2024 Investment Performance Thread

That’s a heavy crypto tilt. How’s your VTI up 38%?
Yes, I thought YTD Vanguard VTI claim was a bit high. I believe that is all time. YTD is 9.58%

Yes, high in crypto :). Much to its success. Started at 5-10% allocation prior to bull run. Will reallocate soon.

I'm irresponsibly higher risk than I would suggest to anyone. I feel comfortable doing this since my wife and I have dual military pensions.

Last edited:
Yes, I thought YTD Vanguard VTI claim was a bit high. I checked it a couple times. It may be a YoY. I'll check it again.

Yes, heavy in crypto :). Much to its success. Started at 5-10% allocation prior to bull run. These returns are YTD. Will reallocate soon.

I'm higher risk than I would suggest to anyone. I feel comfortable doing this since my wife and I have dual military pensions.
I'm pretty aggressive with my investments too but my crypto position is so small it barely registers in my allocation. :LOL:

My VTI in my brokerage account is up 52.8% YTD if I include my contributions but only 12.6% if I don't. Maybe your number includes contributions?

I'm pretty aggressive with my investments too but my crypto position is so small it barely registers in my allocation. :LOL:

My VTI in my brokerage account is up 52.8% YTD if I include my contributions but only 12.6% if I don't. Maybe your number includes contributions?
It very well could be. Vanguard does not make it easy to decipher for sure.

For the lovely month of April 2024, our portfolio total was -1.95%.

For the year +2.66% increase.

As measured just now, it is 65% equities and the rest is bond funds, iBonds, HYSA, and MMF.

We spent a proper amount in Spain, and that will come out of this month's gyrations.

I use the Excel XIRR function and, yes, it does include both withdrawals and additions. I am currently at 5.0% with 65% equities and 35% fixed income.
This is the "gold standard". I use an estimate, which we were calling "monkey (something or other), which just presumes even spending over the time period. A few times I did xirr and compared it with even spending and it was so close as to not worry about. But I do an "all-in" calculation, meaning all accounts, investment and spending accounts are included, which is why xirr is too much effort for this "gee wiz" number.

My reports here each month, too, are inclusive of spending. I track our comprehensive portfolio at two brokerages via Empower (formerly Personal Capital.)

I'm all-in on a S&P index fund; 9.5% YTD. Have been so since I retired in 2012 and haven't touched it since my pension and now SS more than meets our financial needs.

Just returned from our 5 1/2 week dive vacation and have caught up on my quicken updates. My values are exclusive of additions and subtractions as I haven't been taking withdrawals for a couple of years now that SS has kicked in for me.

April MTD -3.52%
April YTD +4.35%

Allocation at 81/16/3

Too lazy to calculate but looks like about 7% so far - helped by PMs and Old Megacorp stock on a tear lately. Big spending comes later in the year, but I don't expect it to affect total too much (less than 1% as most proposed spending is baked in the cake already.) YMMV

Back
Top Bottom