Join Early Retirement Today

Paying your taxes while travelling
Old 04-17-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Paying your taxes while travelling

Since this is tax season and i'll begin travelling within a couple of months. I was wondering if there was an easier way to pay estimated quarterly or 1040 return taxes?
So I did a bit of searching and found EFTPS website which will let you electronically pay your US estimated quarterly taxes for free.
When I called customer service, they couldn't answer whether I could use this service to also pay the tax due from a 1040 return.

Of course, I still have to figure out how to pay state taxes if any is due.

Anyone use this service?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Paying your taxes while travelling
Old 04-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #2

just starting to study this myself. not familiar with eftps but thanx for posting it. while doing taxes on turbotax this year an advertisement came up for one of their products which i believe serves a similar function. here is link to it
www.estimatedtaxes.com

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
just starting to study this myself. not familiar with eftps but thanx for posting it. while doing taxes on turbotax this year an advertisement came up for one of their products which i believe serves a similar function. here is link to it
www.estimatedtaxes.com
Thanks. The one difference I see is that EFTPS, a US government agency, is free.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

YES! EFTPS is the way to go. Direct line to the US treasury. No fees or anything. Fairly easy to set up (although it does involve some initial US mail to get passwords, etc.).

Gosh - the IRS just raided my bank account this morning! (but only took what they were owed).

Been doing it this way for almost 3 years now. So much easier and more secure than mail.

We also file electronically.

Now if only we could get all our tax statements electronically - none of this forms sent in the mail cr$p - I'd be a much happy camper.

Audrey
Old 04-17-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
So I did a bit of searching and found EFTPS website which will let you electronically pay your US estimated quarterly taxes for free.
When I called customer service, they couldn't answer whether I could use this service to also pay the tax due from a 1040 return.
Yes, we've used it for a couple years now.

Estimated taxes are painless. You can even schedule payments for the whole year if you wish.

We usually pay our tax bill with our TurboTax e-filing, but you can also pay via EFTPS. I've never used it for that purpose but the menu buttons appear to let you do so...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

EFTPS looks great and I found that Minnesota also lets you pay estimates electronically. Anyone know if Arizona has something similar?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #7

Ditto on AZ. Will probably need it after I settle there later this year.

Martha, you thinking getting a 2nd home there?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
We usually pay our tax bill with our TurboTax e-filing, but you can also pay via EFTPS.* I've never used it for that purpose but the menu buttons appear to let you do so...
Hmmmm - through Turbotax? We e-filed through Turbotax, but I set up the 1040 payment directly through EFTPS.

My husband takes care of Turbotax, and I take care of the EFTPS stuff, so I haven't actually looked at the Turbotax buttons.

Audrey
Old 04-18-2006, 01:36 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Hmmmm - through Turbotax?* We e-filed through Turbotax, but I set up the 1040 payment directly through EFTPS.*
My husband takes care of Turbotax, and I take care of the EFTPS stuff, so I haven't actually looked at the Turbotax buttons.
When you get to the TurboTax step for e-filing, it also sets up an EFT from your checking account with the IRS. When the return is accepted by the IRS, the EFT is also effective.

Our Hawaii tax returns, when filed electronically, also accept payment via EFT. If we have to file paper then we have to mail a check with the paper return.

If for some reaons TurboTax can't file the federal return electronically (like a huge Schedule D) then you can still send in a paper return and make the payment via EFTPS.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:58 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

OK - We have done it that way (actually received a refund) - but it doesn't actually use your EFTPS account - it just does a direct electronic transfer to/from your bank account.

The reason I go into the EFTPS system for all payments is that it keeps a nice payment history for you. I like having a record of all my payments in one spot.

Audrey
Old 04-18-2006, 06:22 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We just set up a mail service and residency in Florida when we were travelling and files taxes based on that address. In fact I still maintain the same address to this day and file taxes there each year.

This is how the RV'ers and Boaties do it all the time.

No such address as Boat "Bewdy II" Dock 407 St. Marten Netherland Antilles.

Or, RV "GO4LIFE", Park pad 407, Wherever.

SWR
Old 04-18-2006, 08:07 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Thanks MJ - I didn't know about this, but I think I'm going to give it a try soon for estimated tax payments.

For regular taxes though, I've been using TurboTax Online (small discount through Vanguard) for the past few years, and so it's been all done online with direct deposit (or withdrawal) from my checking account.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Ditto on AZ. Will probably need it after I settle there later this year.

Martha, you thinking getting a 2nd home there?
No, we pay taxes in Arizona as we have been selling investment property there.

I did find that Arizona allows ETF (electronic funds transfer) to pay taxes and estimates. http://www.revenue.state.az.us/Eservice/eft.asp

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:43 AM   #14

Sorry to pile on, but I use EFTPS too and it's terrific. As a matter of fact, it almost restores some faith in the US govt. (of course they perform when it comes to getting money from you)

I just set my estimates once a year, and it does them on auto pilot. It's really a great system
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote