Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else investing/saving with USAA?
Old 02-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone else investing/saving with USAA?

I will have the opportunity to invest between 50 and 100K near the end of 2007 ( ) Should I stick with USAA - max out on the ROTH and then go with the USAA fund family?

If you are a USAA customer, please let me know how you feel you investments are performing. Thank you
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anyone else investing/saving with USAA?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeninNJ

If you are a USAA customer, please let me know how you feel you investments are performing. Thank you
JeninNJ,

Both DW and I had small IRAs invested in USAA for several years and their performance was less than stellar. Not only are USAA expense ratios high when compared to companies like Fidelity and Vanguard, but fund management has seen a lot of turnover. That's why I chose to go elsewhere when I rolled over my 401k at retirement.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeninNJ
I think that as a financial investment company USAA is a darn fine insurer.

I wouldn't buy my car insurance from Fidelity or my liability insurance from Vanguard, either.

Jen, if you're getting to that point in your ER plan where you've accumulated six-figure investments, then you may want to look into consolidating your accounts with Fidelity or Vanguard. Both treat their higher-net-worth customers a little better than the rest of the unwashed masses. Others like Schwab & T. Rowe Price may have similar deals.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

I do my general banking (checking, CCs) with USAA and LOVE them. Also use them for all types of insurance.

That said, I do my investing at Charles Schwab (but any brokerage is fine). If you're talking about a one time investment of $50-$100K, you can create a diversified portfolio with 4-6 ETFs at very low cost. I'd go to a broker for the asset management work...

- M
milmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milmoose
I do my general banking (checking, CCs) with USAA and LOVE them. Also use them for all types of insurance.

That said, I do my investing at Charles Schwab (but any brokerage is fine).
Same here, except that our investments are with Vanguard and T Rowe Price.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Funny, I was just looking at this myself the other day. We've banked and insured at USAA for years ourselves, but I'll agree with the other posters. Expenses, management and diversity of fund choices look better at Fidelity and Vanguard (and others I'm sure).

AV8
AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My very first mutual fund purchase was with USAA--their "Cornerstone Fund." I've learned a lot since then, and I don't have any $$ in USAA funds any more. Almost everything is with Vanguard, except for a small amount with Fidelity (because Vanguard doesn't offer Solo 401ks yet).

As others have mentioned: USAA is a super bank and insurer (life and auto). They have all my banking and almost all of my insurance business. They just can't match the cost structure and expertise of Vanguard when it comes to MFs.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
JeninNJ,

Both DW and I had small IRAs invested in USAA for several years and their performance was less than stellar. Not only are USAA expense ratios high when compared to companies like Fidelity and Vanguard, but fund management has seen a lot of turnover. That's why I chose to go elsewhere when I rolled over my 401k at retirement.

Could not agree more. Moved it from there into Vanguard.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

I use USAA for my insurnace, checking account, and two mortgages. I also looked at them for investments.

The insurance and banking are great

Their mortgage services suck (which are actually contracted out)

I didn't invest with them for the expense ratio and performance reasons mentioned by others.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I agree with the others about USAA. I have moved all of my USAA funds to Vanguard as the ER at USAA is not, will not ever be, as low as Vanguard except for the S&P 500 which is still competitive. DW still has a size able chunk of her investments in the S&P 500 fund at USAA (still has a .18% ER) but if it jumps back up to .32% or so I will again suggest/insist that she move it to Vanguard.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have all my insurance with USAA and love them for that. I also have an Amex card through them which is a good, no-fee rewards card. I love that their credit cards actually support direct download of transactions into the Mac version of Quicken -- most don't and make you download an entire QFX file at their website first.

All of my investments are elsewhere, and I don't find any of their offerings, services or commission rates so superior that it's worth moving all my assets over to them.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #12

Well, I guess I'll just move the pittance from my MF to my MM account for my short term savings (which is my next priority)...and look into VG. Thanks!