Cheese!!!

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Contribute your favorite cheeses and new discoveries here.

We just opened the small wheel of P’tit Basque we bought a couple of weeks ago at Costco. It’s 100% sheep’s milk cheese from the Pyrenees. Aged 70 days, so somewhat young, semi-firm texture.

I give it two thumbs up!

https://www.reluctantgourmet.com/petit-basque-sheeps-milk-cheese/

I love Petit Basque and could eat a half wheel in one sitting. Another Basque cheese we really enjoy, perhaps a bit nuttier, is Ossau Iraty. Pricey, most commonly found at at WFM and special cheese shops.

My 2 Fav's;

Truffle Brie - rich & decadent, use with moderation - :)

Blue Stilton - Best of the blues! Has all the blue flavor along with rich creaminess - :)

According to Consumer Reports cheese is back. It is not a problem in regards to things like CVD. And like people who eat nuts, people who eat cheese tend to lose weight. :dance:

Please continue posting your favorite cheeses. :)

Our main favorite cheeses are:

Midnight Moon by Cypress Grove, a Northern California goat cheese company, but that particular cheese has been manufactured in Holland since its inception. This is an aged goat cheese with an amazing nutty flavor and nice smooth texture. Our long time favorite.

Grand Noir cheese by Kaserei Champignon which is the Bavarian company that makes cambozola. It’s a very rich creamy blue cheese that is almost like Brie. Blows their other cheeses away IMO.

These days Costco often carries both cheeses around the holidays.

Last edited:
I'm a stilton fan too, and applewood smoked cheddar. There are a whole bunch of English cheeses we were introduced to.

Brillat Savarin for me! You know your dealing with amateurs when you ask for it in a cheese shop and they say " I don’t know that kind of brie". It's pronounced "bree-ah" but its not a brie, its a guys name. The most creamy cheese you'll ever have...on a warm baguette!

DS had goats and my favorite cheese soon became my goat cheese ... that is the goat cheese I made. Slightly tart and a little sweet. Not at all crumbly like in the stores.

I am a fan of Red Hawk from Cowgirl Creamery. Whole Foods is getting a lot more of my grocery money since they started carrying it.

My sister-in-law, who is from France, told us about the Kirkland Comté that they import seasonally. She swears it's a like taste of home for her, so we tried it and really like it as well.

Brillat Savarin for me! You know your dealing with amateurs when you ask for it in a cheese shop and they say " I don’t know that kind of brie". It's pronounced "bree-ah" but its not a brie, its a guys name. The most creamy cheese you'll ever have...on a warm baguette!

I love French blooming rind cheeses. Don’t find them often.

Oh I like cheese, but... it likes me too much, it seems. I have to be real sparing with it. It (Caution! TMI Ahead!) plugs me up.

But I do like hearing about it! Cheese, that is.

I love Cambozola, it's like a blue cheese brie! I do also love Stilton, too. Other than blue cheeses, I like manchego, especially with port, goudas, fontinas, pepper jack...one I don't see often is Norwegian Gjetost. It's a burnt orange color and has a very strong taste, something like a salty caramel cheese.

Tillamook Black Pepper, Tillamook Garlic (actually, any Tillamook cheese)
If you are ever on the Oregon coast, stop by Tillamook Cheese Factory--their store sells some flavors you can only get there)
Guyere
Gouda-regular and smoked
Trader Joes cranberry Goat cheese
Kerrygold Dubliner
Fresh Mozzarella

Cougar Gold made at Washington State University. Sharp, nutty white cheddar. Excellent.

I also think the marinated Labneh from Brush Creek Creamery is delightful on crackers.

We like cheese but are not knowledgeable about it. Our favorite is Havarti because of its flavor and texture. It literally goes with everything.

Oh, and some people think Yancey's Fancy cheeses feel a bit overprocessed, but I love their bacon, steakhouse onion, and peppadew cheeses.

I love Cambozola, it's like a blue cheese brie! I do also love Stilton, too. Other than blue cheeses, I like manchego, especially with port, goudas, fontinas, pepper jack...one I don't see often is Norwegian Gjetost. It's a burnt orange color and has a very strong taste, something like a salty caramel cheese.
As you like Cambozola I encourage you to try the higher end versions made by the same company. Cambozola Black Label is very good and definitely a cut above the regular IMO. Grand Noir is simply out of this world and one of my all time faves!

I’ve seen Cambozola Black Label carried by Murray’s cheese counter inside Krogers in the southeast US. Costco occasionally carries Gran Noir, more typically around the holidays.

Two things made me love cheese forever. When I was 17 I got a pre Christmas job at a Swiss Colony store in a mall. We made our own cheese balls. We were encouraged to offer samples and sample the cheese ourselves, in order to help customers.

The second was living two blocks from one of the early Trader Joe’s stores in West Los Angeles in the early 1980s. I love cambozola too. It was $2.59/lb at TJs in 1982. Love all cheeses, really.

If cheese stops you up, enjoy in moderation, and take a dose of Miralax now and then, whenever you enjoy too much cheese.

I haven't even heard of the cheese's you folks are talking about. I'm not saying I haven't had them, but I like cheese and even if it's a Velveeta in a single wrapped slice.

My favorite is Swiss of any kind any flavor.

Back
Top Bottom