Join Early Retirement Today

Kaderli's 90% S&P Portfolio
Old 03-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Kaderli's 90% S&P Portfolio

Billy & Akaisha Kaderli have 90% of their portfolio invested in an S&P Index Fund. They do not do slice and dice nor do endless SWR calculations. They have had a thriving early retirement for 17 years with this simple allocation. From what I can tell they do not intend to change their investment allocation even though they are now in their mid 50s.

Have they blindly rolled the dice and come out lucky or do they know something that the rest of us do not?
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Kaderli's 90% S&P Portfolio
Old 03-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who are the Kaderli's? Anyway if they have 2M and can live on $34,000 a year + SS and or pension what's the problem.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/

These are them
Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman
Have they blindly rolled the dice and come out lucky or do they know something that the rest of us do not?
Guess they are too busy living to bother about with SWR and S&D. No seriously S&P500 covers a large % of the domestic market - and 17 yrs ago there weren't that many indexing options. And keeping it simple I guess helps a lot along with getting lucky.

You do know they both post here right?

-h
Old 03-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswswein
Guess they are too busy living to bother about with SWR and S&D. No seriously S&P500 covers a large % of the domestic market - and 17 yrs ago there weren't that many indexing options. And keeping it simple I guess helps a lot along with getting lucky.

You do know they both post here right?

-h
Yeah, lucky enough to lose around 45% of their investments from 2000 thru 2002. S&P500 1/2000 = 1550, S&P500 3/2007 = 1430. So -8% plus inflation for 7 years. Like I said if you can live off the dividends your OK.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:31 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I read their book and take a look at their site from time to time. On a side note, I admire their courage to step out there and follow their dream.

From a portfolio management perspective. The S&P 500 can be volitile, but it is also fairly stable as far as equities go. Since it is a blend, one gets some growth and some value coverage.

They follow the LBYM philosophy and manage expenses aggressively, yet have a comfortable lifestyle that is more tuned into experiences and people rather than acquiring objects and stuff.

If you go to their site and read, you would find that when they started, they were using an approximate 4% WR... maybe a little above. The S&P has grown fairly well over the last 20 years, so they have had the advantage of having the wind behind their back. I am not sure of their net worth, but if they stuck with their expense management, their portfolio had to grow substantially.

I suspect that part of the growth spurt in the market over the last 20 years is due to IRAs, 401ks, etc. These types of accounts have fostered the creation of a new class of investor (the masses) that has pushed a bunch of money into the market. But that is another story.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:43 AM   #7

In one camp (The Bernsteinites) are the slice and dicers in the other camp are the (Bogleheads) who believe that the market based weighting is the most efficient portfolio.

Since the S&P500 fits well as a market weighted portfolio, although limited to large caps, it really isn't too far off of the Boglehed approach.

And it is simple to understand and simple to implement.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

I am not too surprised about the Kaderli story. Maybe some of their income is book royalties. They do have a real message to tell. Too bad more are not listening.

I am in my 20th year of retirement and doing well. If I had know about the 4% rule, I may not have done it. There are powerful forces out there that can work in your favor if you harness them to your wagon. DCA out is not one of them.

Of course, a generally up market does most of the work.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drigooch
I am not too surprised about the Kaderli story. Maybe some of their income is book royalties. They do have a real message to tell. Too bad more are not listening.
Could you summarize their message for us?

Ha
Old 03-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

Ha
I think you are supposed to buy the book
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:57 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
I think you are supposed to buy the book
If you have a Hawaii state library card then you can borrow the copy that I donated.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #12

A few things make their choice of the S&P(I assume 500?) a good one. First it is simple, second it was the best thing around and as much as I love Joe Dominguiz (Your MOney Or Your Life) his use of Treasuries is bad financial advice, better the S&P500. Yes, there would have been a 40% drop around 2000 but the K's are aware enough to cut back spending or work a little to ad income. The third good thing is that the S&P should work over the long term and these folks retired early and probably have 40+ years for their plan to run.

