Join Early Retirement Today

May have found bug when entering Soc Sec
Old 08-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

May have found bug when entering Soc Sec

In the process of running scenarios for myself, I noticed that the result for 'Given a success rate, determine spending level for a set portfolio" for a 100% success was NOT the same result as when I manually adjusted the 'Spending' amount on the 'Start Here' tab to achieve a 100% success value. I thought you might want to know. Below is a random example demonstrating what I did. The only clue I have the two approaches MATCHED when I didn't have any Social Security earnings added, then DIDN'T match when I did add in Social Security earnings. I hope you find this helpful.

First, here is a random example where I kept changing the 'Spending' field until the 100% success value was teetering on the edge. Just $50 more and it goes below 100%. The spending is $87600.
https://www.firecalc.com/index.php?w...lcVersion=3.0&

Next, if I don't change any entry fields, but go to the 'Investigate Tab' and select the 'Spending Level' button and select 100%, the result should be the same (it worked when I didn't have Social Security income). However, it is not. It is in fact quite a bit different ($71,198 vs $87,600).

I would love to hear if I was just misunderstanding the calculator of if I indeed found a bug.
link is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting results. I reproduced your inputs and ended up with the same results. Looking at it further.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I think I have come across this same bug. I would love to see it fixed, and would contribute a six pack of whatever to the fixer, just let me know.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Okay further update.
IMHO, the issue might be with the "Not Retired" screen. When I input my own numbers which includes 2 SS inputs including one in the future, but with 2018 as the retirement year, the 100% max spending on investigation is similar to using that max number on the Spending input on the first screen to achieve 100% success.
Thus perhaps when the retirement is in the future and/or savings are expected in future years, the bug shows up when there are SS inputs. Strange though.....
Old 08-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My inputs when I saw the problem were for one future SS stream. I leave the "Not Retired" screen with default values (because I'm retired). I also have two off chart spending reductions that start in future years.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Okay further update.
IMHO, the issue might be with the "Not Retired" screen. When I input my own numbers which includes 2 SS inputs including one in the future, but with 2018 as the retirement year, the 100% max spending on investigation is similar to using that max number on the Spending input on the first screen to achieve 100% success.
Thus perhaps when the retirement is in the future and/or savings are expected in future years, the bug shows up when there are SS inputs. Strange though.....
Thank you for the response and the check. Hopefully an admin of Firecalc will see this and look into it.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by link View Post
Thank you for the response and the check. Hopefully an admin of Firecalc will see this and look into it.
Instead of just hoping, you can send a report to the FIRECalc contact email, "dory36 at capn-bill dot com": https://www.firecalc.com/contact.php

Maritime signal flag W-Whiskey, "I require medical assistance."

Technically not early retirement in 2015 at 64-1/2. 32% of men and 37% of women who claimed Social Security that year were 62. (Annual Statistical Supplement, 2016, Table 6.B5)
whaleknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleknives View Post
Instead of just hoping, you can send a report to the FIRECalc contact email, "dory36 at capn-bill dot com": https://www.firecalc.com/contact.php
Yeah, I actually did that first. I transcribed that into email, but Dory36's email address didn't work. I got a mailer daemon notification. That's what brought me to the forum actually. 😁

Tags
bug, firecalc