Join Early Retirement Today

new computer
Old 03-27-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

new computer

I just got a new work computer today, an IBM thinkpad. I won't be back at work for a while. Any idea on how to change the contrast? The screen is too bright; it hurts my eyes.

Also, it has a pretty small screen as I was going for portability. How can I change the size of the print on the screen? I can hardly see these teeney letters.

Thanks for any help.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: new computer
Old 03-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #2

Martha,

As for changing the Brightness, my computer has function keys to do it. MIne are F5 for reducing and F6 for increasing brightness. Look at your function keys and see if they have an Icon of a "SUN" on them.

Increasing the size of the Font is for Old people that have not discovered "cheater Glasses' yet. But if you really want to do it - Go to your Desktop Properties under Settings tab and change the resolution of your screen.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have the bifocals as I joined the presbyoterian church sometime ago. Thanks for the tip on the function keys. Never noticed that before!

Old 03-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Which Thinkpad did you get? I'm thinking about getting a T43.

I had a T30 when I worked for IBM, I kind of miss it...
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

To show how computer illiterate I am, I don't know what model it is.

I see the little brightness thingy on the F5 function key. How do I make it work?

Old 03-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
To show how computer illiterate I am, I don't know what model it is.

I see the little brightness thingy on the F5 function key. How do I make it work?
Martha,

On my small laptop - There is an Fn Key toward the lower left on the keyboard. Hold it down while pushing the F5 key.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #7

I have an older thinkpad. *On mine, the function key is in the lower left hand corner and has Fn on it. *On my keypad, to reduce brightness you hold down the function key and hit the End key near the upper righthand corner of the keypad. *To increase the brightness, use Function and the Home key simultaneously (also near the upper righthand corner).

On my machine, Function F5 is to enabler a bluetooth connection.

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I am such a dope. Yes, squeegee, Function F5 did a bluetooth thing. But the function key plus Home or End turns the brightness up or down. Now I can read again. Tho the print is sure small. Thanks guys.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Martha, I'm using Firefox browser and you can increase the text size by going up to "View" and clicking on "text size" "Increase". I assume that stinky Microsoft browser has some thing similar...

Old 03-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #10

In Firefox control + or control - changes the text size.

Grumpy
Old 03-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right click on the plain empty desktop, click 'properties', settings, advanced, then change the DPI size to 'large size'.

You might also fool with the 'screen resolution' back on the 'settings' tab. Reducing the resolution will lower how much stuff you can fit on the screen, but increases how large stuff becomes.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:56 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a similiar issue w/ my laptop which has a 14" SVGA+ display and runs at 1400x1080 resolution. I played around w/ higher DPI and with reduced resolution and ended up using the native resolution (changing the defaults caused some funky issues). Increasing the font size in FireFox can definitely help.

LCD screens look their best when run at native resolution. If I change the display settings to 1024x768 everything looks blurry.

If you have a small screen w/ very high res you might reconsider the machine and get one w/ a lower res screen.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I have a similiar issue w/ my laptop which has a 14" SVGA+ display and runs at 1400x1080 resolution. I played around w/ higher DPI and with reduced resolution and ended up using the native resolution (changing the defaults caused some funky issues). Increasing the font size in FireFox can definitely help.

LCD screens look their best when run at native resolution. If I change the display settings to 1024x768 everything looks blurry.

If you have a small screen w/ very high res you might reconsider the machine and get one w/ a lower res screen.
I figured out the font size in FireFox. Thanks all for that tip. At least it makes web pages easier to read.

I have the same resolution as you do JB. I did change the DPI as SCFB suggests and that helps some.

I am having gadget overload. I got this new computer from work yesterday and walked out the door 5 minutes later. I actually had trouble finding the on switch when I got home. Also got a new digital camera. And Greg got a replacement cell phone. All in one day. Kept fed ex busy. Camera and phone are charging. I hope we can make them work.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Smack the laptop a couple of times where the camera and cell phone can see it. They wont give you much trouble after that.

Thats SENIOR SCFB lady! And by the end of the day, it might be DOCTOR SENIOR SCFB!

Alright, i'm backing away from the coffee now...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:49 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Does the foxfire trick work on macs, too? I can't wait to try it on my 12" iBook.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #16

I'm booting up my new 14" iBook now. Hold on a sec ...

Yep, it works. Use the apple key and + or - to change text size in Firefox.

Grumpy
Old 03-28-2006, 08:57 AM   #17

Quote:
bifocals
A set of glasses for the computer may improve the quality of your life. Sit the way your normally do, and measure the distance to the screen. Next time you visit your optometrist, tell them that distance, and have them make up some glasses for the computer. That way you can often have the wrong glasses on.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:02 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I read so much that I had full size reading glasses made for me, that end up sitting on top of my head alot.

I like the idea of computer glasses, but two sets of glasses on top of my head? I'll have to get a set of those old lady chains to hold my glasses like a necklace.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I read so much that I had full size reading glasses made for me, that end up sitting on top of my head alot.

I like the idea of computer glasses, but two sets of glasses on top of my head? I'll have to get a set of those old lady chains to hold my glasses like a necklace.
Psssst. "Tri-focals" heh, heh, heh...

Old 03-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Bring some pancakes to the optometrist. Have him grind those to spec. Then when they're on your head, they wont feel so silly.