Join Early Retirement Today

Colonoscopy
Old 07-22-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Colonoscopy

I've been scheduled for a colonoscopy. I'm 51 and have a colorful medical history. Without getting too graphic, does anyone have any advice? I am dreading any pain associated with it. I hear they pump you up full of gas to a painful level. My Dr. told me that I would be out for the procedure but I wonder if that includes the gas part.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Colonoscopy
Old 07-22-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My wife recently went thru hers in 10 minutes with no sweat. (Actually she mostly slept thru it). Those I've had have been miserable experiences. It's going around the corners that kills me. They should give you a demerol drip. Have them turn it wide open!
Old 07-22-2005, 05:18 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My husband had one several months ago, the kind where they put you out.* The worst part was the prep, where you need to have an empty gut.* Because they put you under you will need someone to take you home. After it's over plan a feast immediately after discharge.

Others recommend waiting a while to eat... but my husband headed for the hospital chow line ASAP.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
I've been scheduled for a colonoscopy.
It isn't nearly the pain in the gut that you think it will be...

REW
Old 07-22-2005, 06:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
The worst part was the prep, where you need to have an empty gut.
Both my wife and I have had ours and there is little to worry about in terms of pain.* Cleaning the gut is the worst part.* I had to drink* a gallon of solution when I had my mine but the wife got some pills she took with water.* I would ask for the pills and be sure you do not get more than 10 paces from the head.
You are better off getting than not getting.
The gas they pump in you will be excaping for awhile so be where the "music" will not embarrass anyone.

Good luck
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #6

No big problem for me, I've had 4 of them. Discommfort but not real pain. The worst part is the soap/stuff you get to drink to clean out your system. I would suggest eating lightly afterward, easy your digestion back into its normal function.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband and I have both had them. There is no pain. The worst part is the prep, then you go to sleep, then you wake up feeling great, then you come home and sleep for the rest of the day.
smooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve
You are better off getting than not getting.
The Navy's nuclear power industry excels at looking for trouble where it could exist, but rarely does. *These extra inspections cost millions of taxpayer dollars and usually end up breaking the equipment that was being inspected. *If I had a nickel for every time I've heard "Well, we were taking *** apart for its quarterly inspection when Schmuckatelli here snapped off a bolt..."

So as fascinating as the subject of a colonoscopy may be, I'm skeptical. *Has any statistical/medical analysis proved that they're worth the risk of poking the probe through an intestinal wall? *Are they recommended for family cancer risks or just because HMOs will reimburse the expense?

I'm hoping that medical science will invent a CAT or PET scan in the next five years (if I remember my age/health guidelines correctly) that does this non-invasively. *Full-motion color and a take-home DVD would be an unexpected bonus. *But living with the current PSA & DRE regime doesn't fill me with optimism when colonoscopy time arrives...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm hoping that medical science will invent a CAT or PET scan in the next five years (if I remember my age/health guidelines correctly) that does this non-invasively. *Full-motion color and a take-home DVD would be an unexpected bonus. *
Nords,
Family history will make a difference when you start and how often you get. You can get a scan now in some areas (MRI?) but the issue is that if they do see something (shadow) you still have to have the roto-rooter treatment. Apparently the reliability of the scan is just not comparable to the full-meal deal.
Since colon cancer is one of the major causes of fatality, general consensus is the colonscopy offers a pretty good risk reward return.
nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #10

I had the procedure done 2 years ago.
I drank this gue to cleanout my guts as well. I did request that the anesthesiologist not knock me out fully. I think I fell asleep though he said I was awake the whole time. It was painless.
Although they advised against it, I rode my bicycle there. I figured if I was too groggy or uncomfortable to ride home, i'd take public transportation. I wasn't so I rode my bike home.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:59 PM   #11

When I turned 50, I asked my doctor about and his response was that it wasn't as important as it's cracked up to be. He felt that it was a big deal about it because of Katie Couric. The downsides are that it is not without risk (though he said he's done thousands and had no punctures) and it's expensive.

Amazing that a doc wouldn't give more of a CYA response.

So, since I'm low on the risk factors I decided to wait until I'm 55.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:03 PM   #12

My doc said he recommends all his patients get one when they turn 50. Said he had two patients in the last year in their late 50's both diagnosed with colon cancer. One was caught early and had a good prognosis. The other was caught late and... well, I scheduled mine for the following week.