I would suggest someone looking at long term funding to look at a single Target Retirement or Lifestyle fund instead of the S&P500 alone. It may be that capital gains taxes are an issue in the K's not revising their fund structure. IMHO they are to be commended in having a good plan and keeping to it. But as drigooch pointed out DCAing out of funds can be a problem.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #13

It seems their philosophy & RE approach is:

simple living includes simple investing

Besides, how could I critique a couple's RE approach who retired WAY earlier than I ever will?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #14

IMHO, Billy and Akaisha are two incredible people that really and truly love each other. (You really can't put a price on true love, can you? ) I visit their website frequently and am constantly inspired by their (ongoing) story. Sure, the value of their portfolio fluctuates, but the 'value' of their lives is constant; as in - constantly increasing and improving! If you ask me, they are very 'wealthy' people, regardless of the $$$ in their portfolio or their investment strategy. I owe them a debt of gratitude for what they freely share on their website. They are a real inspiration. Thanks Billy and Akaisha!

Old 03-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #15

Quote:
I think their message basically boils down to: Take charge of your own life. Don't be swept a long by the expectations of society or mere intertia. If what you want is freedom, you can really have it.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:

Ha
The short answer is no because I know I only have about 15 seconds of your time. Within that time frame:
1) Living below their means (and letting the rest compound).
2) Recognizing that wealth includes more than money (enjoy life).
3) Do it, but have a plan B (& maybe C).
4) Recognizing that there are 2 things that buy hotdogs - realized cap gains and payed-out dividends (if you tell me the 2nd can't be done with the S&P, I agree).

Sorry, out of time..
Old 03-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
A few things make their choice of the S&P(I assume 500?) a good one. First it is simple, second it was the best thing around and as much as I love Joe Dominguiz (Your MOney Or Your Life) his use of Treasuries is bad financial advice, better the S&P500. Yes, there would have been a 40% drop around 2000 but the K's are aware enough to cut back spending or work a little to ad income. The third good thing is that the S&P should work over the long term and these folks retired early and probably have 40+ years for their plan to run.
It has worked out for them so it I applaud their lives while still being able to critique the investment approach. From what I read they retired with $500,000 withdrawing $24,000 per year or an initial withdrawl of 5% per year. Early down years would have killed them but instead they had the giant bull market of the 90's. The market worked out for them and now they are no doubt earning off their experiences. On the other hand when Joe Dominquiz advised treasuries they were yielding 9% per year for 30 years. Both have potential pitfalls yet both provided for early retirement based on a spend what you have available strategy.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
I think their message basically boils down to: Take charge of your own life. Don't be swept a long by the expectations of society or mere intertia. If what you want is freedom, you can really have it.
Let me guess. You have no children, or anybody else in your life that you are responsible for.

Hell, if you are single, or married with no children, etc. etc., you can live for yourself, and no harm no foul.

Your choice, but don't make the mistake that your advice is appropriate for
most people.

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #19

Their book is worth getting - their main point was to LBYM - to me the most important tool they have is their cost per day that they calculate - they have now several (many!) years worth of data to compare their cost per day - this number is fairly constant now and since they've been doing this for so long, the bolus of an airline ticket or other one time large sum doesn't cause such a perturbation.

Their book also focuses on one's attitude toward retirement. They try to alleviate the fears one may have retiring early: what will you do, can you afford it, what about catastrophic events, etc. Yes, they have no children so part of their journey may have been simpler, however, I believe they did do end of life care for several parents and provide other types of family support (not necessarily monetary) that one might have to 'buy' instead.

As they do advocate simplicity in general, again, their choice of the S&P 500 as the majority of their portfolio makes sense - in fact, Billy did a stint as a financial advisor before they retired and after learning about indexes had a twinge of guilt recommending loaded funds to his customers.....so, I'd wager he's got a good sense of the risks involved for them.

All in all, I think they are a fantastic example of one type of early retiree lifestyle - similar to the Terhorsts. To me their message is: retiring early with a 'rich' (in experiences and not necessarily things) lifestyle is possible, even on a shoestring.

Deserat
Old 03-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Let me guess. You have no children, or anybody else in your life that you are responsible for.

Hell, if you are single, or married with no children, etc. etc., you can live for yourself, and no harm no foul.

Your choice, but don't make the mistake that your advice is appropriate for
most people.
Ahh, but see there is the point. It is a choice!! One that you are free to make - you are not a victim of society.

Besides, I didn't say it was my advice, I said it was what I thought the idea behind the book was.