Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

High-carb, low-glycemic-index diet best for weight loss and CVD risk reduction
Old 09-01-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

High-carb, low-glycemic-index diet best for weight loss and CVD risk reduction

A study published last month indicated that high-carb / low-GI diets are best for both losing weight and reducing CVD risk.

Summary here.

Our findings suggest that dietary glycemic load [GL], and not just overall energy intake, influences weight loss and postprandial glycemia. We found that moderate reductions in glycemic load appear to increase the rate of body-fat loss, particularly in women. And diets based on the low-glycemic index maximize cardiovascular risk reduction—particularly if protein intake is high.

There have been many diets that suggest this approach, but there hasn't been a lot to confirm it scientifically.* *This basically kills the idea that a calorie is a calorie.

Edit: looks like the summary might ask for registration. Another version is here.

wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: High-carb, low-glycemic-index diet best for weight loss and CVD risk reduction
Old 09-01-2006, 06:55 PM   #2

Re: High-carb, low-glycemic-index diet best for weight loss and CVD risk reduction

For dinner I just had a grilled filet mignon and grilled asparagas and washed it down with some homemade red zinfandel.

I don't know how that fits into any diet, but I'm sure fat and happy tonight.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
*This basically kills the idea that a calorie is a calorie.
There's no money to be made in the obvious.*

Calories in > calories out = weight gain.
Calories in < calories out = weight loss.

Makes for a short diet book.*
Old 09-01-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: High-carb, low-glycemic-index diet best for weight loss and CVD risk reducti

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
For dinner I just had a grilled filet mignon and grilled asparagas and washed it down with some homemade red zinfandel.

I don't know how that fits into any diet, but I'm sure fat and happy tonight.
I just had a juicy back yard cheese burger and fries. mmmmmmm good. Time for a Red Stripe beer. Hope these are good calories.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #5

Quote:
There's no money to be made in the obvious.

Makes for a short diet book
Yes, but since that data is wrong nobody should read that book. What's the old saying about a solution that's easy, simple, and wrong?

As far as all these mentions of protein whether in the above mentioned "carbo" diet or in the more familiar South Beach/Atkins "low carb" mold ... it is almost impossibe to get any appreciatble amounts of animal proteinm (the only kinds that matters) and not go over what "They" , The Medical and established "Diet" Industries, consider acceptable amounts of evil fat

razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: High-carb, low-glycemic-index diet best for weight loss and CVD risk reducti
Old 09-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
There have been many diets that suggest this approach, but there hasn't been a lot to confirm it scientifically. This basically kills the idea that a calorie is a calorie.
Not.

The basic laws of thermodynamics are safe.

If it's valid, confirmed and vetted in future research, it's probably about the appetite effects of mild ketosis, insulin surges, etc. I favor watching your glycemic loads cause it may turn out to be a way to reduce diabetes risk. Dietary and weight reduction research is exceedingly difficult to perform and interpret.

I'd recommend great restraint in generalizing and over-stating the results of any one such study.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #7

Quote:
There's no money to be made in the obvious.*

Makes for a short diet book.
Correct.* *I know this is true because i have counted calories on and off for years now.* *An interesting thing happens... when the calories i eat is less than the amount i burn, i lose weight.* *And it dont matter what the calories are.* Ive gone from steaks and greasy food to cheerios galore.* * As long as i eat less calories than i burn.

I use fitday.com to count calories, btw.* *its pretty cool;* an online calorie counter.* that site is great because it allows you to enter in physical activity for the day and average activity levels so that your end calorie count is pretty accurate.* *With practice, i've gotten really accurate at estimating the amount of calories i eat when it wasnt quantified.

And what's my grand prize for all of this work? A BMI of 22 =p

Azanon
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #8

High glycemic index foods (yummy, yummy Gu and Power Bars) immediately before, during and after exercise. Low glycemic index foods the rest of the time.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Not.

The basic laws of thermodynamics are safe.

If it's valid, confirmed and vetted in future research, it's probably about the appetite effects of mild ketosis, insulin surges, etc. I favor watching your glycemic loads cause it may turn out to be a way to reduce diabetes risk. Dietary and weight reduction research is exceedingly difficult to perform and interpret.
I don't think this is about ketosis.* *These are *high* carb diets with low glycemic loads.* *And it doesn't have to violate thermodynamics.* *Isn't it possible that when you eat a meal with a high glycemic load that your body simply "overreacts" by storing more fat and making less energy available?

