Buying a New Car

I waited "years" to buy the Tesla Model S for them to make a significant new body shape. Since I finally gave up and just bought one, I've guaranteed they will do it soon...

This blows my mind:

• In the non-luxury market, pickup trucks fueled the price increase. In April, full-size pickups averaged $66,631, up 2.8% from the same time last year. Unlike the overall market, pickup prices are also higher compared to 2023.
$66K+ is the average price for a pickup truck! Who buys these things? Rhinestone Cowboys and dilettante trade workers?

I just returned from a short road trip where I rented a Hyundai Elantra. Gas mileage was in the 30’s in the cities and in the 40’s to low 50’s on the open road. It was not a hybrid. I remember my old Toyota that once hit 36 mpg on a perfectly flat road driving about 55 mph max in overdrive gear. I am amazed.

^^^^^
Sure beats the 12 to 13mpg I'm getting out of my truck on the highway. :)

I’ve read most millionaires drive pickup trucks. Most drive them for decades until they have at least 250K miles on them.

Low 20’s mpg on the highway. Didn’t come with any rhinestones. I did buy it in 2021 before the prices went crazy but it’s a Denali so it was a bit more than my Silverado that I traded in.
IMG_1901.jpeg

And that's with premium fuel to add to the fuel costs.
That's true too! But I knew that when I bought it. :) But hey it's got a 33 gallon tank, so I can still get ~400 miles between fill ups. I'm actually lucky since most of my driving is on the highways. Folks that have trucks like mine that drive primarily in city traffic are reporting they are only getting 9 to 10 mpg, sometimes even less.

They probably buy oil and gas stocks too. :)

Last edited:
A good warranty is a great selling point especially with today’s high cost of repairs in many areas.
Hyundai and Kia have longer "bumper-to-bumper" warranties than most other car makers... something to consider. I think they did it because when they entered the US there was skeptism about a Korean car maker and the longer warranty helped mitigate that concern. We've had a Hyundai Sonata and a Kia Forte over the years and they e both been good cars.

I’ve read most millionaires drive pickup trucks. Most drive them for decades until they have at least 250K miles on them.
The Newport Beach CA wealthy haven't gotten the word, spent a week there with my pickup truck and felt like I was the only one on the road in a pickup except for a few work trucks. They do like their Tesla's out there, seemed like 25% of the vehicles on the road were Tesla's.

I paid cash for a 1 year-old Toyota that's now 21 years old. Repairs are finally starting to get serious. Watching this thread. I have no idea how to buy a new car without getting fleeced.
Best trick I ever learned was to walk out of the show room when they don't meet your price. If they don't tackle you by the time you reach the door, they've probably given you their lowest price and you should look elsewhere. Alternately, they'll call you and likely meet your (reasonable) price.

When they say "I'll have to check with the sales manager," get up and say "Call me if he meets my price" as you walk toward the front door.

Best trick I ever learned was to walk out of the show room when they don't meet your price. If they don't tackle you by the time you reach the door, they've probably given you their lowest price and you should look elsewhere. Alternately, they'll call you and likely meet your (reasonable) price.

When they say "I'll have to check with the sales manager," get up and say "Call me if he meets my price" as you walk toward the front door.
In the current world of MSRP + pricing for desirable models, that approach will only result in trips to many different dealers!

In the current world of MSRP + pricing for desirable models, that approach will only result in trips to many different dealers!
Well, you do have to be practical and do your research on what cars sell for in your area. You can't "low ball" the dealer on a hot car model and expect any response. Also, visiting several dealers IS a way to end up with a lower price if you're willing to do the slog.

Back
Top Bottom