CHIP Insurance for Kids

MichealKnight

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi.....

I'm still looking into the specifics but it appears my income must've come in a lit bit low in the previous tax year. Yes I wanted it to appear low obviously to cut the tax bill and get healthy ACA credits - both of which have happened satisfactorily for 3 years now.

So I get mail from PA health Human services that I've applied for benefits and got them and I need to send in all this income verification stuff. I called my states' ACA exchange and asked if I have no choice but to go on CHIP and she said that I can forgo CHIP - I can keep kids on my ACA plan --but the kiddie portion of the tax credit goes away.

My PPO - is fine. We're not a healthy family and thus far - good doctors, hospitals, prescriptions, etc are fine. My guess is my monthly cost will go up by $$600 a month if I forgo CHIP, stay on PPO and hopefully this year my income is just right enough to get back to normal ACA credits.

I've heard that medicaid, sometimes - is seen as a lesser priority by hospitals and doctors and I want no part of that. $6k a year hurts BUT oh well, I'll save it elsewhere if it means my kids getting proper care.

Cursory Google shows CHIP is not medicaid.

My question: Have you or anyone you know used CHIP Insurance....and did you or they feel they were getting quality care or did you feel you were getting a lower tier of care.

Thanks for reading.

CHIP is a federal health mandate that is implemented by each state, so an experience in one state may not be applicable to another. It looks like Pennsylvania CHIP is contracted to insurance companies, so you should look at individual insurance CHIP policies to compare the size and reach of their networks, and any differences in coverage.

Thanks, yes looking at the companies CHIP is hooked up with. What I'm wondering - is that even if contracted to insurance companies, do providers know that said policy is CHIP-based and does that mean lower level of care.

Thanks, yes looking at the companies CHIP is hooked up with. What I'm wondering - is that even if contracted to insurance companies, do providers know that said policy is CHIP-based and does that mean lower level of care.
Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) run them, it is not insurance.

In my area these are the CHIP MCOs:

Affinity Health Plan, Inc.
Empire HealthChoice HMO, Inc.
Health Insurance Plan
HealthPlus, LLC
OHP PHSP, Inc.
UnitedHealthcare, Inc.

Look over the Provider networks for the MCOs in your area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom