Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Chocolate replacement, or what snacks taste good
Old 12-06-2006, 07:15 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Chocolate replacement, or what snacks taste good

I am an incurable snacker -primarily chocolate. I probably average 6-8 oz per day. If I don't have chocolate I eat other candies - hard, chewy, whatever. I am blessed with a high metabolism so this hasn't made me overweight (or at least not much). But, if I gave up the sugar I would probably regain a six pack. 8)

So, my question is: is there a tasty, healthy (or at least not unhealthy) snack out there? Something you can pick at all day long and not get tired of. Trail mixes and other bird food never did it for me. After all I am a chocoholic. There are a lot of us out here thinking there must be something better...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Chocolate replacement, or what snacks taste good
Old 12-06-2006, 07:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Figs.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think there is anything you would want to eat habitually with no link to physiological hunger just to be feeding the urge that chocolate fulfills. Eating sweet fruit all day would be better but you would also increase your calories and blood glucose. If I ate that much chocolate per day, I would have to eliminate an entire meal or, I am sure, balloon up to 230 or so. My typical weight is in the 180's at six feet. I assume the chocolate has sugar in it. Eating it everyday, that would send me, over the next few years, right into type 2 diabetes. I am not sure what a rapid metabolism is but do understand that activity burns calories. But there are just so many things bad about sugar that I regret all of those sugary power bars, gatorade, and fig newtons that I ate daily just because I had the excuse that I was burning it off pounding the pavement. In the meantime, the insulin receptors on my cells were taking a beating. The blood glucose jumped up during my late 40's and early 50's. If I get enough fat and protein in my meals, I am not as likely to crave a snack. When the craving kicks in, it is usually after a more rare high carb meal has digested leaving me in insulin rebound. Sliced apple with peanut butter slathered on it is one of my standard snacks. Almonds and walnuts, a chunk of Jarlberg Lite cheese, or a hardboiled egg with half the yoke to my dog for a treat are what I consider my bad habits when the munchies strike. P. S. I love figs but can't stop eating them so I am afraid to have them around. Our problem is caloric abundance. What a blessing and a curse.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I like a banana with chunky peanut butter on it. Same with an apple (just like windsurf).

But I don't think you're going to find a magic bullet.

Often I'll eat a banana or apple (no peanut butter), and just have faith that if I get busy with something else, the craving will go away.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dark chocolate is good for you. I keep Dove Dark pieces in the freezer, I have one a day, freezing it makes it last longer. It's my one sweet treat I look forward to.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #6

Fresh fruit is good. Banana (w or w/o peanut butter) is a great one. Get out of the kitchen! always helps me.

I like carrots, too. Maybe dip em in a little light/nofat salad dressing if you don't like em plain.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I think protein makes you full quick. I find a little fish or chicken takes the edge away.......

DW likes dark chocolate, and recent studies seem to indicate it's good for you........

Get a book on low glycemic foods, or look on WebMD..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #8

couple of slices of deli/sandwich meat are usually rather low calorie (although high in salt). pop a little mustard on, and you got a decent little low cal snack.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Fresh fruit is good. Banana (w or w/o peanut butter) is a great one. Get out of the kitchen! always helps me.

I like carrots, too. Maybe dip em in a little light/nofat salad dressing if you don't like em plain.
Bananas are a high-glycemic fruit, just so people know..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Probably better than chocolate though...
Old 12-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I like figs, with a few walnuts to balance out the sugar with some protein. But the calories can add up fast.

Maybe a little dark chocolate, a fig or two, plus some nuts, for snacks. Sounds yummy to me.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I am an incurable snacker -primarily chocolate.
Me too. I feel your pain.

I have tried over the years to cut back on sweets -- not because of the chocolate, but because my mother is diabetic and I do not want to follow in her footsteps. There's nothing like watching her put the needle in with one hand and take a bite of a sugar donut to bring home the dangers to me! ;-(

I hate to break this to you, but again, after YEARS of trying everything I've concluded that only one thing works. Cold turkey.

I faced the fact that I was a sugar addict, realized that ONE of anything was never going to be enough, and made a bet with my SO that whoever ate sugar first (apart from the natural sugar found in fruits, etc.) owed the other $200.

We haven't found a $200 dessert out there yet, we lost 20lbs apiece, and have more energy.

Just two peoples' experience...

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Yes, but peanut butter is very low (10 or 11, I think) due to the high fat content. So, if you combine them in the same snack, you're probably OK.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:07 PM   #14

I didn't know that, FinanceDude. Thanks very much for the tip!
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

When I was a teenager, I went chocolate cold turkey due to the mistaken belief that it caused pimples. Didn't have any for several years.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I guess there is no magic bullet. I think Caroline is right about the cold turkey. I did it once for a couple of months but backslid later. It took me five years of intermittent cold turkey to quit cigarettes so maybe I should just climb back on the turkey's back and give it another ride.

Figs don't do it for me. Nor does one piece of Dove - if I put a giant size (24 oz?) bag of M&Ms with peanuts in the freezer I am lucky if they last three days I like apples with cheese but they just aren't handy enough. Justin may have something with the deli meat. I like to roll up a slice or two of smoked turkey or maple ham when I am rushed for lunch. That just could be the ticket.

I am chomping on some pistachios right now -- are they OK?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #17

You can find nutritional data at several sites, e.g.:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/

http://www.calorie-count.com/

You'll find that if you switch to a dark chocolate (I like Droste Extra Dark), then you'll cut the carbs in half vs M&M's. The chocolate is good for you. The carbs aren't so good. And caloric density is high.

Most nuts (and peanut butter) are just as calorie-dense as a chocolate bar, but with fewer carbs and more fiber. I would chose peanuts over peanut butter since peanut butter is made from the not-so-pretty nuts, which are more likely to contain aflatoxin (carcinogenic peanut mold).

But probably the best thing you can do is cut down on the snacking. I've heard that it helps if you force youself to use a plate and sit down every time you eat.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
But probably the best thing you can do is cut down on the snacking. I've heard that it helps if you force youself to use a plate and sit down every time you eat.
Absolutely.

Always serve your food.

From what I've read, random snacking (mindless eating) does not provide sufficient feedback. Your system is not properly registering what has been consumed.

Sugary soft drinks are the worst in the 'unregistered' category.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
I guess there is no magic bullet. I think Caroline is right about the cold turkey. I did it once for a couple of months but backslid later.
Diagnosed with diabetes (Type II) in 2001. Never really ate candy, but did have a "contuining yearning" for cakes and such.

I guess you can say I was "scared into a cure" for my "sweet tooth". I now limit myself to pumpkin pie (one of my favorites) to one small piece, twice a year (Xmas/Thanksgiving).

My favorite pie (Pecan) "has not tuched my lips" since my diagnosis. Note that I manage my diabetes via diet/exercise. I know the pills are right around the corner (and the shots in the future), but I also realize my diagnoses (along with a major change to my lifestyle) has made me "healthier" than I have been in the last 20+ years.

Sorry to go on (this probably belongs in the health forum?) but the truth is that I don't eat chocolate (but I still miss it ).

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron'Da
Sorry to go on (this probably belongs in the health forum?) but the truth is that I don't eat chocolate (but I still miss it ).

- Ron
This is the health forum Ron

And thanks to everybody for the advice. I am slowly building up to cold turkey. I may also try the "served on a plate" approach. I enjoy windsurfing, snowboarding and stuff like that and I worry that my lousy diet will turn on me and cause some health problem that forces me to cut that fun stuff out. I do need to be careful though - I don't want to ruin my retirement with a health kick. One thing I won't quit is Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies with my coffee for breakfast.