Glad to have it behind me...

REW
Old 07-22-2005, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
When I turned 50, I asked my doctor about and his response was that it wasn't as important as it's cracked up to be.* He felt that it was a big deal about it because of Katie Couric.* The downsides are that it is not without risk (though he said he's done thousands and had no punctures) and it's expensive.

Amazing that a doc wouldn't give more of a CYA response.

So, since I'm low on the risk factors I decided to wait until I'm 55.
I'm 60 and I am waiting forever, i.e. I am not having any, not now, not ever.
I have better things to do than test and screen for every possible
affliction. *DW thinks I overdo it (tests) already and she has a point. * I'm
not afraid of dying. *It is kind of final though.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I'm 60 and I am waiting forever, i.e. I am not having any, not now, not ever.
JG, you remind me of an old curmudgeon I knew growing up. His motto was "Whatever it is, I'm agin' it!"

REW
Old 07-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooch
My husband and I have both had them. There is no pain. The worst part is the prep, then you go to sleep, then you wake up feeling great, then you come home and sleep for the rest of the day.
Sometimes I have a few beers while out fishing, "come home and sleep for the
rest of the day", and there is no prep involved. Well, I have to check the gas and
buy bait, but still............

JG
Old 07-22-2005, 07:33 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
So as fascinating as the subject of a colonoscopy may be, I'm skeptical. *Has any statistical/medical analysis proved that they're worth the risk of poking the probe through an intestinal wall? *Are they recommended for family cancer risks or just because HMOs will reimburse the expense?
You are right to be skeptical...at my local doctors office (group practice) they (the doctors) are instructed by management to "over-prescribe" colonscopies, for just about any ailment that might even remotely be in the same area...apparently it is a very lucrative procedure for the medical profession...my doctor (whom is also a friend), admitted this freely.

So if your doctor suggests you need one...perhaps a second opinion or some self-research on the 'net is in order to see if it is worth it; I've also heard (sketchy on the facts here I admit, but I am too young to have needed one myself ) that there are two types of colonscopies..one that goes in a little, is less uncomfortable and costs less (and therefore less profitable) and a more invasive version where they go waaaaay in...much more uncomfortable, and costs a lot more (and thus is more profitable for the docs)...and I've read there is no statistical evidence that the more invasive procedure is better (in terms of finding things)...so guess which procedure is used more? You guessed it, the more expensive, more invasive and more profitable procedure which is no better than the cheaper, easier alternative.....

farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
JG, you remind me of an old curmudgeon I knew growing up.* His motto was "Whatever it is, I'm agin' it!"*

REW
Yeah, I have noticed that. I plead guilty. Not too sure why this is
as I am "for" lots of stuff. For some reason, I get the most worked up
(and respond accordingly) when I am opposed to something, and yes.........
it is a very long list.

JG
Old 07-22-2005, 07:53 PM   #18

I've had two of them. First one, I was wide awake. I asked the doc to show me the tool after he was through. Bad idea. Very long and the idea of it was frightening. Best way to experience it is to be asleep. They put you down with the minimum drug needed, and you wake up with a little gas.

And whoever said the prep was the worse part of it is correct. Just to clean out your bowels. First time, I had to drink a gallon of the most awful stuff. Sit close to the toilet for your own safety and that of your family. Nowadays, you don't have to drink a gallon, but it's very potent.

BTW: The last time, the doc said I had some polyps and wanted to do it again in two years. Coming up on 3 now, and I guess this September, I get violated (inspected). Probably better than dying, though....

What would be the best line for this experience. "Did you find Osama Bin Laden while you were in there?" or "WMD"? I think I saw an internet joke with a bunch of punch lines for this...

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
I think I saw an internet joke with a bunch of punch lines for this...
Yep, you sure did...you posted them here (reply #53):

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...?topic=3142.45

First thing to go is your memory....

REW
Old 07-22-2005, 08:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Yep, you sure did...you posted them here (reply #53):

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...?topic=3142.45

First thing to go is your memory....

REW
Thank Goodness it wasn't the same ones. But, you are correct!!!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote