Bitwarden account - Attempted hack today

Most password managers allow for 2FA. Only turn on the 2FA that uses a code generator such as Authy, Google Authenticator, etc. Or those that use a phyusical key such as a Yubikey.

Avoid turning on 2FA schemes that send codes to your phone via a message. Bad guys are experts at stealing your phone number.

My phone number with Verizon is locked to my phone.

Just got this email from Bitwarden. Thank God I don't keep investment or bank account login data in these password managers. I use Bitwarden as a backup to my LastPass account which is active. At least they were unsuccessful in getting in and stealing things like my Seeking Alpha username/password and a slew of logins for other non-essential websites I visit.

Well Bitwarden, thanks for the EXTRA security, whatever it is. (y) (why wait until a hack attempt before you add the EXTRA SECURITY?)
With due respect, you could have turned "extra security" yourself, 2FA using either Authenticator or passkey. I get you use BW as a back-up, but seems important enough to prevent a simple hack attack and BW provides the tools to require more than a simple password. FWIW, I see daily (and multiple times a day) someone is trying to hack into my Microsoft account. I can see the activity in Microsoft Authenticator. I can't fault the tool for doing what it's supposed to do, just like BW did for you.

My phone number with Verizon is locked to my phone.

With due respect, you could have turned "extra security" yourself, 2FA using either Authenticator or passkey. I get you use BW as a back-up, but seems important enough to prevent a simple hack attack and BW provides the tools to require more than a simple password. FWIW, I see daily (and multiple times a day) someone is trying to hack into my Microsoft account. I can see the activity in Microsoft Authenticator. I can't fault the tool for doing what it's supposed to do, just like BW did for you.
Yeah, I could have, but I didn't.

To me an underrated measure is to either have a unique username and/or a rarely used different email address for highest security applications.

I really don’t see an alternative to using a password manager these days if you need to be able to login from multiple locations etc. storing them on your phone or written down is less safe.
I got off LastPass and on Bitwarden after lp seemed more concerned with their image and profits than security a year or two ago.

2fa thru an app or key is best, but a huge hassle… 2fa thru your phone leaves you a bit vulnerable.

Bottom line is at some point most of us will have someone try to hack phish or otherwise get into our accounts. Just need to be vigilant.

Back
Top Bottom