I really don't have a clue, but if I had to guess, my guess is that we underestimate the role of de novo lipogenesis.* * I'll even go way out on a limb and suggest that increased availability of high GI processed foods is the root cause of the obesity / metabolic syndrome / diabetes epidemic in this country.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:42 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

i lost 40lbs on a high carb low fat diet........its all about calories period...heres the secret to weight loss:
* EAT LESS -MOVE MORE"

there,thats everything you need to know about weight loss....
problem with most diets is just like you cant tell yourself to breath 1/2 a lung of air you cant just eat less food as your body is always hungry...the trick for me was low fat high carb...since as you cut fat which have almost 3x the calories per gram you can eat way more to feel full....as an example for 2,000 calories a day you can eat almost 20 baked potatoes...not that you would but it shows the volume of low fat food you can consume....instead of the potatoes you have other calorie/fat type foods and balance it out......
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:46 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

being a weight lifter and cyclist as well as run every other day my wife and i also realized exercise by itself with out cutting calories merely helps us maintain our weight but certainly not loose weight....we just eat more.i mean way more ha ha ha ..on the days i run 3 -4 miles i dont even get full i just get tired lifting a fork to eat...... its once again all about calories to loose weight not the food type not exercise by itself
Old 09-02-2006, 03:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
its all about calories period...heres the secret to weight loss:
* EAT LESS -MOVE MORE"
Er, yes, that works.* * But I have to ask: did you bother to read the article?* *It's not all about calories.

The study found that for diets with the *same* number of calories, a high-carb, low glycemic index diet reduced body fat and improved lipid profile vs the other 3 diets tested.

Your body responds differently to different macronutrients.* *You have different metabolic pathways for alcohol, carbs, fat, and protein, and your body prefers certain pathways to others (for example, we have no way to store alcohol, so it is always burned first).

It has long been suspected that high glycemic loads do nasty things to you.* *They cause insulin spikes.* *And your liver and intestines seem get out of whack in the long term.* *You start storing more fat than you should.* * Your blood triglycerides go up.* *Your HDL goes down.* *And you make those nasty small-particle LDLs that lead to arterial plaque formation.

Anyway, the medical community has been reluctant to recommend low GI diets, but this study triggered an editorial that urged docs to consider the data on low GI/GL diets.* * I think this will eventually change mainstream dietary recommendations.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:37 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

i agree with this article* ...l im not convinced most of these other theories ever pan out that we read about ,as either true or working for the bulk of us.......we had the low carb high fat theory,,,,the dont mix certain food groups together at the same time theory, the zig zag theory where you eat* very low carb for 6 days a week and high carb 1 day a week.....all have some study and lots of scientific gibirish but very few work or work long term......i do agree with avoiding the high glycemic carbs part though...in fact high carb low glycimic carbs are exactly the diet i was refering to that worked for me.....genetically i run very hi triglyceride levels..i can break 1,000 if im not careful diet wise or dont exercise enough.....watching the glycemic carbs definatly works from a cardio standoint...from a weight loss stand point im not so sure in practice it really matters
Old 09-02-2006, 09:05 AM   #14

One thing not discussed in this thread that is important is whether the diet is something that you can stay on. I have found that, for me, a low carb (Atkins) diet allows me to control my weight without feeling hungry most of the time as I have felt on all other diets I have tried. I assume I am getting the same number of calories on the low-carb diet as on the others but I can stick with this one more easily because I don't get the cravings for carbs and feel hungry as much. The key to successful weight loss and maintaining that loss is a diet that you can comply with in the long run.

Grumpy
Old 09-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

i wasnt hungry on the atkins diet at all...problem we had was my wife and i both bonked and came to a halt within 5 minutes of each other doing our cardio routine from lack of carbs.......the atkins diet actually mimics diabetes and makes the body go into ketosis ...the body thinks its sick and takes your appetite away to fight the illness it thinks you have.....aitkins wasnt for me........
Old 09-02-2006, 11:11 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

weight watchers wasnt for me either...i had to eat 2 or 3 of those little dinners ha ha ha........
Old 09-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
i wasnt hungry on the atkins diet at all...problem we had was my wife and i both bonked* and came to a halt within 5 minutes of each other doing our cardio routine from lack of carbs
But I bet your TG levels went way down. Have you tried a high carb, low GI diet? Seems tailor-made for your situation.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

yep,,it works the best for me
Old 09-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
There's no money to be made in the obvious.

Makes for a short diet book.
this is the theory that made americans big fat morbidly obese slobs. It ranks right next to the idea that eating fat makes you fat. The idea is simple, intuitive and DEAD WRONG. The problem with calorie theory is that food 'talks' to our body in very different ways. Eating 100 calories of broccoli has a totally different effect on your body than eating 100 calories of white sugar.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

brocalli is a bad choice as it has next to no calories.....anything with calories is a calorie just by definition of what a calorie value is.........we know vegatarians who cant loose weight and its because they eat nuts and sesamee and all kinds of higher calorie vegtables...yeah you can make an argument sugar is metabolized differently than protein or low glycemic carbs but at the end of the day any calories left over and not burned are stored...there are so few long term success stories over all from people who were on atkins for long long periods of time,in fact everyone i knew who was on it has given up on it at this point.... and fat calories take 3x the energy to break them down..you can only eat 1/3 the volume of fat ladden foods that you can for carbs or protein...that makes a big difference long term in weight loss and whether you will stick to the plan..being hungry is a pain to the body and in order for any eating plan to work your body has to be full or all bets are off