What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Spent the entire day cutting grass, transplanted squash/pumpkins, watered the new trees, worked on riding mower. It was a great day at the ranch and I always enjoy lunch time just sitting there and taking in the sounds and sights.

Here is a picture of how I'm going to try gardening on this slope. Above is a ditch that carrier's water for crop/hay fields. The slope has two saddles and I transplanted in both those valleys. My objective is when it rains those valleys/saddles hold water and will water those plants. It also will stay very moist under the fabric and is a great weed barrier. I also can run water down those valleys from above to water when I need too. I have the old corral planted like that and really works great. I don't have to water but a few time all season.
IMG_3658.jpg

Last edited:
Day following DW's knee replacement. She spent yesterday walking with a walker. Today no walker. Up and down stairs. Gets around very well. No pain. She takes meds at 6 am, 8 am, noon, 4 pm, 6 pm, 8 pm and midnight.

Doesn't look like I'll have housework/laundry for more than a couple of days.

Day following DW's knee replacement. She spent yesterday walking with a walker. Today no walker. Up and down stairs. Gets around very well. No pain. She takes meds at 6 am, 8 am, noon, 4 pm, 6 pm, 8 pm and midnight.

Good to hear, but let us know how she is getting along once the pain meds are stopped.

Well, that is great!!! She is doing very well. My dad had one done and was up and doing his regular routine after a few days also. He was about 80 when he had that done.

Good to hear, but let us know how she is getting along once the pain meds are stopped.
Thanks - So far she's only had minor pain so she hasn't needed any Oxycodone or Tramadol. But she'll be on the other 9 meds for a while.
Well, that is great!!! She is doing very well. My dad had one done and was up and doing his regular routine after a few days also. He was about 80 when he had that done.
Thanks - It's amazing how fast one can recovery from a joint replacement - especially in the case of your dad at 80.

Yesterday's adventure was interrupted with a surprise thunderstorm. I was hiking in the high country and was caught in a storm but found a huge rock quarry with overhanging rock shelve to get under and out of the storm. The rain finally stopped and then the high winds started. I headed back down and left for home.
In the evening, I mowed the grass and took a tomato plant to a friend and planted it for him.

In my opinion there isn't a more beautiful place on earth then the badlands.
Agreed! We only live 2 hours a way but this was our first overnight trip. Don’t know what took us so long. Well, dropping back to part time w*rk certainly was certainly a game changer.

Crazy busy from Tuesday:

- Tuesday: worked as election judge for state primary. Fortunately everything went well and all the voters regardless of affiliation were polite. Done by 9pm, then DW and I hit the road at 10pm to get to a hotel near Newark Airport by 2am, for the next days adventure, which was...

-Wednesday: headed into New York City, one of our sons was receiving a graduate degree from NYU. School-wide ceremony was in Yankee Stadium. Smooth sailing from airport airtran to NJ transit to Penn Station to subway to the Bronx, and we met up with our son beforehand. Of course, it was mass confusion outside the stadium. Not only was it, to quote Chicago, "another rainy day in New York City", the stadium wifi was overloaded by everyone trying to get and show their tickets (no paper tickets, everything electronic via Yankees and Ticketmaster). Took us about 2 hours to get in, but we did not miss much of the ceremony. afterwards met up with more family who did not have tickets but wanted to congratulate DS, and we treated everyone to a late lunch, before heading back to NJ and hotel. I needed rest to get up the next day, because...

- Thursday: Back into NYC, this time Manhattan, for the NYU graduate school ceremony where he actually walked across the stage to get his diploma (actually they did not give out the diplomas, just "hooded" them). Still another rainy day in NYC, but no transportation problems. Much better wifi at the theater where the ceremony was held so no delays conjuring up etickets. After the ceremony he and rest of family who was around just wanted to relax and hang out in apartment he was staying at (very large and nice place) and we picked up takeout. DW and I and the "older" family folks left around 7, son and some of the "younger" ones hung around and went to a jazz club later that night.

- Today: the first day this week I was not required to be up no later than 5:30AM, so we slept "late" until around 8, grabbed breakfast, and hit the road to get back home in the afternoon before Friday rush hour.

An exhausting but good visit. Despite all the issues you hear about NYC, we really did not encounter anything. Of course, having grown up there, I know how to be alert and aware as to not be caught off guard :) , and how to politely but firmly deal with the various people who come up to you. Another DS decided to drive into Manhattan because he had never driven there before, and now says he will never drive there again. Sometimes you have to let them find out these things for themselves.😁

Busy day. Drove DW to a 9:30 Physical Therapy appointment (she has a lot of back pain and it's painful for her to drive) then back home, then to a 2:00 Dr. appointment. We drove the truck both trips because the truck passenger seat is more comfortable than the Honda for her. Then when we got home the new APC UPS for the new computer was on the front porch.

Got that set up and tested. It turns out it'll run for almost an hour and a half on battery (87 min. according to the software) which was a bit of a surprise. I'll admit I didn't bother to do any calculations about what size to buy, I just got the biggest that seemed reasonable for home use (1500 watts) in part because I assumed that the 34" screen would be a power hog. Evidently not so. And operating on that now-known-to-be-false assumption I also ordered an external battery pack for it which doubles the run time. So when the power goes out here (rare) I can sit in the dark and play on the PC for three hours while DW glowers at me. Hmm... maybe I should rethink that plan.

Went to the doctors office, glad they accept walk ins, had the Doc look at my leg and got a scrip for antibiotics. Wednesday I was watering plants on a hillside and slipped and fell. Shin must have landed on a rock and it took a bite. Did not break the cloth of my Levis at least. Spending the rest of the day chilling, it is kind of sore. :nonono:

Out the door by 530, I took a trailer up to Port Townsend to pick up a rental Kubota with mower, and mowed the new property.
PXL_20240517_171615337.jpg

After I was done I checked out some live edge slabs for the kitchen island.
This interesting matchup is myrtlewood. Neat but a little bit wonky for island duty.
PXL_20240517_212157572.jpg

The wenge is spectacular, not wide enough.
PXL_20240517_212523596.jpg

Back
Top Bottom