what office software product do you use?

However, if I didn't need the storage and I didn't care much about the software updates I would look for a standalone copy of MS Office from 2021. They are heavily discounted. A good friend of mine that is a software engineer recently told me he bought a copy of this for $29. Just be sure the seller is legit.

Something like this:

MS Office 2010 non-subscription. I don't care about additional/new features since my income no longer depends on bigger, better software. I've been very satisfied.

Interesting. I still have an old (non-subscription) copy that I was able to move to a new laptop when I got one. Do you know if this "one machine" license is good for one machine at a time, or only on that one machine it was first installed on?
I don’t know for sure but it downloaded the software that I had to install (if I remember correctly) and rec;d the code to activate. Feels like I could move to a new computer down the road.

We mainly use Office 2010, but I have started using Libre Office and like it.

Not free but I buy the MS Office version that is loaded onto one computer (no subscription). It's usually around $150 but can be found cheaper on sale at times.
That's what we did too, MS Office Home and Student I think it's called. It only has Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, which is more than we need since being retired we have no need of PowerPoint. I'm debating whether to even use Outlook since DW is comfortable now with Thunderbird. It works, so why change?

I'm debating whether to even use Outlook since DW is comfortable now with Thunderbird. It works, so why change?
I used Outlook at work. At home, I used Outlook Express for many years, but about 10 years ago, I ported everything into Thunderbird and haven't looked back, now using it with my Gmail account.

MS Office 365 and I pay for the annual renewal. I use Excel almost daily. I also have open office (free) but rarely use it. Why? Heck if I know!

I have office 2013 professional right now and another new version that I cannot recall in the closet unopened. I will put the new verson on my next desktop whatever it is.

I tried one of the free ones and it garbaged up my spreadsheet I use as a database for info. I can't remember which one it was I'm afraid.

When I was working, my work paid for the latest Microsoft Office and I could install a copy of it at home to use on work stuff at home if needed. When I retired, I just didn't feel right about continuing to use that copy of MS Office at home since it was supposed to be only for work. So, I deleted it from my hard drive and downloaded Open Office.

I have used Open Office ever since, and it's been perfect for me. The download is free. I use its spreadsheet every day.

If you need to share with office user, then it is worth the cost to get a licensed copy. Also, if you do advanced macro work (recursion) macros it is worth keeping office. Otherwise, any of the free options ate good.

I’m migrating from Google Sheets to Apple’s Numbers.

Mostly because I’m trying to get away from Google and I’m already in Apple’s ecosystem. I use an iPad a lot and Numbers works much better there than Google Sheets (same for iPhone).

If I wasn’t tied to Apple, I’d likely try Open Office.

I have been using MS Office 2010 all these years and like it. I like its photo editing software built into the program. Does Open Office also have this kind of software, too?

And the program is good on the one device forever after this one-time payment?

Mike
Yes.

Sorry I was late in responding. Didn’t see the post.

I thought most people who had used OpenOffice would have moved to LibreOffice or something different years ago. OpenOffice has very little development and no new major releases in 10 years. At work, we moved to LibreOffice years ago for users that didn't need MS Office.

After years of office I migrated to apple numbers and pages. I keep important files in the cloud and I really like I can access them instantly with my phone, tablet or computer and any changes on any device is always good for all.

I use Office 2000, or some very old version. I have a CD that I install on each new machine, and it keeps working. If I download a document, I'll use Google or Libre, but for my own docs, the old stuff works, and I don't/didn't need to learn anything new each time they needlessly rearranged the UI.

LibreOffice is good enough. Excel is excellent but not needed for my simple sheets. I would have to fire up a VM to run Windows in Linux and it isn't worth the hassle.

I use FreeOffice on my Macbook. Available for Linux and Windows too.

Back
Top Bottom