Current Covid Booster - September 2023

DW and I got our covid booster and flu shot yesterday morning at CVS. We both feel fine other than some soreness at the injection point.

I thought perhaps people here getting both would be interested. If I had planned to get high dose (not old enough) or same day (I don't do that) I would have reconsidered. It isn't as if it is difficult to find a flu shot.

From your CNN link there could be some association with stroke but only with the high dose flu shot. It is given to high risk folks, mostly those over 65 and may by itself be associated with in increase in stroke. The increase in stroke risk was seen in only one of six studies.

From the same link:

"Other experts said they hoped the information wouldn’t confuse people or deter them from getting their vaccines, since the benefits of getting them still greatly outweigh the risks."

I know only one person IRL who has got a covid shot. . . I don't think most people have really given it any thought at all (but maybe I am wrong).

Spouse and I got the Covid shot a few weeks ago. Got it Friday after work. She had no reaction other than some soreness at the injection area for a few days. I felt a little weird for a few days like a cold coming on but other than that ok by Monday. Glad we got them.

No more Covid shots for me. I did get the annual flu shot though. I was jabbed four times with Covid shots and came down with it twice. Yeah, maybe if I did not get the shots my infections would have been more serious. But maybe they would not have.

I learned today that a couple I know have COVID. They're well into their 70s, with comorbidities. The word is that they're pretty sick.

I know only one person IRL who has got a covid shot. . . I don't think most people have really given it any thought at all (but maybe I am wrong).

We don't plan to get the covid shot, and we don't know anybody IRL who has got it either. Plus, nobody here wears masks any more at all. I haven't seen even one mask in months even at the doctor's office.

That said, we're still staying home a lot more than we once did. Actually I like staying home (in my "Dream Home"!).

Frank likes staying home too, since he is an amateur radio enthusiast, and has pretty much turned his entire house into his Ham Shack. Ham radio heaven.... :D :LOL: I know we have some hams on the forum who understand.

But he does work part time at a bar, also, so he's around a lot more people than I am.

Frank likes staying home too, since he is an amateur radio enthusiast, and has pretty much turned his entire house into his Ham Shack. Ham radio heaven.... :D :LOL: I know we have some hams on the forum who understand.

It does seem to expand. I have been a ham about 2.5 years and upgraded to extra in August so I could operate in Europe. Radio collection is now 3 and growing. Going to a ham fest this weekend and I have a list of things I am looking for. A couple of weeks ago I was at a ham fest and I picked up these vintage avocado colored set of headphones from a SK estate. They were to cool to just let them be thrown out. The sound quality is nothing like today but in certain cases I use them as they are better in that scenario.

I am going to expand my workstation after the holidays add a new computer and at least 2 monitors.

Today I was out activating a park for pota.

Reactions: W2R
We have now had 6 Covid shots (the last a few weeks ago). We have never had any side effects. We have never gotten Covid even though we have pretty much resumed normal life and have been exposed to Covid several times . We plan to get all the Covid shots that are recommended for us in the future.

DH and my Covid (Moderna) and flu shots are scheduled for 11/11. I tried to get an earlier appt at my fave pharmacy but no such luck.

No more Covid shots for me. I did get the annual flu shot though. I was jabbed four times with Covid shots and came down with it twice. Yeah, maybe if I did not get the shots my infections would have been more serious. But maybe they would not have.

I got COVID after the first 3 jabs.

No worse than a bad cold, though.

I just got my latest COVID jab last week.

All Pfizer, & I've never had any side effects.

Spouse felt ill for a few days after getting COVID & flu jabs at the same time.

So I'll wait another week or so for the latter.

Got my booster this past Friday. Got my flu vaccine a week ago.

I got my booster (5 total now), all Pfizer and flu shot on Saturday at 3:40pm. They were 100% covered by my insurance.

I did get to 100 F fever last night and was overall weak the entire day. I took 500 mg of Tylenol generic before sleep. Woke up refreshed today but still not 100% feeling well. Tomorrow, should get better.

Let me clear something up folks: No vaccine is 100% preventive but they help a lot meaning even if you were to get sick the damage will be much less severe than if you didn’t get vaccinated and yes you can get sick after getting any vaccine which means the shot is doing it’s work. Each person responds differently. You will always recover in 1-3 days.

Last edited:
Well, I tried. I've seen/heard anecdotal evidence of increasing cases. The latest was Jim Cramer this morning discussing the adverse effects of new COVID cases on Humana's results, so not a source trying to make money by increasing the demand for vaccines. (And he doesn't own any stock in ANYTHING.)

The CVS site said they had the vaccines except Novavax, so just come on in. Neither the closest store nor the larger one in the next town had any and said to come back in a week or two. The web site lied. Now I know better and won't show up without an appointment.

Well, I had the first two Moderna and a couple of boosters, the last about a year ago. No major health issues. I should be good.

Novavax

Thoughts on getting the Novavax booster 6 months after my 6th MRNA shots??
Had 5 Pfizer and my last early October Moderna. Then 2 weeks later Novavax was approved. They say after 2 months you could be vaccinated with a Novavax booster. I was figuring next spring getting the Novavax . Thoughts? What have anyones doctors thought?

Thoughts on getting the Novavax booster 6 months after my 6th MRNA shots??
Had 5 Pfizer and my last early October Moderna. Then 2 weeks later Novavax was approved. They say after 2 months you could be vaccinated with a Novavax booster. I was figuring next spring getting the Novavax . Thoughts? What have anyones doctors thought?

From what I understand you can mix and match shots at this point. I've heard speculation that the protection might be a little better if you mix vaccine types. Since I believe in diversification, getting one of the non-MRNA shot seems like a good idea to me. However, I know of no study that proves this.

From what I understand you can mix and match shots at this point. I've heard speculation that the protection might be a little better if you mix vaccine types. Since I believe in diversification, getting one of the non-MRNA shot seems like a good idea to me. However, I know of no study that proves this.

My wife and I were part of a mixed vaccine trial back in 2021, and when the records were unblinded we had received a Novavax vaccine along with Astra Zeneca and Pfizer. We have since had Moderna as well.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-06-2...generate-robust-immune-response-against-covid

Back
Top Bottom