How Do You Get Live TV?

Just ordered the latest Tablo (4th Generation) OTA DVR for $75 from Tablo.

I was just looking at Tablo today. Please report back how you like it.

I got the Tablo all set up today.

...Overall I like the device and think it will serve my needs.

I purchased the 4th Gen Tablo a couple of weeks ago and have been very disappointed. It is highly unstable in that it shuts down randomly, usually after I've been watching something for 10-15 minutes. It also shuts down while using the guide to find future programs I want to record.

Based on more than 150 posts about the problem on the Tablo Community discussion group dating back to November, this appears to be a frequent problem affecting some (not all) Roku devices. The issue doesn't exist with other streaming devices, only Roku. And there doesn't appear to be any particular Roku model or software version involved.

It doesn't look like the folks at Tablo have determined the root cause of the problem, so I'm sending it back.

We have YouTubeTV....and the login is shared by 4 family members in different states......It comes out to around twenty bucks a month per family member. Only 3 can watch at the same time but it is rarely a problem.

I purchased the 4th Gen Tablo a couple of weeks ago and have been very disappointed. It is highly unstable in that it shuts down randomly, usually after I've been watching something for 10-15 minutes. It also shuts down while using the guide to find future programs I want to record.

Based on more than 150 posts about the problem on the Tablo Community discussion group dating back to November, this appears to be a frequent problem affecting some (not all) Roku devices. The issue doesn't exist with other streaming devices, only Roku. And there doesn't appear to be any particular Roku model or software version involved.

It doesn't look like the folks at Tablo have determined the root cause of the problem, so I'm sending it back.

After all my back and forth on it I ended up sending it back. I might get a couple of good days out of it then more problems.

I bought a Homeworx HW-150PVR-Y22 to record OTA programs. It's pretty basic(think old DVR) but is good enough for me. The guide sucks as it only goes out a day at most. In addition I plan to use a couple of streaming channels like Peacock and Hulu. I like Peacock as it has some sports including golf. And Sling now offers free channels(internet ones) with 10 hours of recording time. Not much recording time but enough to record 3 or 4 movies. As I've mentioned before I'll probably subscribed to Sling pay channels in the Fall for football coverage.

And Sling now offers free channels(internet ones) with 10 hours of recording time. Not much recording time but enough to record 3 or 4 movies.
I logged into Sling, and when I click on DVR, it says it's not available for FreeStream. It appears this is currently only being rolled out for new sign-ups to start with. And I had already trialed Sling in the past with my account.

I logged into Sling, and when I click on DVR, it says it's not available for FreeStream. It appears this is currently only being rolled out for new sign-ups to start with. And I had already trialed Sling in the past with my account.

Ahh. Bummer. You might have luck if you try subscribing with a different email address. This works lots of times when signing up for deals with other streaming services.

Ahh. Bummer. You might have luck if you try subscribing with a different email address. This works lots of times when signing up for deals with other streaming services.
Yeah, I thought about that. I have so much stuff to watch as it is that I'll probably hold off on bothering with it for a while.

For over the air, I'm still using a home theater PC running old SageTV software with two Hauppauge ATSC tuner cards. I'm not using a program guide but mostly record the same programs that run on a timed schedule, and I just use TitanTV website to view what's scheduled for anything additional I want to add, such as NFL football games.

We have YouTubeTV....and the login is shared by 4 family members in different states......It comes out to around twenty bucks a month per family member. Only 3 can watch at the same time but it is rarely a problem.

Do you have to sign them in from 'home' periodically?

That has not been my experience. Youtube very aggressively shut down any attempt to share with my son's who live in different states. If they come home for a visit, they can usually watch for a 3 month period but then they are shut down.

I can't remember the last time I watched live TV, but it was probably around twelve years ago. I ditched the TV about that time.

Anything I watch now is streamed.

I can't remember the last time I watched live TV, but it was probably around twelve years ago. I ditched the TV about that time.

Anything I watch now is streamed.
There's Live TV streaming options also. They aren't mutually exclusive.

After all my back and forth on it I ended up sending it back. I might get a couple of good days out of it then more problems.

I bought a Homeworx HW-150PVR-Y22 to record OTA programs. It's pretty basic(think old DVR) but is good enough for me. The guide sucks as it only goes out a day at most. In addition I plan to use a couple of streaming channels like Peacock and Hulu. I like Peacock as it has some sports including golf. And Sling now offers free channels(internet ones) with 10 hours of recording time. Not much recording time but enough to record 3 or 4 movies. As I've mentioned before I'll probably subscribed to Sling pay channels in the Fall for football coverage.

The best option for those who want a DVR for OTA is to go over to eBay & buy a Tivo Roamio (base model) or Tivo Roamio OTA w/ lifetime service already on either.

Don't even try to use their antiquated, built-in streaming apps, just use it as a DVR.

Last edited:
Have not watched TV in many years, though still have a very long range Yagi antenna with a pre-amp. right under it, on the roof I put up around 15 years ago, should take it down. It was pot up to receive a TV station from 65 miles away that late DW insisted on.

