Luggage

SecondAttempt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Maybe this is more of a rant but I'm looking for constructive information.

I've mostly always bought cheap luggage that I replaced every few years - think $40 for a carryon size that might last 5 years.

The bag I currently use is about 5 years old and showing its wear. It was cheap.

But in shopping for a replacement it is becoming very hard to find a 2-wheel bag. Spinners are fin inside the airport but I have found they are horrible to use on cobblestones or other non-paved surfaces. My partner uses a spinner and it was terrible in Europe last summer.

Looking on Amazon, every 2-wheel bag I find says it has a high return rate which concerns me.

Any suggestions? I'd be willing to spend up to about $250 for a decent 2-wheel bag that I like but they seem to not exist any more. You either pay $50 for crap or $500+ for a brand name.

Travelpro Maxlite 5 Rollaboard. I bought the domestic-sized carry-on for our Europe trip last fall and paid around $150. It is super lightweight (5.4 lbs) but holds 52L of items. I checked it on a few short haul flights where the luggage guys aren't careful, and it held up really well. The international-sized carry-on weighs the same and holds 45L. Lightweight is important to me because I wanted to be as luggage-independent as possible and not have to rely on my husband to schlepp my bag around along with his.

I also own older versions of Eagle Creek's Tarmac 2-wheeler, both international- and domestic-sized carry-ons. They are a lot heavier and don't hold nearly as much as the Travelpro, although they're great quality and still look brand new after lots of traveling. But, Eagle Creek luggage seems to have increased substantially in price since I bought mine and would probably set you back $350-400 currently to get something equivalent.

My carry-on luggage stable also includes a Samsonite spinner, which is also very lightweight but is really looking its age. I know you don't want a spinner, but I included that info so that you know that I really am kind of an expert on this subject! :)

I bought a Tumi hoping I would never need to buy another piece of luggage ever again :)

My brother is an airline pilot. When he was first getting started into his first job as a pilot, I bought him a set of the same luggage that I see almost every flight crew member pulling around the airport, and I confirmed what I suspected with some other pilots I know. It's heavier and more expensive than what you see most other people with ... But it's durable. Very durable. And yes, part of that involves 2 inline wheels. Years later, he's still flying with those same 2 bags today.

LuggageWorks. They've expanded their options over the years, but they still make very good quality, durable luggage. If you want to buy one set of suitcases to last you a decade or two ... This stuff is it. With as much as I have been & will continue to be traveling, I'm strongly considering getting a set from them for myself as well.

As you're shopping for a suitcase, keep in mind the most common ways for a suitcase to get damaged/destroyed. Wheels broken off, pull rod bent, handle breaks, fabric torn/cut/ripped, hard case dented/cracked/crushed, zipper separates from the bag, zipper gets mangled/separated, zipper pull ripped off, ... There's probably more, but you get the point. Look for something that is designed to withstand many of those most common problems. Yes, that will be more costly. Yes, that may be heavier. No, you won't regret it.

Last edited:
I have an AA roller carry on that was given to me by my sister 25+ years ago. It's been reliable and taken on almost every flight I've made in that time. I keep expecting the wheels to fall off (I walk several miles every trip doing laps at the origin and connecting airports dragging that carry on behind me and it has a few hundred rolling miles on it by now). My checked luggage is at the cheap end of the middle but I use it rarely and try to stick with carry-on.

If if fails, I'll seek out a durable one. Personally, I'm getting sick of the cheapening of so many online knock off products that don't last. -Nice for many one time things but having my luggage fail on a trip would have me cursing being cheap.

Look at Briggs & Riley bags.

Expensive, but a lifetime guarantee. I've been using mine for eight years and countless trips, and it's still in great condition.

Brau, 700.00 for carry on! No I can buy lots of luggage every 6 years @60.00 from Marshall’s or Ross…

A nice reliable suitcase that is going to arrive in one piece, time after time, after time, is a good investment. And less waste/garbage year over year vs. the cheap stuff.

I have several tumi's for years now. I like the spinner wheels that feel effortless on hard floors.

We each have an Eagle Creek international size carry on roller. Soft side.

Both are 13 years old. Constant travel. Light weight-we only travel with carry on. Some regional airlines have a 7 or 8 KG limit. They still look like new...but we have never checked either of them.

When buying we looked primarily for good in line rollers (that could be replaced if necessary) and a good zipper. Name brand is somewhat meaningless to us. Saw lots of bags that said light weight on the tag...but they were not when we weighed them.

Spinners are great in the airport, hotels etc but no so good elsewhere-especially on cobblestones or uneven pavement. It was the owner of shop that did luggage repair for several airlines that recommended the product to us even though he did not sell luggage.

He also told us to beware of the 50/60 percent off products and the outlet store product. They are made specifically for and to that market/pricepoint. Often look similar but are usually lower quality wheels, zippers, etc. despite the brand name.

Last edited:
I consider TravelPro in the sweet spot of very good quality at a reasonable price.

If you google what luggage flight attendants use, you will see plenty of references to TravelPro.

I consider TravelPro in the sweet spot of very good quality at a reasonable price.

If you google what luggage flight attendants use, you will see plenty of references to TravelPro.

The challenge is that you sometimes cannot tell by the brand.

We have a TravelPro that I purchased at a dept. store sale. We do not use it any more because it is check size vs carry on.

It is most definitely NOT the same quality as those used by the flight crews. Nothing wrong with it other than it is not the same product quality.

I bought a set of Samsonite hard-sided luggage last year and am very happy with it. Yes, they are spinners. But the wheels rotate 360-degrees, so they work just like a 2-wheel suitcase when you pull it behind you on 2 wheels. I love spin mode on surfaces that permit it. But, as mentioned, you do need 2-wheel mode on uneven surfaces.

