Best MYGA (Multi Year Guaranteed Annuities) Thread 2024 - Please post updates here.

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
When choosing a 5, 4 or 3 year MYGA, should one really be concerned whether they are rated A, A+ or A++? Is there a meaningful difference for these contract periods?

The difference in credit risk between A++, A+ or A over 5 years is probably negligible. Besides, if the company goes sideways and you're quick enough you can always withdraw everything and pay the surrender charge and limit the bleeding.

There are some pretty good rates with A++ Companies at the moment. Mass Mutual being one. They allow penalty free withdrawals of 10% Per year and honor RMD withdrawals. Withdrawals can also be set up to pay periodically (Monthly Maybe). Seems like a good deal to me. If one has ~$1m in Laddered MYGAs it could provide a reasonable income.

Recently did 3,4,and 5 year MYGA ladder with all of the companies being
A- and above. The rates were comparable with the B rated companies
so the choice was easy.

The difference in credit risk between A++, A+ or A over 5 years is probably negligible. Besides, if the company goes sideways and you're quick enough you can always withdraw everything and pay the surrender charge and limit the bleeding.
I agree that the difference is negligible but I think being insurance companies the issuers move at a glacial pace compared to brokers. I would not count on them being very responsive. I only have experience with A rated Americo but it seems like they move at their own pace and follow up calls are routine. I still like MYGAs and I would be OK with a B+ rating.

Mass Mutual has a great 5 Year MYGA available at the moment. They are A++ rated.

Voyager Plus - 5.55% Annual Rate​

• 5 Years Surrender Fee Period (Duration).
  • Tax-Deferred, Compound Interest
  • No Stock Market Exposure
  • Penalty Free Withdrawals Available
  • No Loads, Fees, or Sales Charges

I never realized how much MYGA rates vary based on state of residence. On Blueprint Income a 5yr rate of 6.3% is available in Nevada but next door in CA the max is 5.5.

Also see this thread, some good posts there:

Back
Top Bottom