My First Cruise!

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I got back on Sunday from my first cruise. It was a 7 day trip to Bermuda on the Norwegian Joy. Two days at sea, 3 days at the Royal Dockyard in Bermuda and about a day and a half to get home to the Manhattan Terminal in NYC.

Overall it was great! My biggest hesitation about cruising has always been being on vacation with 4,000 other people. The ship was large enough that there were always people around but it never felt crowded.

I did this with my sister. She is 72 and I am 69, we left our husbands at home. This is her 36th cruise. She and her husband have graduated from the large ships and small staterooms to the "ship within a ship" upper class things like "The Haven" on Norwegian. Recently they've sailed on smaller ships with bigger staterooms and posher accomodations.

Her husband (77) is recovering from an accident where he broke his shoulder and ended up with a replacement and a long recovery. After his surgery he went to a rehab facility for a few weeks and then had a hospital bed in their living room until he could do stairs. He's recovered enough that he can now do stairs and drive and resume most of his normal activities. So she needed a getaway and asked if I wanted to try a cruise.

We took a couple of excursions in Bermuda. One was a trip to Horseshoe Bay Beach. The plan was to rent the beach loungers and an umbrella and just relax and enjoy the water sounds, etc. We got there and it was too windy so they were not renting umbrellas. So we had 3 hours in the quite brutal sun. I basted myself in sunblock and wore a hat and covered with a towel. The water was gorgeous and the rocks and cliffs were scenic. I didn't go in the water past my knees because there were rip current warnings posted and it was very rough just a few yards off the beach.

Our other excursion was a "Homes and Hideaways" boat tour which was a lot of fun. The guide was very informative and entertaining. The boat movement did not bother me at all and I'm glad we did this one.

I loved the days at sea! We explored the ship, went to shows and talks about the ship operations, saw a comedy show and a Beatles band. In one of the big public areas there were silly audience participation games and sales pitches for more cruises. What we loved best was an outdoor walking deck that also had lounging areas and seating spaces for folks to gather and hang out. There were servers who could get you a drink or snack. And it was quiet out there.

My sister and I are not big drinkers so we did not get a drinks package. She had a couple glasses of wine with dinners and I got a "Dark and Stormy" which is either a well known ship drink or maybe a Bermuda thing.

Our stateroom was a Club Balcony Suite with an extra large balcony. Normal balconies have room for two chairs and a little side table. Ours was extra deep and had room for the regular chairs and small table plus 2 full lounge chairs and a small dining table. I'm so glad we opted for the larger balcony, we spent a lot of time out there. We also had a larger bathroom with sinks for 2 and a fantastic spacious shower. The space was narrow (I think it was just about 8 feet wide) but was compact and efficient with plenty of shelves and a good sized closet.

My sister has a problem with loud places. She has a hard time with background noise. I have this somewhat too, but I'm much more tolerant of the situation. So there were public spaces that she just could not tolerate, particularly the pool area. We tried to sit in a shady spot and just people watch and chat. There was noise from the kids water play area, a DJ playing party music very loudly and people shouting over the music. We could not hear each other and got up and left. We tried another area away from the pool and that area had a bar and two hot tubs with people drinking and singing. So we ended up finding quieter areas. Not a complaint, just something to be aware of. Overall, for all the bars and drinks happening I never saw anybody drunk or out of control. Just a lot of people having a very good time.

At 72 and 69 years old we fit right in to the cruising age range. There were many young families, families with older kids, older couples and groups and many folks older than us. There were also a lot of disabled or just elderly with walkers or rollators, wheelchairs and electric scooters or carts. The ship had many accommodations so that everyone could get around and partake in everything.

My sister loves to talk to everybody and of course they talk about their cruises. When I said that it was my first cruise they usually ask, "When is your next one?" My standard answer was "Travel is not a priority for me." I may do another one sometime, maybe not. I truly hate flying and getting to the port city was a hassle and the return was just as bad. It doesn't ruin it for me but it's part of the experience.

So, I'm very glad I did this, it was a great experience and a nice thing to do with my sister. (y) Now I know what everyone else is talking about!

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^

I took my first (and last) cruise around 1981. I enjoyed it, but now I've been there, done that and got the T-shirt. No interest in another cruise at this point in my life. YMMV.

Been on exactly 1 cruise and have no desire to ever go on another one. I have friends that go monthly and love it. Different strokes!

Glad you liked it. Bermuda is lovely so it's nice you had a few days there. Personally I will avoid sailing days in the future. I learned on my last one I only want boats that travel at night, daytime wobbling is not for me. I prefer smaller boats so maybe it's less of an issue on bigger ones.

What's nice though is you and your sister have a great way to spend time together on something you can both enjoy. If you aren't that fussed about the ports you visit, look into out-and-back type cruises in florida or somewhere close to you so you have less travel to and from. They can't go as far but usually hit a few nice spots in the Bahamas or western Caribbean.

When my sister started looking for possible cruises for us, she looked for a port that we could get to with a non-stop flight. We flew from Cleveland (CLE) so Newark, NJ (EWR) was close to Manhattan terminal. We came up with the idea in mid-April so this was a fairly short planning window.