In my pre-FIRE existence I was a road warrior. On one long, international business trip, a wheel came off on a cheapie right in the middle of the airport and I happened to be standing directly in front of a Tumi store. Normally, I would never pay that much for luggage, but I was desperate - the dead-wheeled wreck was unusable and immobile. So, I bit the bullet and sprung for a new Tumi 4-wheeled carry-on (in an inflated European currency no less). That was at least 15 years ago, operating flawlessly through harsh abuse. And that piece is still going strong. Needless to say, I'm a fan.

P.S. The Tumi 4-wheel spinner operates just as effectively on the 2 rear wheels at times when it makes more sense to do so (such as across cobblestone).

P.S. #2: For checked luggage I use something less expensive mainly as don't want it to attract unwanted criminal attention.

Last edited:
On another recent luggage thread, audreyh1 posted a link to mypilotstore.com where Travelpro Flight Crew 2 wheel luggage, 21" and 24", are currently listed at $179 and $205 respectively. This is an aviation/flight crew store so do not know if these are available to the general public. I had just purchased Travelpro Platinum Elite luggage before she posted and paid in the low to mid $300 range based on 20% discount. The luggage was about $20 to 30 less on Amazon but I wanted to make sure I got the Travelpro warranty.

Maybe this is more of a rant but I'm looking for constructive information.

I've mostly always bought cheap luggage that I replaced every few years - think $40 for a carryon size that might last 5 years.

The bag I currently use is about 5 years old and showing its wear. It was cheap.

But in shopping for a replacement it is becoming very hard to find a 2-wheel bag. Spinners are fin inside the airport but I have found they are horrible to use on cobblestones or other non-paved surfaces. My partner uses a spinner and it was terrible in Europe last summer.

Looking on Amazon, every 2-wheel bag I find says it has a high return rate which concerns me.

Any suggestions? I'd be willing to spend up to about $250 for a decent 2-wheel bag that I like but they seem to not exist any more. You either pay $50 for crap or $500+ for a brand name.

What causes the spinner to be terrible on cobblestone compared to a 2 wheeler? Does it somehow act differently when you drag it, 2-wheel style?

I would expect them to act similarly, but perhaps I just do not know.

As far as luggage we like Travelpro. But honestly our "cheap" luggage has lasted a couple of decades. But the Travelpro is lighter.

Travelpro looks quality. We recently bought a couple of just slightly too large to carry on bags that were limited to two wheels. Mainly we were going for close dimensions but not as wide as our recently used Europe checked bags. We had to buy from an online crew store.

Yeah my experience with spinners is that they’re squirrelly. Trouble with wanting to tip, not going straight (trying to turn), so lots of two-wheel pulling anyway in addition to cobblestones and thick carpets. So I’m going back to trying the more compact two wheels for a while.

On another recent luggage thread, audreyh1 posted a link to mypilotstore.com where Travelpro Flight Crew 2 wheel luggage, 21" and 24", are currently listed at $179 and $205 respectively. This is an aviation/flight crew store so do not know if these are available to the general public. I had just purchased Travelpro Platinum Elite luggage before she posted and paid in the low to mid $300 range based on 20% discount. The luggage was about $20 to 30 less on Amazon but I wanted to make sure I got the Travelpro warranty.
Yeah, we ordered from them last month and got the 2 24” bags. They look great. Black so we’ll have to decorate them. Yes they sell to the general public. It’s just that these particular models are marketed to airline crews instead of the general public. They don’t meet carryon sizing, but that’s not an issue for the crew.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for all the help, I think! The bags I like on Amazon are almost all Travelpro and almost all have a high return rate warning. I trust you folks more than random Amazon buyers so maybe I'll give them a chance.

What causes the spinner to be terrible on cobblestone compared to a 2 wheeler? Does it somehow act differently when you drag it, 2-wheel style?

I would expect them to act similarly, but perhaps I just do not know.

As far as luggage we like Travelpro. But honestly our "cheap" luggage has lasted a couple of decades. But the Travelpro is lighter.

The bag bounced around a lot more and the wheels got hung up a LOT more than my two-wheeled bag. I also worry that with all the pounding the wheels might break. It has not happened yet but is a concern.

We have some nice Briggs & Riley bags we bought at a thrift store. One bag needed an inside strap reattached and the lifetime guarantee covered the repair at no cost to us.

I have found other quality luggage like Tumi at thrift stores so that is where I would look first.

Well, thanks for all the help, I think! The bags I like on Amazon are almost all Travelpro and almost all have a high return rate warning. I trust you folks more than random Amazon buyers so maybe I'll give them a chance.

Unless it's being sold by the Brand, I would probably avoid buying them on amazon, if they have a high return rate. Chances are good you'll get one of those returns when you order yourself.

There are several online shops besides Amazon selling Travelpro luggage.

I just use a soft carry on bag with a shoulder strap, there's no need to worry about wheels breaking. Plus you can walk faster without having to drag something behind you.

Unless it's being sold by the Brand, I would probably avoid buying them on amazon, if they have a high return rate. Chances are good you'll get one of those returns when you order yourself.

Our experience is that buying by popular brand can sometimes be meaningless. Some of the large luggage brands make product specifically for the discount chains, the 60-70 percent off department store sales, and the factory outlet stores.

When shopping for luggage we have seen big differences between and within brands on product that appeared identical. Only it was not. Different zippers, wheels, construction, etc.

Spend some time understanding what you want or need, and some time shopping to see the differences between products.

One of my best ever carry on bags was a Kirkland Costco brand. It served me for frequent business travel for many years. Have not used it since retiring 13 years ago. It is still like new but it is too heavy and it does not meet international carry dimension requirements.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom