Join Early Retirement Today

Inspirational walk tonight.....
Old 06-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Inspirational walk tonight.....

What started out as just any other daily walk with my golden retriever turned out to be much more tonight. We are within walking distance to the local community college and as we approached the track I saw a guy out of the corner of my eye. I admit it chapped me because I like to turn my dog loose to run but can't do it with other people around. As I got closer I saw that it was a black guy who was obviously an athlete due to his build. When I got to the field I noticed he had a major disability in that he was missing his right leg. He had one of those rod looking legs but the foot looked like a curved spring paddle. See below pic.

I watched him run 40 yard sprints timed by his girl friend. That guy could motor. As I walked around to his side of the track he had a big grin on his face as he saw my dog. My dog always brings the best out of people. I told him that was the most amazing thing I had ever seen in how fast he could run. I asked if he lost his leg in Iraq as he looked like a military man and he said he did but he still enjoyed competing. I just told him he is a true inspiration and shook his hand. He smiled and petted my dog and then went back to his sprints.

I bitch almost everyday about something at work but here is a guy who lost a leg in a controversial war and he still has a great attitude. God, it sure makes me re-think how I look at trivial things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg runners.jpg (17.3 KB, 334 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb runners.jpg_thumb (38.9 KB, 0 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Inspirational walk tonight.....
Old 06-26-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is a gift to have experienced an opportunity to reset one's reference point.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #3

Thanks for posting this. I can use a little kick start now and then as well.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:01 AM   #4

Experiences like this surely put a new perspective on life and sometimes make whatever you're going through seem trivial.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I just told him he is a true inspiration and shook his hand. He smiled and petted my dog and then went back to his sprints.
He's probably been a great guy all along, now it's just easier to judge the book by its cover. He must be tired of hearing how inspirational he is for getting rid of a body part.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
He's probably been a great guy all along, now it's just easier to judge the book by its cover. He must be tired of hearing how inspirational he is for getting rid of a body part.
That's how I see it too.

But I'm still impressed.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
He's probably been a great guy all along, now it's just easier to judge the book by its cover.* He must be tired of hearing how inspirational he is for getting rid of a body part.
Good Lord, who said anything about how inspiring it is that he got rid of a body part?? What is inspiring is how he didn't let it bring him down. He picked himself up and moved on.

But hey, maybe you are right. He maybe tired of getting a hand shake or a pat on the back. I certainly didn't get that impression. But if he has your outlook, you may be correct.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd say this is a good example of hedonic adaptation.

"That's just the nature of happiness; people adjust psychologically and cognitively to all kinds of events, from winning the lottery to the news that they have cancer. It's called hedonic adaptation."
Indexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This thing about hedonic adaption is interesting. I spent some time working in a spinal care ward, before realizing that medicine was not going to be for me. It seemed like there was avery big difference between various individuals in how well they came to terms with life shattering changes.

Also in how their SOs did or didn't adjust.* I guess they all adjusted, some just did it by moving on down the road.

Ha
Old 06-27-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indexter
I'd say this is a good example of hedonic adaptation.
This hedonic adaptation idea is bad news for prospective ERs. It is really saying, why bother, you will have the same degree of happiness or not- happiness no matter what.

Could someone be confused about this idea?

Ha
Old 06-27-2006, 12:19 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I fully agree with Nords (no, someone didn't steal my account).

Put yourself in his shoes (no pun intended), the alternatives are being bitter every day, or mad at someone. Lose a leg? It ain't coming back so you have to move on with life. You can either do it by pressing forward and being happy, or you can be something else. Its still a choice.

So, I think its ok to thank him for his service, or even feel like he's a source of inspiration, but that being said, he isn't doing anything any differently than I would do, and i'm just an ordinary joe.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
So, I think its ok to thank him for his service, or even feel like he's a source of inspiration, but that being said, he isn't doing anything any differently than I would do, and i'm just an ordinary joe.
Also one talking through his hat.

Ha
Old 06-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
I fully agree with Nords (no, someone didn't steal my account).* *

Put yourself in his shoes (no pun intended), the alternatives are being bitter every day, or mad at someone.* *Lose a leg?* It ain't coming back so you have to move on with life.* You can either do it by pressing forward and being happy, or you can be something else.* *Its still a choice.*

Oh well, it was inspiring to me. I enjoyed the interaction I had with the young man. Hopefully he wasn't offended by my hand shake. *
Old 06-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #14

I was inspired too; i'm just saying I think he's moving on in the way anyone with a positive attitude about life would do.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the expression, but I'm just calling it like i see it.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

Ha
Heheh, that's one way of putting it. Another way is that his eyes are brown.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #16

i think it is great to be able to take inspiration from this as dog51 did. but, more so, my feeling is that nords is spot on.

i saw a program a while back on amputees, i think it was at walter reed hospital. yes, the outlook of many of these kids was amazing. but i could not watch without being sad for them & angry at a world that would do this to them.

optimism is endemic to youth and tends to fade as reality & age inevitably advance upon us. while i was raised under the banner that "attitudes are more important than facts" and while i would never discourage their young & happy outlooks, i have seen too many older and homeless amputees to share much this athlete's joy at being able to hop around on a spring.

certainly better than a wheelchair. certainly hopeful of great possibilities.

i think one of the wonderful lessons in life is realizing that we choose how we experience it. you can be happy poor, sad rich. you can stumble on two legs or sprint on none. but i have trouble separating the pain from the accomplishment. and i'm always certain that life shouldn't be this hard.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:00 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I have mixed feelings about inspirational amuptee stories.* I wonder if it doesn't gloss over some of the tragedy of this war.* A kid who used to work for my husband recently had most of his lower face blown off, lost a limb, and has severe brain and nerve damage.* I do hope his story will turn out to be just as inspirational... but I won't begrudge him if his attitude isn't quite so cheery either.
FlowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:35 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

An experience like dog 51's conjures up a lot of feelings. I bet the guy felt great about the handshake and the genuine feelings toward him.
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:25 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for sharing this, Dogs. Personally I feel you did just the right thing by acknowledging this young man and and letting him know what an inspiration he is.

I just attended a welcome home ceremony for a soldier who was badly injured in Iraq. He lost one eye and all but 15% of the vision in his other eye. Our families have been friends since this young man (now 26) was born. This was the fourth time I've seen him since he returned to our area after suffering his injuries. From what he has told me he is more than appreciative for people who come up to him, acknowledge him and ask what happened and how he is doing. He can't stand when people are afraid to approach him and just stare. He is more than willing to share his story and finds it helpful in his overall recuperation.

I have to say it never crossed my mind to think of him as an inspiration because he lost a body part. I find him an inspiration because of the way he is handling the entire situation. He is returning to college, the wedding plans are still on for this winter. and he is still the same young man I've known for all this years. And mostly I love the fact that he is fiercely independent and has a great sense of humor. That is inspirational.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:21 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

You will never believe this but on tonights local news they featured the young man I ran into the other night. Small world. I found a link to the story on their website. Wish they had a picture of him running but didn't find it. See below.

http://www.wtok.com/home/headlines/3246846.html