Join Early Retirement Today

Got any spare change, mister?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got any spare change, mister?

I'd seen this a while back but hadnt gotten around to doing anything about it.

The "coinstar" change counting machines found in many stores and markets now will usually have an option to give you an amazon gift certificate instead of cash, with no 'counting fee'. 100% of your spare change goes into a certificate!

We had the usual 10-15 years worth of jars and whatnot filled with coins. Took mine down and got $106.29 for my troubles.

Pretty straightforward...push a few buttons, select amazon e-certificate, dump your coins into a hinged tray, lift the tray to feed coins through a horizontal slot, when its done it spits out a receipt with a redemption code you type into the gift certificate field during checkout. Its pretty immediate, because when I got home from the market I bought a baby gate and the certificate was already valid.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Got any spare change, mister?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I roll my own 8)

Old 02-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

That's my line... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I roll my own* 8)

Gosh--aren't they hard to light?
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We used to roll them too, then take them to the bank and 'walk the plank' with them while they weighed and measured and called homeland security.

Unless you dont use amazon, this was a pretty good deal. For 8c or 10c on the dollar for the regular deal, I'd roll 'em too.

I wonder if they collect that change periodically or just sell it to the store the machine is in for their change needs. That'd be a pretty good deal...just lease out a machine that would count and roll coins, split the 8% with the store you put it in.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
We had the usual 10-15 years worth of jars and whatnot filled with coins.* Took mine down and got $106.29 for my troubles.
Which takes less time & hassle:
1) the Coinstar approach

2) actually carrying a buck or two of pocket change and spending it once a week?

3)... alternate approaches involving child labor, lottery tickets, side bets during the golf match, etc.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Since I use my 5% dividend card for most purchases, and the 1% card for about everything else, randomly generated coin never gets spent

Old 02-13-2006, 09:53 AM   #8

Then there's the approach of the guy in front of me at a recent lunch outing to Hardee's (Carl Jr's, for you non southeast atlantic coast types). The guy had the counter covered in assorted silver and copper coins to pay for his ~$5 lunch purchase. Unfortunately, the coins repeatedly dropped on the floor prior to being accepted by the cashier. After a few minutes of this comedy routine, he finally counted out enough coins to appease the cashier, and I got my turn to order my dead cow sandwich (I paid with a $10 bill). Nords, was that you in front of me in line?

My local credit union now has free coin counting machines in most branches. Problem solved. I don't usually make that many cash transactions, since I, like CFB, use my 5%/1% dividend card almost all the time, even if it's just a buck or two. 8)

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Nords, was that you in front of me in line?*
Introduce yourself next time-- I'm there every day!

Just kidding. At least when we do this for our CostCo pizza I have the stuff counted out & piled up in advance. But my face is so honest & trustworthy that the cashiers rarely bother to count it anyway.

Our kid watched the movie "Paper Moon" with Grandpa last week, and she's been making change for $5 & $10 bills with all her less-acculturated friends. I'm expecting parental phone calls any day now...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I think they just look at ya and say "hmmm...looks like a guy that would live in a sunken thin metal tube with a nuclear bomb at one end" and just give you the pizza.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Then there's the approach of the guy in front of me at a recent lunch outing to Hardee's (Carl Jr's, for you non southeast atlantic coast types).* The guy had the counter covered in assorted silver and copper coins to pay for his ~$5 lunch purchase.* Unfortunately, the coins repeatedly dropped on the floor prior to being accepted by the cashier.* After a few minutes of this comedy routine, he finally counted out enough coins to appease the cashier, and I got my turn to order my dead cow sandwich (I paid with a $10 bill).* Nords, was that you in front of me in line?*

My local credit union now has free coin counting machines in most branches.* Problem solved.* I don't usually make that many cash transactions, since I, like CFB, use my 5%/1% dividend card almost all the time, even if it's just a buck or two.* *8)

One of my pet peeves: Someone in front of me counting out exact change for a item costing $2.38! I want to yank out my Citibank dividend card and pay for the item myself.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Or someone's just ahead of you, in line for the past ten minutes, and finally fumbling for their wallet or checkbook, after the clerk has finished...

Guess having to pay was a surprise...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #13

No, it is someone in the 15 item line with 25 items! I normaly ask them if they can count.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #14

Someone writing a check and then LOGGING it into their checkbook gets my panties in a bunch. Who writes checks these days?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if retirement will slow you folks down a bit.

Why the rush when you have the rest of the day to get 'er done?

Then you too can afford the time to count out 20 years accumulation of coppers for an item and really piss off those behind you in line who are still working and far less free time to burn.

Breath in..............breath out.................think calm thoughts and be one with the universe.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Someone ... gets my panties in a bunch.
Is this another one of your crazy contests, cube_rat? What do I need to do to win?!
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Nah, retirement doesnt chill you out. Still bugs me when someone writes a check for four bucks and change and waits until the whole thing is rung up to take out the wallet.

I do suppose the store might change its name, the customer might change theirs, a whole day might go by, or they might decide at the last moment that they're not really in a buying mood.

Nothing beats the two young scumbags in line 2 ahead of me at walmart who successively brought out at least a dozen cards each, all of which were rejected, who then brought out a checkbook (what are the odds?) and yep...that was rejected too!

Oh yeah, that was for a 12-pack of soda and a bag of chips.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Is this another one of your crazy contests, cube_rat? What do I need to do to win?!
Guess if I'm wearing twisted panties
Old 02-13-2006, 08:51 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If I wasnt looking at that gawdawful picture, I'd say you're not wearing any!
Old 02-14-2006, 07:23 AM   #20

Attached Images
File Type: jpg thong.jpg (33.8 KB, 87 views)