Join Early Retirement Today

A Typical ER Day
Old 10-17-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

A Typical ER Day

I'm going to hang it up in December, 2006-- one month shy of my 59th birthday.* My DW is very concerned that I won't find happiness or stimulation in ER.* I told her that I think most people wonder when they had time to work. I hope I'm right. So I'm asking:* What is your typical day like; and do you miss "gainful employment" at all?
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: A Typical ER Day
Old 10-17-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sort of fallen back into the saddle again, but my one year of my first ER was great.* Just the shear freedom was the big thing.* The ability to go places on weekdays so as to beat the other 98% of the population was huge to us.* I learned that lesson living in Hawaii.* Going to the beach on a weekend was a nonstarter for me.* Going to the beach on a week day was like being on an island.* A deserted island.
I still had a kid in middle school so long term travel was not easy.
Had that not been the case (I tried to get the circus to take him) life really would have been wild.
Looking forward to ER # 2.* 8)
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:01 PM   #3

Hmm, any answers you get will be self-selecting. Anybody who got bored in retirement or had the urge to go back to work probably went back to work and stopped posting here.

I suspect that your DW is raising this concern out of her own self-interest. She doesn't want you around the house. This hasn't been a problem for my wife and me, since we both have many places to hide.

Personally, I've never been bored for a second. I just don't see how boredom could be possible unless there's something about your work that really lights your fire. Try retirement for a year. If you don't like it, go back to work.

As for your original question, a typical day for me is enjoying time with my family and pets, playing outside, and learning something new. It's like being a kid again.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #4

When people used to ask me this, I would get a little defensive and give a long explanation of all the things I do. It got to be boring for me and I'm sure for them.
Lately, I just say( and I learned this from the forum):
Well, I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I've gotten less than half of it done.
It was an issue for a quite a few people when I was 50, but it seems to be easing as I've reached 55, and I've gotten more grey and more handsome.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:40 AM   #5

Here's mine for today (unless I change my mind)

Up early with DW to get my goodbye kiss
(5:30 on her work days). Then, back to bed. Up whenever
and feed the dogs. Load the boat, chexk my gear/beer/snacks;
fish until I get as many as I want to clean or run out of bait/beer.
Come home, clean up, store gear, check mail and kill time until cocktail hour. After dinner....................
Watch the evening news and read until
I get tired, then off to bed, although this time of year I may watch some baseball.

Next day? Repeat

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:18 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't miss employment whatsoever. I did for the first few yrs but that was a long time ago and I don't now.
Hubby and I are early risers so most days we're up by 5:30 am. Three days a week he works (outside maintenance that he LOVES) so I fix his breakfast and lunch while he showers and gets ready for work.
My day consists of housework, cooking, laundry and yardwork. Since it's just the two of us this doesn't take long. I'm an AVID reader and will spend a few hrs a day reading.
There is also the dog to walk and the "granddog" to go get and take care of for the day. (I just can't resist)
Several times a month I have breakfast with friends. And on hubby's days off we usually go out for breakfast and then run any errands for the week. (I hate to shop/he loves to shop)
On dreary days we like to hit the local bookstore for a latte and a few hrs of relaxation. (during the week when it's quiet) Other days we hike, snowshoe, canoe, or cut up some firewood.
And there is always family to visit and help out with small projects.
No boredom here.

kz
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Well, I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I've gotten less than half of it done.
DanTien,
* * * * * * * With your permission, I will use this quote as part of my signature. It certainly describes my typical day.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Here's mine for today (unless I change my mind)*

Up early with DW to get my goodbye kiss
(5:30 on her work days).* Then, back to bed.* Up whenever
and feed the dogs.* Load the boat, chexk my gear/beer/snacks;
fish until I get as many as I want to clean or run out of bait/beer.
Come home, clean up, store gear, check mail and kill time until cocktail hour.* After dinner....................
Watch the evening news and read until
I get tired, then off to bed, although this time of year I may watch some baseball.

Next day?* * * * * *Repeat*
JG
That really sounds like a relaxing day. Golf is #1 for me, but I could easily find room for some late afternoon fishing. I hope I can find a small cabin on a lake one day.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
When people used to ask me this, I would get a little defensive and give a long explanation of all the things I do. It got to be boring for me and I'm sure for them.
It was an issue for a quite a few people when I was 50, but it seems to be easing as I've reached 55, and I've gotten more grey and more handsome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher
DanTien,
With your permission, I will use this quote as part of my signature. It certainly describes my typical day.
Sure absolutely, just don't tell Nords, I just did a search and he's used it, except he tries to get half of nothing done. Why I don't know...
Old 10-18-2005, 12:40 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I appreciate all the replies.*

I like the idea of the structure of doing "nothing" or "anything"
on my own time.* I want to wake up late, if I want to.* Have the time to excercize and stretch and maybe take a swim, weather permitting.* I want to have a nice breakfast with DW and sit on the deck and enjoy a 3rd or 4th cup of coffee.* I would be willing to have some jobs--such as vacuuming and helping dust and doing the yard work and then decide what to do for the rest of the day over lunch.* I guess it boils down to setting my own pace and not having to answer to anyone except my DW.

education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:53 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
What is your typical day like; and do you miss "gainful employment" at all?
Lately, I spend most of it answering the first question of that quote:
Waddya do all day?
No, really, what DO you do all day?
OK, I give up. What do you TELL people that you do all day?

As for the second question, I'm so gainfully employed at ER that sometimes I feel like I need a vacation. Being responsible for your own entertainment means that you have no one to blame when you overschedule yourself...

'Scuse me, I have to go see how my spouse is doing painting the guest bedroom.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 06:29 AM   #12

Today will be typical.

