35 y/o, targeting RE at 46

So say we need $70k a year to cover our all of our expenses (including paying for healthcare), we pull that from the brokerage, and let's say half of that is gains ($35k). If I said our income was $100k a year, we could do a Roth conversion for $92.7k ($100k income - $35k in LTCG + $27.7k standard deduction), and still get that $5,400/yr. subsidy, right?
Am I on the right path here, or am I completely off-base? I'm sure there's a calculator out there to run through these scenarios, it's just far enough away for me that I haven't bothered looking for it yet.
Roth Conversion and Capital Gains On ACA Health Insurance describes a very good way to look at what you describe.

Roth Conversion and Capital Gains On ACA Health Insurance describes a very good way to look at what you describe.
Thank you for the link!

Sorry, the MAGI used for calculating the premium credit is before the standard deduction. If your income is $100K/yr you could only do $65K Roth conversion with $35K in capital gains.
Ah ok. That's a bummer, since that's a pretty significant dip in the amount that can be converted annually (although by the time I'm in a position to start doing this in 10+ years, the amount of the deduction will have certainly changed).

Back
Top Bottom