What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

"The Bear" on Hulu. An award winning chef working in New York City inherits his family's sandwich shop in Chicago along with its dysfunctional staff. Only three episodes in. It's holding my interest as I'm getting invested in the characters. Lots of F-bombs being thrown around. Will continue with it. Even though it's fictional it seems more "real" than the reality cooking shows. Episodes are quick at 30 minutes long and there are only 10 episodes per season. Hulu streaming service.

"The Bear" on Hulu. An award winning chef working in New York City inherits his family's sandwich shop in Chicago along with its dysfunctional staff. Only three episodes in. It's holding my interest as I'm getting invested in the characters. Lots of F-bombs being thrown around. Will continue with it. Even though it's fictional it seems more "real" than the reality cooking shows. Episodes are quick at 30 minutes long and there are only 10 episodes per season. Hulu streaming service.
I loved this. Stick with it through S1; S2 is even better IMO. Definitely not a reality cooking show, and I have an ever deeper appreciation for what it takes to run a restaurant after watching this.

Finished Shogun, not as epic as we expected, a little confusing at times, but OK.
I just finished Shogun and feel the same. The production was excellent - costumes, buildings, background, etc. But the series didn’t capture the complexity of the characters.

I agree with others regarding Shogun. The production was excellent, but the ending left me feeling the story incomplete and somewhat dissatisfied.

Ripley, on the other hand, left me riveted all the way to the end. Many details to tease the viewer. Can’t believe I found myself rooting for the bad guy towards the end.

I loved this. Stick with it through S1; S2 is even better IMO. Definitely not a reality cooking show, and I have an ever deeper appreciation for what it takes to run a restaurant after watching this.

We finished S1 last night. There were only 8 episodes, not 10. Nice plot twist at the end. On to S2!

I agree with others regarding Shogun. The production was excellent, but the ending left me feeling the story incomplete and somewhat dissatisfied.

Ripley, on the other hand, left me riveted all the way to the end. Many details to tease the viewer. Can’t believe I found myself rooting for the bad guy towards the end.
IIRC, the story of Shogun is not yet over. I hope we will see a second season. Among other things Blackthorn has to - spoiler deleted - before his time in Japan is over.

Thanks for this. Watched 2 of 4 so far and like it. I've never read the books (but probably will now) Shardlake himself is irascible enough to be interesting and rise above the stereotype although I found the typical modern "stunt" casting of the side characters a bit jarring as always...
IMO, four episodes was not enough to cover the first Shardlake book. While the ending is accurate, they did not have enough time to give a better picture of the details that lead to the ending.

IMO, one or two more episodes would have helped viewers understand the ending better, assuming they dealt with how Shardlake cleverly pulled the truth from lies and misdeeds of others.

I don’t know that I would ever want to eat in a restaurant run by people like those in The Bear. The thought of what they might do to my food is down right scary.

I highly recommend a show mentioned up thread-Mr. Bates vs the Post Office. I watched it on PBS Masterpiece and it was much better than I was anticipating! I also watched the documentary about this and it was very good as well.

Gentlemen in Moscow-very interesting show-on Paramount +/Showtime. I'm waiting for the 8th episode to drop I think Friday. I have watched episodes 1-5 so far. Another show that I didn't think I would like but ended up loving it. I do not love the once a week episode drop though.

I'm not sure what I will be watching next. I might subscribe to Netflix for the summer and watch some shows-really looking forward to watching the Three Body Problem after having listened to the audiobook.

The New Look on Apple is interesting. Historical account based on true events during WWll. Experiences of Coco Chanel and Christian Dior in Paris and how they launched their fashion careers.

Season 3 of Clarkson's Farm is now available on Amazon. IMHO, one of the best streaming shows ever. It's funny, charming, sad and you learn a lot about local politics and farming. The characters are lovable, quirky and honest. Don't miss it.

Purely by random selection I watched a Netflix series which turned out to be by Harlan Coben, who I had never heard of. I enjoyed it and discovered there are a number of Harlan Coben series on Netflix. I have now seen 3 of them I think and I’m finishing up my fourth. Eight episodes each so you don’t get sucked in for too long. All thriller/mystery/intrigue types of stories.

Highly recommend "In Restless Dreams: /The Music of Paul Simon" on Prime. Goes back to when they began as childhood friends, when the stress of fame broke them up. I did not know Paul Simon wrote all the lyrics to their songs

Purely by random selection I watched a Netflix series which turned out to be by Harlan Coben, who I had never heard of. I enjoyed it and discovered there are a number of Harlan Coben series on Netflix. I have now seen 3 of them I think and I’m finishing up my fourth. Eight episodes each so you don’t get sucked in for too long. All thriller/mystery/intrigue types of stories.

His books are great, I rarely miss one. Although he seems to keep recycling the theme of someone disappearing for a decade or so and coming back, or else someone that had a sibling and didn't know it.

Can you name a particular series title that you thought was especially good?

His books are great, I rarely miss one. Although he seems to keep recycling the theme of someone disappearing for a decade or so and coming back, or else someone that had a sibling and didn't know it.

Can you name a particular series title that you thought was especially good?
The Stranger and Fool Me Once were both very good. I also enjoyed Safe. I'm almost done Stay Close now which I've also liked. There are 8 of his shows on Netflix all together.

Back
Top Bottom