Join Early Retirement Today

Vietnam Era Music Website
Old 08-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vietnam Era Music Website

Got this in email. I think it's a great site. Try it and lemme know what you think.

http://www.chu65nang67.us/nam/vietnam.html

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Vietnam Era Music Website
Old 08-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Got this in email.* I think it's a great site. Try it and lemme know what you think.
I could forward this to my buddy the F-4 RIO who's logged a few flight hours on YANKEE station. But before I do, here's a question:

Youngsters like me may listen and think "Cool!" because it reminds us of our third-grade recess or our high-school cafeteria.

But for gosh' sakes why would a been-there-done-that vet want to play the music that'll bring back those memories? You Vietnam alumni, what are your thoughts?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Green Fields", one of my favorite is there. Yahoo!
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The Viet Nam theme to the web site may or may not be a good idea. The songs on most of the playlists just are popular songs from the era. Handy. I like a lot of the songs.

I heard a NPR program about when people begin to be less interested in new music. For many, tastes begin to be fixed between the age of 14 and 21. By the time you are 35 most people just aren't interested in new music and the door closes.

HaHa excepted.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
The Viet Nam theme to the web site may or may not be a good idea.
Exactly. I enjoy sharing these types of things with with him, but I thought he was going to go off the rails when Duke Cunningham was indicted. I don't think he'll ever be able to go to the Wall again, and this from a guy who didn't exactly spend his time in the jungle. So I don't want to direct his attention to something that'll restart the flashbacks and get his family & other friends annoyed with me. Again.

Quote:
I heard a NPR program about when people begin to be less interested in new music.* For many, tastes begin to be fixed between the age of 14 and 21.* By the time you are 35* most people just aren't interested in new music and the door closes.*
I'll always be partial to classic rock, but I listen to even more Hawaiian music than our kid.* I can't handle most of the Jawaiian crap but there's plenty of good new artists.

Is it just me, or are more teenagers tuning in to Bob Marley?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Youngsters like me may listen and think "Cool!" because it reminds us of our third-grade recess or our high-school cafeteria.

But for gosh' sakes why would a been-there-done-that vet want to play the music that'll bring back those memories? You Vietnam alumni, what are your thoughts?
There are good memories and bad memories from that era. This music has more meaning to my life than probably other.

However I looked at the play lists and some of the stuff I cannot relate to from the 60's - The Country Stuff - Yuk! - Frank Sinatra - I started listening to him in the 90's. I could not listen to Frank when I was 19

So, my 60's music is Jimmy Hendrix stuff - Listen to the Forest Gump Movie Soundtrack. Or Apocalpse now Water sking to the Rolling Stones - Satisfaction! 8)
Old 08-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's too bad that most oldies radio stations cycle through only the most popular songs or the ones which have become classics. I remember listening to AM radio in the late '60s, early '70s and there was quite a bit of variety including good songs that just aren't on the playlists of oldies stations today. It wasn't highbrow stuff, but I'm sure I'm not the only person that might enjoy hearing an occassional novelty tune by Jerry Reed or Ray Stevens.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Well, the average American father and mother,
Owns one whole car, and half another.
And I bet that half-a-car's a trick to drive, don't you?
But the thing that amazes me , I guess,
Is the way we measure a man's success,
By the kind of automobile he can afford to drive..."

Jerry Reed

50s: Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Pat Boone... (just kidding...)

60s: Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Hendrix, Moody Blues, Steppenwolf, Jefferson Airplane, Led Zeppelin, CCR, Zappa...

70s: Allman Bros., Pink Floyd, Santana, Steely Dan, Eagles, Kansas, Rush, Climax Blues Band, REO, Yes, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Zappa...

80s: Cars, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Fixx, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Steve Winwood, Talking Heads, ZZ Top, Zappa...

90s: Pearl Jam, Third Eye Blind, Alice in Chains, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Live, Wallflowers...

00s: ??

RnR is 50+ years old. Why are classic rock playlists so short

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:20 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I heard a NPR program about when people begin to be less interested in new music. For many, tastes begin to be fixed between the age of 14 and 21. By the time you are 35 most people just aren't interested in new music and the door closes.
I would love to hear some new music. Problem is, I haven't heard anything that sounds new or original musically for some years now. (Since I was in my mid-30's, come to think of it...) Everything sounds like tired retreads of premasticated musical ideas, or worse, outright remakes.

Kids today, they have way too much respect for their elders. Are rebellion and innovation dead?
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Great link! Thanks to the OP.

Those looking for new music - check out Sigur Ros.
pjdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdaddy
Those looking for new music - check out Sigur Ros.
Finally started checking them out. Pretty good!
Some of their stuff is strongly reminiscent of This Mortal Coil.
Any connection to the 4AD folks?
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote