......but I don't work here anymore.

The week is over, which means my year of remote half-time at the dumpster fire is done!

No news from the dumpster fire. In Outlook the away message is visible before sending an email, and so I assume nobody wanted to send an email to me knowing it's getting forwarded back to themselves.

All told, this has been an interesting first year "post-resignation" and fully embracing the implication of our recent arrival at FI. I'm up to my eyeballs this week on a fun project in Switzerland (all remote), but was thinking of starting a new topic to decompress and reflect on the first year of my FIRE glide path since resigning from my full-time gig.

Thanks to all that followed this (hopefully) morbidly amusing situation.

It was all good stuff. For every person that has waxed poetic about their job and work family and all that jazz, there has to be stories like yours and thanks for sharing it.

It's been a good read.
Now go enjoy your time as you wish!

I left Mega Corp after 29 years of service. COVID work from home and understaffing made my job impossible to be successful regardless of the 14 hours days and working during vacation time, personal time, after hours, etc.. After multiple discussions with my senior leadership over 6 months that I was overloaded, they were still only interested in their weekly TPS reports and other unrealistic metrics. I put in my "retirement" which was basically a resignation with a 2-week notice. I have since received multiple text & phone communications from some of my workplace peers inquiring if I was willing to comeback to an old position prior to my last position as the dumpster fire was out of control. I always respond with the same - "You're Funny" then I move subject to asking how their personal life and family are doing. I worked with some really good people, but I don't give a tiny rat behind about Mega Corp dumpster fires anymore.

Last edited:
I worked with some really good people, but I don't give a tiny rat behind about Mega Corp dumpster fires anymore.
I feel exactly the same way. Dumpster fire management still seems convinced that employees care about extinguishing the dumpster fires they create.

Maybe some still do, but I don't.

LOL, I just remembered when I interviewed for a job... I was unemployed at the time so wanted something.... but it became very clear during the discussion that they were WAY behind in doing what they needed to do... they said that they were working 70 to 80 hours a week to try and fix the problems and what could I do to help?

I told them nothing... I was not interested in working those kind of crazy hours... thanked them for their time and left... dumpster fire mgmt seems to be pretty common...

As a consultant, I assist other organizations with certain tasks and can confirm that dumpster fire management is common in my field.

From what I've seen, organizations either promote the least competent know-it-alls internally or hire those same kind of people from other organizations.

Back
Top Bottom