Also, she was using her United Airline miles for the flights so we were limited to one airline. Nice deal for me, she bought the flights with her miles and I paid her $200 for my part. I don't think I could have flown anywhere for $200.

Everything else we split 50/50.

Nice trip report! The sea days make for a relaxing vacation because there is really no schedule on those days. That, as opposed to a typical cruise where you dock somewhere in the AM and pull away in the evening, every day for X days. You can make one of those relaxing too... there's no rule that says you need to get off the ship. But it's just that feeling "I'm here and might never get the chance to see this place again, so I 'should' get off."

Glad you enjoyed it! The mega-ships aren't for me but I've found that as I get older I'm gravitating more towards organized travel where I don't have to deal with the logistics. I've done cruises on ships with 50 or so passengers and really like those. They also get into places the big ships can't go and frequently include all excursions in the cost. So the front end costs are higher but no sticker shock when the trip is over.

Some other thoughts on cruising….

I’m impressed by the size of the cruise industry. So many of these large ships filled with people spending good chunks of money vacationing. We saw many young families and family groups. Could have been a one time big family vacation but for some they do this yearly. Anyone we (mostly my sister) talked to, this was not their first cruise, some do this 2-4 times a year. I know my sister has 3 more cruises booked between Feb 2025 and spring 2026.

I remember during 2020 when all travel shut down during the pandemic and cruises just halted. It’s so nice to see that it’s recovered and that plenty of people have the money to spend on a great vacation.

According to one of my sisters Norwegian is a cruise line to avoid... if you want to try again go a bit more up in the level of line... she said that the food was not good and even her roommate (who LIKES TV dinners) said the same...

We have been on 20 plus cruises. Carnival, NCL, Princess, RCI, Celebrity, and Crystal. Our preference overall is Celebrity but that is purely a personal choice. No cruise line loyalty. We select based on itinerary, ship, price, and cruise line. We have done a fair amount of last minute cruises in Europe and Caribbean.

Our experience is that the ship and the crew is as, or more, important as the cruise line.

Some cruise lines have large differences in size between ships in their fleet. The other difference is ship crew/management. We have had some fabulous cruises and some mediocre cruises on the same cruise line.

But.. we set our expectations accordingly and have never had a bad cruise. Just different ones!

I really appreciate your detailed review Sue. I will have to try at least one cruise, although I do not see that in the cards this year due to family priorities.

I do land cruises using busses, trains, and the occasional rental car. However, I have been tempted to cruise on the water also.

But, I see those Viking commercials on Masterpiece, and wonder how can I see those great views from a ship? Most must be taken from at least 500+ feet altitude. And will I really have time to walk through a vineyard alone, only me and the caretaker? And can I be the one in the kitchen baking a delicious loaf of bread with the plump baker lady?

Still, I may try a river cruise in the next year or two.

Last edited:
..... and I got a "Dark and Stormy" which is either a well known ship drink or maybe a Bermuda thing.
It's a Bermuda thing... Dark and Stormy is wonderful, smooth and potent! Rum, ginger beer, and fresh lime juice. What's not to love?!

Danger, Will Robinson; the second one after a day at the beach is deadly (personal experience)

Glad you enjoyed your cruise and your time with your sister.

I’m glad you enjoyed your first cruise. I’m currently searching for my 26th one, but can’t decide where to go. I hope you can get a few more under your belt.

I do land cruises using busses, trains, and the occasional rental car. However, I have been tempted to cruise on the water also.

But, I see those Viking commercials on Masterpiece, and wonder how can I see those great views from a ship? Most must be taken from at least 500+ feet altitude. And will I really have time to walk through a vineyard alone, only me and the caretaker? And can I be the one in the kitchen baking a delicious loaf of bread with the plump baker lady?

We found the viking 'Grand European Tour' which is 15 days was fantastic, we went in June to avoid Summer vacation time for Europeans.
Get on the mailing lists, so you can be bombarded with emails, as then you will learn the normal price, the good offers they occasionally send, and the OMG offers sent rarely that are literally 1/2 price and never seen by me before.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We are in our mid 60's and still enjoy cruises and travel in general. Not past the Go Go phase, but ready to pare it back just a bit.

DW and I did Romantic Danube with Viking, along with her sisters. I enjoyed it more than I expected. The things we saw on excursions were pretty good. No, you won't be alone doing something unless you go do it yourself.

Do ships dump untreated sewage in the ocean? Or newer ships have better treatment methods before dumping? I’ve read that countries have regulations prohibiting dumping sewage within 3 miles of land but no such restrictions beyond that. So to me a river cruise is more friendly to the environment.

Do ships dump untreated sewage in the ocean? Or newer ships have better treatment methods before dumping? I’ve read that countries have regulations prohibiting dumping sewage within 3 miles of land but no such restrictions beyond that. So to me a river cruise is more friendly to the environment.
If this site is to believed, then, no, untreated sewage is not emptied into the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom