Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

on the path 6 - when men plan; god laughs
Old 05-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

on the path 6 - when men plan; god laughs

i've done everthing but give my notice letter.

hurt my arm biking today painful to move.

priceless
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: on the path 6 - when men plan; god laughs
Old 05-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I hope you are OK. But at least you found an interesting way to injure yourself. I have my elbow in ice right now, because I pulled the starter cord on my mower and crashed my elbow into a tree right behind me. Shockingly small give to a tree trunk.

No excuse for this sort of thing.

Ha
Old 05-22-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recently allowed a toe on my right foot engage in a one-on-one UFC-style match with a living room sofa table. Needless to say, my toe lost... :P
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #4

safe retirement

just before er i discovered mountain biking. we have some pretty challenging single track in florida, made tricky by an extreme amount of pine roots. so before i learned about protection equipment, the sport taught me about endovers.

there was a bit of a drop ahead so i thought i should get up some speed to clear. what i didn't see was that drop started with a root crossing the path and raised just enough to catch the front wheel. i had no idea i could fly so far or land so hard.

so enjoy your early retirement but don't forget to wear your protection.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
so enjoy your early retirement but don't forget to wear your protection.
That goes for mountain biking and other "activities" in early-retirement...
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

several screws and the attachment of some ligaments.
4 to 6 weeks of rehab.

i wish there was a life lesson here.

all i can think of is go slower
Old 05-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

So that is where you've been the past week.

Ouch!

So you at least got time off of work, eh?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
4 to 6 weeks of rehab.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds fairly serious. Heal well and fast.
When I ride my bike, I sometimes pray that the gods keep me safe from people. Funny thing is, the last 2 spills were caused by stuff on the ground. Luckily in both cases, a visit to my chiropractor "straightened" me out.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Each of my four siblings had severe accidents on bikes -- three head injuries among them, extended time in the hospital, all okay later eventually.

Guess who never rides a bike. I actually "tried" a couple years ago and bought one, and it's still in the box. And I've got the Motobecane racing bike from when I quit at 17 and decided to count my blessings.

Don't mean to rain on anybody's parade. Have fun! I'll stick to hiking on the trails.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:36 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

i can only type w/one hand.
i go to the dr. on Fri.
i will stop biking for awhile
i hope this will not stop me from working out with weights; i that was going to help me stay fit.
life can change in an instant ... i will try to go a bit slower in all the things i do.
a heathly body and mind is very important to an enjoyable re
Old 05-29-2006, 07:42 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I decided many a few years ago that I'm not training for anything but life, so I do weight training and bicycling, but at a leisurely pace...

No more jumping out of perfectly good airplanes or other crazy $hit... 8)

Was recently challenged to ride some crazy contraption at a street fair, but I have this rule: a$$ always lower than head... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
Each of my four siblings had severe accidents on bikes -- three head injuries among them, extended time in the hospital, all okay later eventually.

Guess who never rides a bike. I actually "tried" a couple years ago and bought one, and it's still in the box. And I've got the Motobecane racing bike from when I quit at 17 and decided to count my blessings.

Don't mean to rain on anybody's parade. Have fun! I'll stick to hiking on the trails.
Yes, I used to have perfectly skin on my backside, shoulder, arms, and legs. After a few years of racing, I have just big-ass scars. The thing is that racing also put me in the best shape of my life. There's something to be said about 6% body fat, a 35 beats per minute resting heart rate, and the feeling that I can accomplish anything. Of course, I paid for that with the scars, the new bike parts, and the new helmets. Then again, just driving around is very dangerous, and you can't even get in shape while doing that. My point is that every activity has its benefit and cost.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes, I used to have perfectly skin on my backside, shoulder, arms, and legs. After a few years of racing, I have just big-ass scars. The thing is that racing also put me in the best shape of my life. There's something to be said about 6% body fat, a 35 beats per minute resting heart rate, and the feeling that I can accomplish anything. Of course, I paid for that with the scars, the new bike parts, and the new helmets. Then again, just driving around is very dangerous, and you can't even get in shape while doing that. My point is that every activity has its benefit and cost.
Isn't veal high in fat? Sounds like you need to change your name from bunsofveal to bunsofsteel.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
I agree about there being benefits and costs to everything. I find my favorite is a 20 mile hike in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks. Worst thing so far is an attack by a swarm of black flies. (About 300 bites.)

But gosh do I shake my head in wonder about the fools on bikes in the back woods. It's hard enough not to trip over some of those roots when you're walking.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
4 to 6 weeks of rehab.

did the same thing about 15 years ago. Big screw, pins, wire etc. Elbow was compound-fractured and bleeding like mad. I still have the screw. I'm thinking of using it as a lag screw when I build my bathhouse at my rec. property.

I borrowed my stepdad's bike and didn't give it a safety check (lesson learned!). The front brake caliper came unbolted from the forks, traveled around, and jammed in the forks, launching me.

don't know the specifics of your injury but I was told I may never get full range of motion back. I said to myself bulls#($ and proceeded to go at phsycial therapy like I was killing snakes. Today--no problems. Although I'm guessing arthritis might be more likely down the road.