Join Early Retirement Today

Brits?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Brits?

Most English-language discussion forums seem to have a good contingent of people from Britain and Ireland. I've noticed mostly Americans, American ex-pats, and the occasional obnoxious Canadian here. Or are you all taken care of from 35 to the grave by your friendly government? Or perhaps the whole idea of a big retirement is a more North American concept?
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Brits?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the absence is due to Brits wanting to use british made products, and there arent any british computers.

They havent figured out how to make them leak oil yet.

Funny, no canadian made computers either. You'd think they'd have a superior model out by now...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper Bunny
I think the absence is due to Brits wanting to use british made products, and there arent any british computers.
Sinclair ZX-80.
Acorn (the "BBC computer," which was actually a kick-butt machine in its day.)
Apricot

[Edited to fix Acorn/Apricot mix-up]

Quote:
Funny, no canadian made computers either.
Commodore PET?

Added: The VIC-20 was also apparently produced in Ontario.

bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper Bunny
Funny, no canadian made computers either.* You'd think they'd have a superior model out by now...
One of the first portables was Canadian.

Hyperion
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I guess I was talking about something more powerful than a calculator
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe because anyone rich enough to retire early moved away from that lousy weather?

(Sigh), but they'll always have the spice girls...mmmm...baby spice....
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:44 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, all the ER Brits too busy watching the World Cup to post, or even lurk much....
Old 06-16-2006, 01:53 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

I've thought about posting before ..... but aliens seem to be given a hard time here ...... or is it, perhaps, that for some strange reason only obnoxious aliens are attracted to this board?*
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:32 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

KenM,
Welcome out of the shadows. I think most here will be eager to hear about the different challenges a Brit faces on the road to FIRE caused by differences in health care, investment options avalable, tax rates and tax policies, etc. I think posting is like dating--the appearance of sensitivity (genuine or not) in presentation seems to help.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:48 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence

(Sigh), but they'll always have the spice girls...mmmm...baby spice....
So....... comfortably retired DH says to DW, "You remind me of one of the Spice Girls." "Which one?", asks DW. "Old Spice."

Watch for flying objects
Old 06-18-2006, 12:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM
I've thought about posting before ..... but aliens seem to be given a hard time here ...... or is it, perhaps, that for some strange reason only obnoxious aliens are attracted to this board?
Brits should be welcome here--after all, Blair & Bush-- Blair is the other half of the "axis of feeble"
Old 06-18-2006, 09:14 AM   #12

Not sure why some American posters think it is warranted to bash Canadians. Last time I looked, there were several Canadians on this board and only one could truly be classified as obnoxious (or fat headed - take your pick). I could name some American posters here who are/were truly obnoxious as well but I certainly wouldn't paint everyone with the same brush. Or should I?

As to why you don't see a large Brit and Canadian following here, it is because we have our own boards as well. Financial Webring Forum is perhaps the most popular and actve one for Canadians. There are many different nuances that apply to investors and retirees in Canada that don't have application in USA.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I also hear that some canadians have a sense of humor.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
Or are you all taken care of from 35 to the grave by your friendly government? Or perhaps the whole idea of a big retirement is a more North American concept?
No cradle to grave provisions in Canada, but there are safety nets to provide for a miminal existence.

From a broad perspective, there is not that much difference between US and Canada on retirement savings programs. Canadians have fewer options but the rules seem to be considerably simpler.*
1. Many Americans have company pension plans as do Canadians (defined benefit or defined contribution).* The trend is to decreasing levels of support by your friendly employer.
2. Americans have Social Security while Canadians have CPP (Canada Pension Plan - which by the way is self-funding during income earning years).*
3. Americans have Roths and IRA's and heaven knows what else with complicated rules, while Canadians have RRSPs (Registered Retirement Savings Plans) in which they can contribute 18% of earned income each year (subject to a ceiling).*
4. Canadians have additional safety nets called Old Age Security (OAS) which kicks in at 65 (available to everyone) and a means tested Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) which also kicks in at 65.* Very few Canadians qualify for GIS.* Combined OAS and GIS is meant to provide poverty line existence that no one would want to live at.* Thus incentives to save and build retirement nest eggs are alive and well.

The most significant difference is in health care.* Much of the discussion on this board is either directly or indirectly related to individual health care in terms of accessibility, affordability, forecastablity for budgeting, etc.* Basic health care in Canada is funded out of government general tax revenues and individuals can top certains aspects of that up with private plans, e.g. Blue Cross, that don't chew up a large part of a Canadian's budget.* Increasing health care costs are a major topic of discussion in Canada and how the 'system' will be able to continue to pay for it.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
.......I think most here will be eager to hear about the different challenges a Brit faces on the road to FIRE caused by differences in health care, investment options avalable, tax rates and tax policies, etc. I think posting is like dating--the appearance of sensitivity (genuine or not) in presentation seems to help.
Regrettably, I'm not very good at sensitivity ....... the "cute rabid rabbit" method of presentation is more my style* *

Also. perhaps, I'm not a true Brit anymore - lived and worked as an expat in SE Asia for over 30 years ..... and not a true ERee either - kept working to 58 .... but as AltaRed's post, having a govt funded National Health Service (notwithstanding all its faults) would be a significant factor for a Brit considering ER.

For Americans, I'm not sure you realise how fortunate you are that you have access to such a wide range of very low cost funds/ETFs ... funds in most other places in the world still have frontend loads and high management fees.

But something I've learned from joking around with American friends over the years and from reading US boards like this ....... Americans may joke about and/or criticize and/or insult their own politicians or President or way of life - but appear to become ultra sensitive if aliens make similar sorts of comments ..... Brits and other nationalities don't seem to be as sensitive ........ so I won't make any comments about President Bush - but feel free to say whatever you like about Prime Minister Blair*
Old 06-18-2006, 07:49 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Make no mistake Ken, the 'sensitivity' was pretty much limited to a couple of guys who were a-holes. That they were also canadians was just a coincidence.

Given i'm about half brit and my dad and his family are from canada, I dont think any of the joshing was particularly serious
Old 06-18-2006, 07:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny
I also hear that some canadians have a sense of humor.
Lies all Lies

Bruce
Old 06-18-2006, 08:43 PM   #18

C F Bun'ny ( dunno about half Brit - looks arabic to me)

... but that's not the point - canadians and brits don't mind americans joshing about canadian and brit politicians and way of life ...... but the other way round then #!**xx## from americans ....... just joshing
Old 06-18-2006, 08:47 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Oh, yeah? I've detected a distinct lack of sense of humor from some of my British friends concerning comments about the royal family.

"So the Queen walks into this bar, see, and . . ."
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
"So the Queen walks into this bar, see, and . . ."
[...]"...and with these prices, you won't see many more."
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote