Join Early Retirement Today

Where to sell a timeshare?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Where to sell a timeshare?

So my sister and her husband bought a timeshare (yes, one of those that did so after a presentation - I warned them...) about 2 years ago. They've used it, but apparently don't like the little fees here and there, esp. to "exchange" for another location.

So...anyone have a website/broker that they've used to sell timeshares that they've had a good experience with?
LRAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Where to sell a timeshare?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

LRAO,

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have a request. Please post and keep us informed on how this goes. There have been some interesting threads on this forum regarding time shares with many opinions, both pro and con. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well get ready to take a big loss. As I recall timeshares only fetch only 10-50 percent of the original investment on resale.

here's some links to resale sites:

www.timeshareresalesww.com

www.timesharelink.com/timeshare-resales.asp

www.myresortnetwork.com
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

First, do not use a broker. They typically charge an upfront fee on the order of $600-700, which you will never see again.

If they purchased the timeshare from a developer, they can expect to sell it for ~25% of their purchase price. For example, I own two weeks Florida oceanfront (2BR units) at a resort currently in developer sales with an asking price of $24,000 per week. I paid $4,000 for my first, and $2,700 for my second. A broker will be happy to tell you that they have clients waiting in the wings that will pay upwards of 75% of the purchase price. They lie. They will take your $600-700 upfront fee, and the deal will never happen.

If your friends have to bail out quickly, ebay is the best way to go. Place the ad such that the timing of the auction brackets 2 weekends, start the bidding at $1 with no reserve, and expect to get fair market value (~25% of developer pricing).

Redweek.com is another good option for selling. You can look at the ads on Redweek, and at the completed auctions on ebay to detrmine market value.

Do not waste your time looking at the asking prices on the plethora of resale sites on the internet. The asking prices are generally totally unrealistic, and will never sell.

If they can't bear the $$ loss on a recent purchase and want to learn to get the most out of their ownership, see tug.com (timeshare users group). Lots of good info there.
pjdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm assuming this is a US. time share?