Electric Vehicles - Models Discussion

I think we might finally try out a EV this year since Washington state is starting a program in August for low income EV leases. Essentially you will be able to lease a EV for three years for $0 down and under $100 a month (as low as $60 a month for some models).

While we wait on this program to start, are there any particular models we should research? We live in the hotter/colder part of the state now, would still keep our ICE Ford F150 4x4 for winter snow, long mountain trips in the remote areas, and towing, but the EV would be nice to keep the wear and miles off the truck and offset the $4.40 a gallon gas we have in this state.

Is there a manufacturer to stay away from? I have always liked Toyota, and they have a bZ4x now I think...

^^ My bias is clear, so I will only say you should read many reviews on any model you’re interested in. Your experience with legacy auto does not correlate to their EV offerings - some are good/OK, some are not at all. We’ve owned 3 Toyotas (2 hybrids) and they were very good cars, but Toyota badmouthed EVs and touted fuel cell cars longer than any other legacy auto - and they are way behind on EVs so far. Most legacy automakers have a long way to go before their EVs are compelling to knowledgeable buyers. https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/bz4x

Last edited:
Thanks Midpack. Would this be a consideration?

"
Are funds stackable with other incentives?
Yes! A consumer can combine the rebate for this program with both the federal tax credit, state sales tax exemption, and other automaker rebates offered through the dealers if available."

So if I can find a model that qualifies for the federal tax credit as well, we are talking $7500 + $9000?

Took delivery of a Model S last week. It doesn't get any Federal or state rebates. So far it's an amazing car. The autopilot system works well, and if I had daily commute in bad traffic I'd pay the $99/month. Still might use it on long trips but the cars "free" lane control autopilot is good enough for me.
Tesla Model S Day 1.jpeg

Took delivery of a Model S last week. It doesn't get any Federal or state rebates. So far it's an amazing car. The autopilot system works well, and if I had daily commute in bad traffic I'd pay the $99/month. Still might use it on long trips but the cars "free" lane control autopilot is good enough for me.

The lane control used to falsely accuse me of not having my hand on the wheel but when I asserted more control it kicked me out. Now like magic it just works.

Fermion, the Toyota BZ4X is generally not considered to be very good, I think Tesla is the clear choice. Some people like the MachE and eventually there will be more GM EVs but I would avoid any early models.

We’re still enjoying the full driving experience. Works amazingly well if not perfectly. It is importantly to actually have a route entered which we sometimes forget - it doesn’t read minds yet as we were reminded yesterday.* :facepalm: :2funny:

RetMD21 yes for me the wheel nags even with hands on wheel are blissfully gone.

*Returning home from an errand I turned FSD on once I got in a left turn lane and the car obligingly turned left as soon as the green arrow appeared but then it stayed in the middle lane instead of going to the rightmost turn lane at the next light. We were dumbfounded until we realized we hadn’t set navigation to home. :facepalm:

Last edited:
We’re still enjoying the full driving experience. Works amazingly well if not perfectly. It is importantly to actually have a route entered which we sometimes forget - it doesn’t read minds yet as we were reminded yesterday.* :facepalm: :2funny:

RetMD21 yes for me the wheel nags even with hands on wheel are blissfully gone.

*Returning home from an errand I turned FSD on once I got in a left turn lane and the car obligingly turn left as soon as the green arrow appeared but then it stayed in the middle lane instead of going to the rightmost turn lane at the next light. We were dumbfounded until we realized we hadn’t set navigation to home. :facepalm:
I've forgotten to enter a supercharger destination I intended to use a couple times, so battery preconditioning didn't start, and initial charging was slower when I got to the supercharger. Of course the car "suggested" I do better next time (faster charging)... :facepalm:

I also once forgot to enter a destination (home) on a short drive in town and wondered why FSD wasn't making a turn where I expected. Only once so far... :facepalm: :facepalm:

I think we might finally try out a EV this year since Washington state is starting a program in August for low income EV leases. Essentially you will be able to lease a EV for three years for $0 down and under $100 a month (as low as $60 a month for some models).
<snip>
Be careful. Washington state is headed to an electric power shortage within about 5 years. Lack of replacement generating ability and lack of adequate transmission lines seems to be in the work.

This year for the first time, I was advised by the utility company to reduce the temperature on my home during the coldest part of the Winter to prevent overloading the electrical network. In my 40+ years in the state this is the first time I have received such a warning.

I've forgotten to enter a supercharger destination I intended to use a couple times, so battery preconditioning didn't start, and initial charging was slower when I got to the supercharger. Of course the car "suggested" I do better next time (faster charging)... :facepalm:

I also once forgot to enter a destination (home) on a short drive in town and wondered why FSD wasn't making a turn where I expected. Only once so far... :facepalm: :facepalm:
This is a serious flaw. Demand that a Neuralink chip be placed in your brain immediately.

Do we really want that? 🤔
What I really want is in a recurring dream I have every few years. I find that I still own my 1970 VW Beetle. It's been hiding underneath the garage floor (Hey, it's a dream!) and runs great.

Rivian sales seem to have taken off in my area. Lots of truck and that cool looking SUV vehicle. This is not a dream.

Do we really want that? 🤔
I think I just need the car to know my current destination, ha ha.

It has my calendar and automatically calculates the route for appointments when I get in the car, that’s nice. There is a home button or you can say “go home” but this last time I forget to do even that.

While we wait on this program to start, are there any particular models we should research? We live in the hotter/colder part of the state now, would still keep our ICE Ford F150 4x4 for winter snow, long mountain trips in the remote areas, and towing, but the EV would be nice to keep the wear and miles off the truck and offset the $4.40 a gallon gas we have in this state.

Is there a manufacturer to stay away from? I have always liked Toyota, and they have a bZ4x now I think...
Wow that’s an exceedingly generous program.

Finally got FSD 12.3.6. Big improvement over 11.4.

Excited that 12.4 will start being released next week. Elon said that it is 5x to 10x more miles between interventions.

The speed of improvement is accelerating. I will subscribe just to be able to watch.

Back
Top Bottom