Up before 6am. Make coffee. Putz on the laptop. Make DW's tea. Walk out on the dock to check the crab traps. Have breakfast. Finish the kitchen plumbing as new counter tops were installed yesterday. Go tinker with the corroding terminals on my brother's fishing boat. Try out the new artifical bait that the Bell South guy told me about (hey, they must know... they're the phone company, hello!) Call my other brother and plan Friday's day trip to Myrtle Beach for some fun and Calabash eatin'.* Saw up the old counter tops and distribute the remains in the neighborhood dumpsters. Get to HD for some plumbing thing I've forgotten.... By then its the cocktail hour. Shower, put on a hawaiian type shirt pop-a-top and watch the sunset with DW.

I wake up each day with nothing to do and fall asleep having accomplished only half of it.

Just another day in paradise.
Lord, don't take me now.... While I was working... You coudda taken me then, but not now. OK?

Old 10-19-2005, 06:57 AM   #13

I can tell you how my Dh's day is and the first item might sound strange except for an injury from a motorcycle accident leaves one thumb immobile.

Gets up with me at 5 so I can braid his hair
Walks the dog and makes sure he gets his meds
Meets his son for breakfast
After breakfast he either, cleans up around the house, does the food shopping or some yard work or any other task I've assigned him.
Meets friends for lunch at the beach or the breakfast resturant
Weather permitting he'll take a putt on the bike
Makes sure he's home about an hour before I arrive to take his short nap then start dinner.
After dinner we head outside (weather permitting) to lounge in the back yard, maybe have a fire in the pit or just hang out with my parents next door. Weather not permitting we just hang inside till bedtime.

I don't care what he does all day as long as when I ask him to do something that either I would have to take time off to do or it would just be easier for him to do during the day, I don't get the " I don't have time" statement.

I also don't expect his routine to change much once I retire, maybe he'll have lunches at home more or I'll go with him but for the most part when I take a day off or a few days vacation he keeps to the same ritual .. well..except the getting up at 5, he scales it back to 6 so I can sleep in a little.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
I can tell you how my Dh's day is and the first item might sound strange except for an injury from a motorcycle accident leaves one thumb immobile.

Gets up with me at 5 so I can braid his hair
Walks the dog and makes sure he gets his meds
Meets his son for breakfast
After breakfast he either, cleans up around the house, does the food shopping or some yard work or any other task I've assigned him.
Meets friends for lunch at the beach or the breakfast resturant
Weather permitting he'll take a putt on the bike
Makes sure he's home about an hour before I arrive to take his short nap then start dinner.
After dinner we head outside (weather permitting) to lounge in the back yard, maybe have a fire in the pit or just hang out with my parents next door.* Weather not permitting we just hang inside till bedtime.

I don't care what he does all day as long as when I ask him to do something that either I would have to take time off to do or it would just be easier for him to do during the day, I don't get the " I don't have time" statement.* *

I also don't expect his routine to change much once I retire, maybe he'll have lunches at home more or I'll go with him but for the most part when I take a day off or a few days vacation he keeps to the same ritual .. well..except the getting up at 5, he scales it back to 6 so I can sleep in a little.
Item No. one does sound a bit strange even for a biker

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:26 AM   #15

it does sound strange but after the accident he was unable to do it himself, can't bring himself to cut as it's become a signature thing for him so I assumed the task. He's actually surprisingly agreeable to anything I ask while I'm braiding, but that might have to do with the pair of sissors within my reach LOL

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:39 AM   #16

The only thing i'd ever miss about work would be the money.* *Its also the only thing that would cause me to pause before pulling the trigger.

Outside of money, i literally cant not even identify with or understand the concept of actually missing the work.* *Its hard for me to imagine that there might be people out there that would get out of bed before they wanted to wanting to go to work just for the sheer fun of it.* *Yeah, i can think of a few workaholics here that dont even use up all their leave, but the majority of people i know would give anything to not have to come into work.

I work because i need the money.* *That's it.* *I say if you dont need (or want) the money, then dont even give it a second thought.* *Retire.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:08 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Today was DH's first day home in retirement. Instead of getting up at 5 a.m., he woke up with me at 6 a.m., and we read the newspaper. His plan for the day was to do some yard work, and start reading a book that was given to him for his birthday (Civil War), and just take it easy. I am resisting the urge to call him from work to see what he is really doing on his first full day at home.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger
Today was DH's first day home in retirement. Instead of getting up at 5 a.m., he woke up with me at 6 a.m., and we read the newspaper. His plan for the day was to do some yard work, and start reading a book that was given to him for his birthday (Civil War), and just take it easy. I am resisting the urge to call him from work to see what he is really doing on his first full day at home.
Ginger - Maybe he can enroll on the forum. Are you willing to let him read what you've been saying about him?
You guys could become another Martha/Greg duo...they are so entertaining aren't they?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:54 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
The only thing i'd ever miss about work would be the money.* *

I work because i need the money.* *That's it.* *I say if you dont need (or want) the money, then dont even give it a second thought.* *Retire.
I agree 100%.

I am here for a paycheck. I want (not need) to sock away a few more $$$$ in my accounts before I want to ER (again). DW is also still working and has 19 months to go before she wants to ER. Every month I work is that much more I am not spending and that much more I can save or spend on "stuff." I could ER today but I choose not to. We have some things we want to get out of the way first and we want to ER at the same time but me going first is a very strong possibility. It is just nice knowing I can ER whenever I choose. That makes the work far less stressful.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
It is just nice knowing I can ER whenever I choose.
So true! I felt lighter than air.