How To Find Low Cost Lab For Annual Blood Work?

I thought I'd post an after-visit summary of my first experience using LabCorp for my annual blood work. The good news is that is was very easy to schedule the appointment and get my blood drawn. The local "office" is located in one of our Walgreens locations. There wasn't any way to actually print the lab orders from the portal that my PCP's office uses, but the LabCorp technician accepted a screen print of the orders and seemed to know how to turn those into the results I needed. I had my results back in about day and a half, which was certainly quick enough for me as my appointment with my PCP was for the following week.

Now for the now so great news. While LabCorp sent the results to my PCP's office, she had not seem them by the time of my appointment. However, I was able to pull them up on my phone, so we could still review them together. Later on, I got a notice that there were new lab results in my PCP's portal. However, when I logged in, I discovered that they show up like a scanned PDF and do not "graph" in my history. This is a pretty big loss that I will have to think about how to work around. I may have to download all of my history and create my own spreadsheets.

Now for the costs. Initially the technician ran my credit card for $48 which was great news to me. However, I recently received the actual bill after LabCorp submitted it to my insurance and I owe them $328. Here is the breakdown:

CBC Diff - $33
Comp Metabolic Panel - $48
Lipid Panel - $103
TSH - $99
PSA - $112
Venipuncture - $26
Adjustments - ($93)

Since this cost is roughly half of what I paid for my blood work the previous two years, I imagine that I will use LabCorp again. But I'd still like to know why my price for these basic tests is so high.

That is high. Going through Life Extension (which also uses LabCorp), the CBC/CMP/lipid panel combo is $35, TSH is $31, PSA is $31, with no charge for venipuncture. Plus they have a lab test sale for 25% off. It would be a few $ cheaper through Ulta (using Quest Labs).

Yeah, that does seem high. I've never had to pay more than the amounts paid through the RequestaTest site when I used LabCorp and have never had "venipuncture" charged separately.

Back
Top Bottom