of buildings. It dropped a lot of water, too. My daughter has no power right now.

I got lucky north a few miles and still have power and the rain is in Louisiana.
107 mph? WOW, you weren't just kidding, you all got pounded for sure! And power outage for over a million people? What a mess!! I hope Houston's electricity can be repaired and restored soon. This is awful!

The rain hasn't reached New Orleans yet. We still have 94% chance of rain and an active tornado watch in place. :hide:

So far so good here in New Orleans! We didn't have any terrifying weather last night (well, ok, thunder and heavy rain but not terrifying). A kind forum member messaged me just now to ask if we were OK, so I thought I should probably mention to everyone that we're OK. I haven't yet checked the predictions for tonight so I'll do that now. I hope the Texans here are doing OK too.

^^^^^
Glad you didn't get any of the really bad stuff. Today we seem to be back to a normal May day in my part of Texas. Just warm (90 degs) and humid. Turned on the AC and expect it will stay on 90% of the time between now and early October.

Back
Top Bottom