Have not watched TV in many years, though still have a very long range Yagi antenna with a pre-amp. right under it, on the roof I put up around 15 years ago, should take it down. It was pot up to receive a TV station from 65 miles away that late DW insisted on.
Do you mean you haven't watched "Live TV" specifically, or do you mean you haven't watched any streaming like Netflix and Youtube either? It's hard to imagine. The Super Bowl is in two Sundays.

Not too hard for me to imagine. With very rare exception, I have not watched TV since 1977. And that includes broadcast, cable and/or streaming. I stopped cold turkey when I joined the Navy at 18 and just never got back into it.

We do have a TV in the house and the young wife watches Netflix, Prime and PBS streaming (we haven't had cable for a few years), but I don't join her for that.

Out of the many people I know in person, there are surely some people I know that never or rarely watch TV (including streaming and other online video sources), but I just don't know which ones. I don't recall hearing that about anyone who I know in person.

Last edited:
Indoor antenna hooked up to a very old TIVO Roamio DVR. Works great. Right now I am watching Van der Valk which I recorded months ago.

Great picture by the way. Noticeably better than the video quality that my neighbors get from the cable monster.

I second the idea of not using the TiVo apps for Netflix, Prime, etc. with a Roamio. They are slow and cranky. Get a fire stick or Roku type device for streaming. I don’t think they’ve been updated for years, though I could be wrong.

Do you mean you haven't watched "Live TV" specifically, or do you mean you haven't watched any streaming like Netflix and Youtube either? It's hard to imagine. The Super Bowl is in two Sundays.
I do not watch any TV, what is netflix? No yutube programs either. Do watch swing dance, tango, balboa, blues dances on ytube. As well as some lessons. Since I have zero interest in American version of football (how can a game be called football when the oblong gizmo is only on rare special occasions kicked with foot?:facepalm:), baseball or basketball. I know nothing about superbowl. Sometimes I look at Judo, Jujitsu, Sumo or amateur wrestling or gymnastics or figure skating, never watch hockey. Once in a great while do watch real football where the ball is actually maneuvered with feet:cool:. Only the goalie is allowed to use hands.

Last edited:
I do not watch any TV, what is netflix? No yutube programs either. Do watch swing dance, tango, balboa, blues dances on ytube. As well as some lessons. Since I have zero interest in American version of football (how can a game be called football when the oblong gizmo is only on rare special occasions kicked with foot?:facepalm:), baseball or basketball. I know nothing about superbowl. Sometimes I look at Judo, Jujitsu, Sumo or amateur wrestling or gymnastics or figure skating, never watch hockey. Once in a great while do watch real football where the ball is actually maneuvered with feet:cool:. Only the goalie is allowed to use hands.
OK, I was just just wondering what all you included in "TV".

Netflix is a streaming service with movies and series. I don't have that or any paid streaming services.

The football name comes from historical naming in the early development of the sport, and then it stuck.

Well, that dancing is better for you than watching TV, anyway.

Out of the many people I know in person, there are surely some people I know that never or rarely watch TV (including streaming and other online video sources), but I just don't know which ones. I don't recall hearing that about anyone who I know in person.
It's pretty rare, and probably lower today than this info below from 2008. Reportedly today about half of Americans between 22 and 45 "are watching absolutely no content on traditional TV platforms, according to a new study by Omnicom Media Group agency Hearts & Science."
Live Science said:
For many Americans the thought of life without TV is akin to forgoing food, shelter or, God forbid, the Internet. But about 1 to 2 percent of Americans do abstain from the boob tube, and they might seem like strange bedfellows.

Some give it up to avoid exposing their families to the excessive sex, violence, and consumerism they feel are promoted onscreen. Others object to the medium itself, claiming television intrudes too much into their lives, interferes with conversation and takes time away from the family. Finally, some people have a beef with the power and values of the television industry and don't want its influence in their homes.

I have directv with 4 receivers. I have a smaller package mid Jan-late Aug, a big package late Aug-late Nov and a medium package late Nov-mid Jan. I have had 1 bill over $81 the last 7 months. Att internet is included. During the fall I watch 7 CFB games at once(5 on dtv 2 streaming) every Sat Noon-2:30AM.

In Dec dtv sent me an lcc with an indoor antenna for free and now I get all these local sub channels with shows from the 70s and 80s that I adore so I am in hog heaven with that. I grew up without a tv in the 70s and early 80s so there are a lot of episodes I havent seen.

Also dtv has max available for free for 2 months alot to customers so I take advantage of that, and they give you free movie channels at times, right now I have cinemax and mgm+ free for 3 months. Paramount+ with showtime has free coupons you can find on the internet all the time so I watch that some.

I have never paid for a streaming service other than the Big 10 wrestling tournament every year on 1 weekend.

In the football offseason if there is a sporting event I want to watch that I dont get on my smaller dtv package I have used my aunts dish login for 10 years. There are also free streaming sites out there for just about any sporting event on live tv.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom