Some new features
Old 04-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some new features

Polls are new!

New smileys:

Code:
:laugh:  O0  ^-^  >:D
With some of the format buttons in posting, you can highlight the text you want bolded or color changed and then click the button to apply the changes to the highlighted text.

Click the "profile" button above and be confused amazed with all the new options.

The "Members" button has moved to the bottom of the main index screen.

In most lists you can now resort the lists by clicking on the column headers. Click the column header a second time to reverse the sort order.

You can click on the by topic/thread listings and it will take you to the first unread message.

The folder icons are a different color for topics/threads you've posted in: vs.

Click on "Forum Profile Information" in your profile to browse through the old and new avatars and choose your time offset from the board clock.

Above each post by the subject, there is an icon paper that is a link directly to the message if you want to link to or bookmark the message.

The new forum is much faster than the old. The database storage makes it faster and enables many of the new features.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Some new features
Old 04-30-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Also, you can now upload attachments instead of having to find a place to store a photo. Click on "Additional Options" at the bottom of the message window when posting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic23281.jpg (15.9 KB, 182 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb pic23281.jpg_thumb (17.2 KB, 0 views)

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Love the photo
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
Developer of FIRECalc

If you didn't think to try it, you can click on the "new" icon in a list of topics, and you'll go right to the first unread message in that thread.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Old 05-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #5

Spell Check: The board software supports it, but apparently the server doesn't have what's needed to implement it. (PHP configured with --with-pspell=...)

So many things are clickable now that weren't clickable before. Try clicking on things and see what you get.

The board tracks many statistics. Some you can see in your profile, and some you can see through other links. At the bottom of the main forum page is a Members List link, a [More Stats] link with interesting board info and the number of guests and users online which links to a list of what these people are looking at! Some statistics are based on post times, and those statistics include the original board's postings. Some statistics are tracked by time on the new board and are valid since April 30, 2005.

The instant message link under each users' name & avatar changes color depending on whether the user is currently online or offline .

The help files are much better than the old software. I'm so used to having bad help links on everything I kept forgetting to check help when helping set up this new software, but the online help is great.

In addition to uploading images for posts, you can upload your own avatar now. The board will automatically resize it so the maximum dimension is 65 pixels. It's not a great resizer, so you may get better results resizing it before you upload.

Dory36 currently has the settings so users can lock and unlock threads they started. Locking a thread prevents others from posting to it.
Unread Topics
Old 05-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #6

Unread Topics

The following link lists topics that have unread messages since your last visit....from all boards. You can now access this from the link under your username at the top of the page.

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...?action=unread

Of course, remember that the button takes you to the first unread message, and yellow folders indicate topics you've posted in before.

EDIT: Edited because we now have the link on the page and know exactly what it does.
Unread Replies
Old 05-01-2005, 09:34 PM   #7

Unread Replies

The following link displays threads you've posted in that have unread replies. This link is also at the top of the page below your username.

8) http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...=unreadreplies 8)

The reason these links aren't on the site is because we're using the "classic" graphic theme & templates to look more like the old board. The are on the new themes.

Dory36, perhaps I can add these links under "Hey, <user>, you have x messages, Y are new"? Go to http://support.simplemachines.org/demo/index.php and login as test, password test and you can see that's where they put these nifty links. Or maybe they can go down by the last 50 posts. While I'm in there I can put a FIRECalc link nearby, too.

While I'm at it, do you mind if I get rid of the gratuitous and gaudy MySQL, PHP, and W3C links at the bottom of the page? I think the SMF and Lewis group links have to stay by terms of the board software license, though.

EDIT: Edited for new info and new link location.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

O.K., I have one gripe, I was about to get on the top 15 posters on this board, and now it's only the top ten! I have no hope cracking that list!

Still absorbing all the increased functionality, but overall I'm beyond wowed! You da man!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
No Graphics
Old 05-01-2005, 10:39 PM   #9

No Graphics

Um, this is a weird one. I found this while trying to make Ol_ Rancher happy:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php/wap2.html

No photos, but a little odd to use. And the "wap2" code doesn't seem to stick if you force it into the recent or unread posts URLs.
Re: Unread Replies
Old 05-02-2005, 05:08 AM   #10
Developer of FIRECalc

Re: Unread Replies

Good ideas! Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
The following link displays threads you've posted in that have unread replies.

The reason these links aren't on the site is because we're using the "classic" graphic theme & templates to look more like the old board. The are on the new themes.

Dory36, perhaps I can add these links under "Hey, <user>, you have x messages, Y are new"? Go to http://support.simplemachines.org/demo/index.php and login as test, password test and you can see that's where they put these nifty links. Or maybe they can go down by the last 50 posts. While I'm in there I can put a FIRECalc link nearby, too.

While I'm at it, do you mind if I get rid of the gratuitous and gaudy MySQL, PHP, and W3C links at the bottom of the page? I think the SMF and Lewis group links have to stay by terms of the board software license, though.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:09 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since its 4am, I hope to god you're feeding a baby too...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:04 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
The following link displays threads you've posted in that have unread replies.

Can an individual get these "new themes" or is it something that has to be applied to the entire board? I wouldnt mind a complete change of appearance at all if it meant direct access to more functionality.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Can an individual get these "new themes" or is it something that has to be applied to the entire board?* I wouldnt mind a complete change of appearance at all if it meant direct access to more functionality.
Yes. In your profile, click on Look and Layout Preferences then click "change" by "Current Theme". The new theme isn't set up for e-r.org yet. Currently there are two themes: default and classic.

The new features have been added to this theme: look in the upper-right under your name.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:45 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Cool...I'm in it now...just a little differently formatted...looks like you guys already pulled all the good stuff over to the default theme.

OK, baby's sleeping again, time for me to go get my second 5 hours...we need a 'yawn' smiley!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Hey TH, I notice you have a new status, "give me a forum..." and some other pillars of the board "get paid by the post". I also noticed you can sort the member list by number of posts, pretty neat! My DW says to not even think about trying to catch up with your post count!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

.... DW? Designated Wife? Divorced Wife? Dish Washer?

Just never asked before :
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Either "Dear" or "Damned", depending on the tone
Old 05-02-2005, 08:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill
Hey TH, I notice you have a new status, "give me a forum..." and some other pillars of the board "get paid by the post". I also noticed you can sort the member list by number of posts, pretty neat! My DW says to not even think about trying to catch up with your post count!
Yeah, bunch of new weird default stuff. I also have "grins" instead of stars for some reason...I had lots and lots of stars last night.

I could be caught...but I dont recommend it.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
...we need a 'yawn' smiley!*

Both Themes are now E-R.org-ized, and I added some smileys and some other goodies I'm sure someone will stumble across soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
I often find myself torn...so torn...between laughing, crying and sticking my tongue out...perhaps more choices would help ease my burden...

When posting, there is now a "[more]" link by the smileys that will pop up a window with some more smileys.

th, this one is especially for you:

Old 05-03-2005, 10:32 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Gee, I coulda used that last month...I actually had cut a sheriffs hat and pasted it on a bunny head and never got around to using it...