Join Early Retirement Today

The Universe has a warped and perverted sense of humor (long)
Old 11-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The Universe has a warped and perverted sense of humor (long)

The other day in this topic, I said that I'm a lot more relaxed about money thanks to our cushion and savings.

So naturally, the Universe had to go and test that statement. DH called earlier to tell me his boss has announced the company will be closing its doors as of December 31, 2006.

I should say that DH does highly technical software engineering, and there are not many jobs in that category available here in Las Vegas. So, we're going to be moving a bit sooner than we had planned.

I'll keep working at this job until it's time to quit and prep for the move. I'm a paralegal and can do legal secretarial or general secretarial work as well, so I'm not real concerned about finding a job -- I can always temp.

How does this affect our FIRE plans? Depends on how quickly DH finds another job and where, as well as what the housing situation is in the new place. (We have about $250,000 in equity in our current home.)

All sorts of fun planning in the works for me now. Thanks for "listening."
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The Universe has a warped and perverted sense of humor (long)
Old 11-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good luck, peggy. I'm so sorry about your situation. It will take some time for your husband to wrap his head around what happened and decide what to aim for next. Aren't you glad you became a saver and don't have to panic about it? IIRC, you weren't quite ready for FIRE but closing in on it. Take it easy. Consider cutting back on discretionary expenses for a while.

RANDOM THOUGHTS
If you're absolutely sure you want to move from Vegas, you might want to put your house on the market sooner than end of December (maybe there will be other layoffs at the end of the year, too?). Let me know if you decide to look into the Charleston, SC area.

My DH happily switched from managing/doing softweare engineering to teaching it after he was laid off. Your husband might want to think about teaching if he's a little more outgoing than your average engineer and enjoys making presentations, answering questions, etc.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

peggy....

With all respect, and understanding that it is a shock to have your plans changed, please understand your situation is one most Americans would cut off their left leg to have. If you were blue collar workers with a couple of kids and management was annoucing that the plant was closing, that's a problem. But a SW guru and a legal secretary, no problem. Get on with life and enjoy! You, relatively speaking, have zero problems!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
peggy....

With all respect, and understanding that it is a shock to have your plans changed, please understand your situation is one most Americans would cut off their left leg to have. If you were blue collar workers with a couple of kids and management was annoucing that the plant was closing, that's a problem. But a SW guru and a legal secretary, no problem. Get on with life and enjoy! You, relatively speaking, have zero problems!
I am grateful for our situation, for the planning that went into it, and for the people that we are, believe me! Thank you for the reminder, though -- I posted that within an hour after getting the news and I was still in shock.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #5

We had a million bucks saved when DH was laid off at age 52 (5 years ago), and we were still in shock. But not as much shock as his colleagues who weren't as financially prepared.

Sure didn't help that my father died the same week. We quickly decided to relocate and buy a house for cash. No regrets--in fact, we're happy with our current circumstances. DH is pleased that the layoff pushed him into teaching, which he prefers to engineering management.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy
I am grateful for our situation, for the planning that went into it, and for the people that we are, believe me!
Good attitude! After all, what would be the sense of being bright, well educated people who executed their financial plans throughout life if you let something like this get under your skin?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry to learn of your DH's disappointing job news - unexpected things always seem harder to deal with. But it is great that you know you can take your time and decide where to live and not have to jump at anything - keep us posted!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #8

I just wanted to add, I don't think that your original post was necessarily that long. I mean, have you seen any of Nord's posts??
Old 11-04-2006, 10:11 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
I mean, have you seen any of Nord's posts??
Hey, I could shorten them up by spreading them out across five or six separate posts, but I'm more interested in quality than quantity...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Hey, I could shorten them up by spreading them out across five or six separate posts, but I'm more interested in quality than quantity...
Don't change a thing, you keep it interesting.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:09 PM   #11

Peggy,

Is your husband's boss' name David B? I helped a friend start his business 15 years ago and I just received an email he was closing the business (in Las Vegas) on December 31, 2006. The company does very technical software.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye
Peggy,

Is your husband's boss' name David B? I helped a friend start his business 15 years ago and I just received an email he was closing the business (in Las Vegas) on December 31, 2006. The company does very technical software.
Yes, it is. DH is being amazed and amused as I read your post to him.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #13

Peggy,

Unbelievable! What a small world.

Let your husband know there are many people who are very sad the company is closing. I gave Dave his first contract after he left MegaCorp. He is loved by many.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Buckeye,

Will do. And he'll pass the message on to Dave, as well. Thanks for the good wishes all around.