Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2024 - Please post updates here

I'm looking at the same rates/timeframes too. I'm like you, my investment time horizon is no longer measured in many decades. But more like 5 to 10 years, 15 on the outside.
Yeah, if I get 10 more good years, I will be thrilled, If it's 15 more, I won't be thinking about yield on my portfolio! :ROFLMAO:

I just put in an order at Fidelity for a 5.3% noncallable 5yr CD, CUSIP DSO5F0635 at FIRST NATIONAL BK & TR in Iron Mountain, MI. Feels good locking in a decent rate for 5 years.
It is callable.

ETA: Log in to Fidelity
Call schedule attached.
1715871488285.png

FWIW, I'd recommend that you should not buy brokered CD's from First Carolina Bank. I had one from them that matured on Tuesday and while they did return my original investment, I'm still waiting on the last months interest. The monthly interest payment is a just a little over 1k so not a big deal but still......:(

When folks here buy brokered CDs, do you research the bank or just make sure your investment is under the FDIC limits for each institution?

In addition to what info the broker has on the bank, I'll typically check out the banks website and see what their rating is on the following: Star Ratings | BauerFinancial Unfortunately, all that doesn't tell you how diligent/timely they are at paying on their obligations.

I am not as diligent as car-guy; I just stay under the FDIC limits.

Same here, although id the rates are equal, I will go for the better known company.
It only takes me 5 or 6 minutes to "check on" a bank offering the brokered CD's. I also try to stay away from banks located in "certain states". Not sure it helps but at least I feel better about "loaning" them my money.

When Signature Bank got into trouble I got a good deal on a CD because people confused Signature Bank Chicago (not related) with the one in trouble. As long as its FDIC I wouldn't worry about it.

FWIW, I'd recommend that you should not buy brokered CD's from First Carolina Bank. I had one from them that matured on Tuesday and while they did return my original investment, I'm still waiting on the last months interest. The monthly interest payment is a just a little over 1k so not a big deal but still......:(
Just got the interest paid to my account about 5pm today. That's 3 days late.... The way I figure it, they should pay me another 3 days of interest or ~$100... Of course that would be difficult to collect "late payments" from them.. :)

I confess that the markets have me a bit spooked (Shiller PE is about 35), so I pulled about 40% of my equities off the table and fled to fixed.
Me too, kinda. It is an election year (like no other I recall!), so a correction/crash is unlikely, but I did go from an AA of 60/40 to 50/50 this week while equities were posting new highs.

Never say never, but I may never buy equities again. At my age, and spend rate, I'm making enough interest off my fixed income investments and SS to pay the bills, have fun, and still save some.

Me too, kinda. It is an election year (like no other I recall!), so a correction/crash is unlikely, but I did go from an AA of 60/40 to 50/50 this week while equities were posting new highs.
Nobody ever went broke taking a profit.

I take a profit from time to time. Earlier this year I took a bit of money off the table for a likely future expense. As of yesterday, I had made back almost all of it.:) But, what the market gives, the market can also take away. It's a nice feeling having that future expense paid for.

Back
Top Bottom