Cancer screening test by Galleri?

FREE866

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone have any experience with Galleri ?

Looks like a pre screening test for dozens of cancers in a single blood test.

I did it. Looking at their data, I'm not sure how good it is in detecting cancer in the early stages. Looks pretty good at detecting in the later stages. It's also expensive, about $1,000. It gives you only a pass/fail result. They just send you a note that says you have cancer or not. I found this company; OneTest™ for Early Detection of Multiple Cancers and I've used them for two years now, one test per year. They use a number of standard blood tests, and you get the test results. About $200 for the test. I'll not use the Galleri test again I don't believe.

I did it. Looking at their data, I'm not sure how good it is in detecting cancer in the early stages. Looks pretty good at detecting in the later stages. It's also expensive, about $1,000. It gives you only a pass/fail result. They just send you a note that says you have cancer or not. I found this company; OneTest™ for Early Detection of Multiple Cancers and I've used them for two years now, one test per year. They use a number of standard blood tests, and you get the test results. About $200 for the test. I'll not use the Galleri test again I don't believe.
Yeah, that jumped out at me as well. Seems to be much more accurate for latter stage cancers. Also, certain cancers are much more detectable than others.

I did and just got the results back yesterday, It is a No Cancer detected/or detected signal. My doctor recommended it along with his physical and blood test. Cost $750. Glad I did it but waiting for 2 weeks after blood draw was an anxious period. I'll definitely do this annually and if there is a better testing option I would also consider. MY FIL just passed with stage 4 lung cancer (he was very healthy at 83) and had no idea he had issues. Made me rethink all early detection options. So, worth a try for peace of mind.

I wonder about folks like me who already have cancer. Not a lot of point if the test can't identify ANOTHER (different) cancer. Guess I'll probably pass on this test.

Kola, fist I agree with u and if u already know then u know. I'd pass on the test. And, my hope is that u fight and beat the cancer. Stay strong and do everything u can to beat back the issue. Best wishes for a healthy future.

Kola, fist I agree with u and if u already know then u know. I'd pass on the test. And, my hope is that u fight and beat the cancer. Stay strong and do everything u can to beat back the issue. Best wishes for a healthy future.
Thanks. So far, everything is looking pretty good.

Anyone have any experience with Galleri ?

Looks like a pre screening test for dozens of cancers in a single blood test.

I asked my doctor if she thinks this is a good idea. She said she keeps getting pitches from a number of companies but she doesn’t think it’s always in the best interest of her patients. She said the dilemma is what should you do if you find out you have cancer since you can end up treating a cancer that would have never caused any problems. She also said you can then be potentially exposed to chemo earlier and have to live with its effects for longer. For these reasons, she doesn’t recommend those screenings in the absence of symptoms or known risk factors.

I asked my doctor if she thinks this is a good idea. She said she keeps getting pitches from a number of companies but she doesn’t think it’s always in the best interest of her patients. She said the dilemma is what should you do if you find out you have cancer since you can end up treating a cancer that would have never caused any problems. She also said you can then be potentially exposed to chemo earlier and have to live with its effects for longer. For these reasons, she doesn’t recommend those screenings in the absence of symptoms or known risk factors.
Thank you Letj
Interesting take.

I suspect this is one of those tests that will evolve with better specificity in the future. I hope so. Having said that, if the test came back "positive" for cancer, I'm guessing the "risk vs benefit" would favor CT scans of chest and abdomen. Perhaps there are other specific tests which could be run for cancers.

I agree that there are "issues" with this test, but just because it's not yet specific enough, I'm not sure that means it can't be useful under the right circumstances. YMMV

It looks quite interesting. Cleveland Clinic has an article about it's accuracy and sensitivity. It seems that its specificity is quite good, but sensitivity in early stages of cancer is not as good.

I asked my medical oncologist about it two years ago. He wasn't interested at the time. I may revisit the issue this year.

It looks quite interesting. Cleveland Clinic has an article about it's accuracy and sensitivity. It seems that its specificity is quite good, but sensitivity in early stages of cancer is not as good.

That article makes the test appear to be potentially worthwhile - even at the price. I'll ask my PCP what he thinks.

An interesting thought occurred to me. I was treated for cancer and the question is whether the treatment arrested the cancer or "killed" the cancer. I wonder if this test could help decide that question.

Back
Top Bottom