Join Early Retirement Today

Emergency Evacuation Insurance
Old 10-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Emergency Evacuation Insurance

Has anyone who travels abroad frequently or at length purchased or considered this type of policy?

In my past life I wouldn't have thought about it, but with my current condition there is a minimal, but greater than zero, chance I could wake up on any given morning and be paralized.

So if I am in some remote location, is it worth a $350 policy for the peace of mind that I could get myself airlifted out? A five minute internet search turned up this cost as a fairly all-inclusive policy without pre-existing condition limits.

(Just as an aside, wouldn't most purchasers of this have a reason to want or need it and thus HAVE a preexisting condition? Otherwise what would be the point)

Thanks for any advice you might have.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Emergency Evacuation Insurance
Old 10-11-2006, 11:40 AM   #2

I've purchased evac insurance for my international backcountry trips. I can't afford $30000 for a helicopter lift and, in some cases, a helicopter is the only way out in an emergency. I've used SRI before,

http://www.specialtyrisk.com/

I think it's well worth it if you're truly in an international "wilderness" setting (usually defined as an hour or more from advanced medical care) and there's any chance of needing it.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Has anyone used this or any other travel medical insurance?

I just started medicare (with a United Healthcare retiree pseudo-medigap policy) which I've read won't work overseas. I suspect I may need this kind of coverage during overseas travels.

Thanks in advance...pp

Old 10-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
I've purchased evac insurance for my international backcountry trips. I can't afford $30000 for a helicopter lift and, in some cases, a helicopter is the only way out in an emergency. I've used SRI before,

http://www.specialtyrisk.com/
Thanks for the link. I will investigate them further. My concern is this:

Quote:
Up to $15,000 in eligible medical expenses will be waived for pre-existing conditions. This feature is available to US citizens traveling outside the United States and Canada.
I need to find out more about the definition of "pre-existing condition."
Old 10-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #5

Just spoke to their very helpful and knowlegeable representative on the phone. The pre-exist. situation applies to medical insurance, but not to the evacuation - which is what I'm looking for. I'm going to read the fine print carefully, but the evac. insurance seems very reasonable - a full year coverage, up to $100,000 for $173.

I just love the resources on this board!

Thanks again eridanus.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

it might be cheaper to join DAN.
It's commonly done by boaters,
see basic benefits here:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/me...avelassist.asp

and you can buy more insurance from them if needed.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #7

Great advice Sailor, thanks. I had always assumed DAN only covered you for diving-related accidents.

Now I'm going to shut up and go back to w*rk. My partners might be monitoring my daily post count.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I used Multinational Underwriters while I was in Cambodia for just over a month earlier this year working for a nonprofit. The policy cost around $80, but because I never made a claim, I can't comment on how good they really are. It was very easy to get a quote and the policy online. Here's the link
http://www.mnui.com/

I understand that insurance is designed to make money for insurance company. However, for this type of insurance, if they live up to their marketing, you're also buying expertise and experience in terms of how to procure the resources you need in the case of an emergency. The idea of having access to these services was worth as much as the insurance for me.

I'd be very interested in hearing from someone who actually used the coverage and services of these companies to see if they come close to living up to their marketing.

Jim
magellan_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
insurance seems very reasonable - a full year coverage, up to $100,000 for $173.
Seems reasonable compared with MEDEX Safetrip - similar evacuation coverage with which I am marginally familiar. My employer provides a 24 hour assistance product from them for employee travel (work or liesure). I've never had to use it but did purchase a short term TravelMed policy from them for my daughter once in a moment of pre-trip anxiety. Very easy to get a quote and pruchase online. Didn't need to use that either but I guess it bought me some peace of mind.

Safetrip (evacuation) prices from MEDEX website are: Daily $3.50 for short trips. Annual frequent traveler $225 (max 90 days per trip). Annual expatriate $350 (travel greater than 90 consecutive days or 180 total days in twelve month period).

Just another data point for what it's worth.
rockyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not sure if I read you post correctly.. .but I do not remember you doing the wilderness stuff...

Look at your credit card... you would be surprised how much they offer that we never use... I remember seeing on one where they would pay to get you or your body if you died back home..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:24 PM   #11

When I did my round the world trip, I used Worldmed travel insurance:

http://www.travelinsure.com/what/wmedhigh.htm

They cost a more than some of the options mentioned here in this thread but they cover you for more things.

Especially in poorer countries, evac insurance is a must because no matter how much money you have in your bank account back home, emergency responders are only sure they will get paid if they see your travel insurance documents and know you are covered. If they need to fly planes or whatever to get you out, they need to know for sure you will reimburse them and the insurance is the only way to quickly and effectively give that reassurance.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #12

Hmm. Worldmed is also fairly reasonable if you go for the $2,500 deductible. That wouldn't be a problem, it's the $100,000 helicopters and such that I worry about.

Thanks again to all of you for the good suggestions.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

What free4now said.

I bought this when we went to Africa so as to ensure the RIGHT care. Yes, I might have been treated in Tanzania if I'd broken a leg on Kili, but after I'd read about "recycled" needles and other medical supplies, I decided it was worth the peace of mind to guarantee transportation to Nairobi or even Capetown if need be.

Sometimes it's not just where you're evacuating FROM, but where you want to get TO that counts.

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote