VA Disability and SS Benefits

wrigley

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hello,

I was speaking to a gentleman the other day that told me he started collecting his SS benefits at age 62 but was actually collecting the amount he would have received at FRA. He said this was because he was also 100% VA disabled Permanent and Total (P&T). I have never heard of this. Anyone?

Thanks
Mike

Generally yes this is true.
When one collects SSDI instead of the regular SS, then the amount when one starts to collect the payments is equal to the amount that one would receive at FRA (full retirement age). This is true even when one starts collecting before age 62.

Generally yes this is true.
When one collects SSDI instead of the regular SS, then the amount when one starts to collect the payments is equal to the amount that one would receive at FRA (full retirement age). This is true even when one starts collecting before age 62.
Thanks for the response. This is NOT SSDI. This is VA disability.

Mike

My husband was classified as disabled by the VA in 2009 when Parkinson's was added to the Agent Orange list. He was reassessed as 100% disabled P&T (permanent and total) in 2020. He signed up for SS in 2009 when he retired at age 63. He died in 2021. His SS was always reduced to the age 63 based amount. I don't know if this is because VA disability doesn't affect the amount of SS one gets if they apply early or if it is because we did not know to challenge the SS amount based on his VA status. We worked with VSOs who, I think, would have made sure we knew about SS coordination with VA if it were applicable.

My husband was classified as disabled by the VA in 2009 when Parkinson's was added to the Agent Orange list. He was reassessed as 100% disabled P&T (permanent and total) in 2020. He signed up for SS in 2009 when he retired at age 63. He died in 2021. His SS was always reduced to the age 63 based amount. I don't know if this is because VA disability doesn't affect the amount of SS one gets if they apply early or if it is because we did not know to challenge the SS amount based on his VA status. We worked with VSOs who, I think, would have made sure we knew about SS coordination with VA if it were applicable.
VA disability and SS are two different entities. One does not affect the other. I'm just a bit bewildered by this because the guy that told me this, isn't one to talk BS. Although, I have not been able to find anything on the subject and find it hard to believe that I have never heard about this from anyone else, EVER. My wife and have a combined total of 44 years of active military service and are still in the loop with many military veterans and this subject has never come up.

My Dad is 100% disabled thru the VA but gets his SS based on his retirement age of 64, not the full benefit. Now i'm curious if he has been getting underpaid all these years but I don't think so.

It sounds like he applied for SSDI at age 62 instead of regular SS retirement benefits. SSDI would be the full amount he would get at FRA. It's taxed the same as regular SS and reported on the same form, so it wouldn't seem any different to the recipient.

Being 100% disabled in VA terminology doesn't automatically qualify someone for SSDI, but you could use the same evidence for both claims.

It sounds like he applied for SSDI at age 62 instead of regular SS retirement benefits. SSDI would be the full amount he would get at FRA. It's taxed the same as regular SS and reported on the same form, so it wouldn't seem any different to the recipient.

Being 100% disabled in VA terminology doesn't automatically qualify someone for SSDI, but you could use the same evidence for both claims.
This is exactly what I was thinking but I wouldn't have been able to write it so well. This post will be very helpful. Thanks.

Well, he never said SSDI. He specifically said SS. BUT.....I'll clarify with him the next time I see him. Thanks everyone. :)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom