anyone pick up golf after avoiding it for years?

I've golfed for years but have never been very good at it. I always play with DW and she's much better having been a 12 handicap in earlier years.

We only golf when we can walk so, we at least get some exercise. Never was a fan of motorized carts.

When first REd, I tagged along on one of DWs sales meetings. It was at The Greenbrier in West Virginia which I guess you golfers would know about. She signed me up for a golf lesson with their #1 golf pro.

I was not doing well and he was getting frustrated with me...he was used to working with already good players.
After about a half hour I said " how much more time do we have here?"
He said "about 20 more minutes "
I said " tell you what, here's $20, why don't we call it a day right now "
" yes sir "
I went back to the bar.

You made out pretty good for $20 unless that was just a tip. Strange attitude from their #1 teacher, his job is to teach people at all levels, I would imagine he charges close to $200 per lesson.

One thing to note is that taking lessons is highly recommended if you want to improve your game. I take a bunch of lessons each year, and last year I also included a 3-day golf school at Aviara (I really did not like lessons taught at this place and didn't take away anything from it). We are here in Palm Desert for a month and taking a few lessons from our favorite instructor again, which we do every year. My goal is to get from 23 to 20 by end of this year, with the ultimate goal of about 18.

Last edited:
You made out pretty good for $20 unless that was just a tip. Strange attitude from their #1 teacher, his job is to teach people at all levels, I would imagine he charges close to $200 per lesson.

The lesson was $350 IIRC. When I first met him he asked what golf experience I had. I said "none". I also showed up in Docksiders. There was a pause and then he said "ok, let's see what we can do ". Found out later that he was often coaching PGA types.

Never have played golf. Don't intend to start either. It's not that I have anything against golf, I just have too many other things that I would rather spend time on. Primarily my old cars hobby, that takes enough time and money. I do think the social aspect of golf is a great way for retirees to meet friends and have fun, just play and enjoy the game without getting too frustrated.

Funny thing is my snowbird place has golf in the community and it would be real easy. Several friends here golf. I'm resisting their asking me to play.

I started playing golf in college. Many years later I took a 3-day golf school where we mostly got balls on the range most of the day for 3 straight days. They started with grip, stance, swing and watched us and gave is advice. It also included some video, time on the putting green and nine-holes on the course focusing on course management. Those 3-days make a quantum leap in the quality and consistency of my golf game.

It's a great game. Both challenging and also very social. I think you can tell a lot about someone's character from their behavior on the golf course.

PS: Commander in Cheat is an interesting read for avid golfers.

Last edited:
IIRC they once asked Oppenheimer if he played golf. He replied "when I loose my physical faculties, I'll play golf". Then they asked about Miniature golf. "I'll play Miniature golf when I loose my mental faculties "

I played golf for a few year from age 22- 27 then life and career got in the way- plus I found out I was way better at fly fishing and spent my off days on the water. I did enjoy golf, being outdoors, talking with friends, etc..
Fast forward: We just retired at age 59/60 and decided to take golf lessons. Started last November and have been swinging in the garage for the winter months. She had never swung a club and is making great progress. Hopefully we will be ready to actually play a a game this spring or summer. My parents did the same thing - took lessons at a ge 60 - 62 and Dad is still playing at age 89 , Mom stopped last year due to some arthritis issues.

We figure it's a great way to meet people and get some time outdoors.

exactly my plan. Hope I can follow your dads example

I was never into golf,but one of my younger brothers lived eat and drunk golf from an early age. He called me once to go with him for a round. I went and was horrible at it, but he was pretty good. I tried it a few more times later in life when one of our neighbors invited me. Nope still no thrill for me. Fast forward a few years and several of my managers in my district would meet to golf and socialize. Mostly they were drinking their scocial life between holes. I didn't drink so it didn't work for me then either. I could never find anything that thrilled me about hitting a little dimpled white ball across the cow pasture then chasing it down to hit it again, so I'm still not a golfer.

The first time I golfed at age 21, I had a bad experience due to the place I golfed not being, shall I say "minority friendly". For example, being told "we don't have any left handed clubs", which, when a friend followed up, turned out to be a lie. So trying to play with right handed clubs, with (on a uncrowded day) a marshall following our group and shouting comments like "if he doesn't know how to play, he shouldn't be on the course!" when folks in my group were showing me things was not a good introduction to the game, and I avoided it for almost 30 years.

I touched clubs again when we went to a resort to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and it had a driving range. They were surprised that I did not think they had left handed clubs. Suddenly I was actually hitting the ball well. A few months later, DW and I took another vacation to a state park lodge that had a golf course. Though we only intended to use the driving range, the staff there encouraged us to play a round, even charging us only $10, including rental clubs, since we had never played before. We were horrible - but we knew enough to left folks play through. afterwards, at the lodge, several couples came up to thank us for letting them play through, and even though we were newbies one invited us to go out with them the next day. That changed my perspective on golf, and I have enjoyed playing and getting better at it since, which is a good thing :).

I’ve been following this thread and decided to chime in. I’m turning 70 next month and have been playing golf since my 30’s. It’s a great sport which can be enjoyed by people of much different athletic abilities. There’s a lot of people with very little ability who still enjoy the game to be outside, often with friends, getting exercise. And there’s people on the other end of the spectrum like me, who are completely hooked, have swing coaches, watch golf videos and events, and are always trying to get better. That is one of the allures of the game, you will never master it but you can always try to improve. But that also can provide a lot of frustration, because improvement usually takes work and time at the driving range. Many (most) people would rather be doing something else.

Another poster mentioned that better golfers don’t care so much about your ability as long as you don’t slow down the pace of play, and that is spot on. I’m a 6.8 handicap, but mostly play with friends in the 15 to 20 range. I’m not competing with them and they aren’t competing with me, we are all just playing to the best of our abilities and having fun. I live in the SF Bay Area with a lot of walkable courses, and playing twice a week in good weather I’m getting in 12 - 15 miles a week. Can’t wait for the winter rains to stop to start the season!

A difference in enjoying golf or not has alot to do with how well you play. When I first started out, I could not get the ball off the ground, and I hated golf. I hated that my husband "made" me play. But with perserverance and lots of lessons, I now love golf. The feeling and aesthetic of a good hit is gratifying. We went on a Christmas cruise in 2022 and after 3 days I was miserable that I wasn't out there golfing. No more cruise for us. We had been cruising two to three times a year before COVID but since I got hooked on golf, I cannot go on a cruise again.

I played a lot from younger days to around late 30s, then took a job that required lots of travel and put the clubs away. About 5 years before FIRE, I was talked into getting back into it. I did it mainly for the social aspect and took a few years before I could quit calling myself a hack. When I retired, I gave myself a present and went to a highly respected fitter for my first set of custom fitted Callaway clubs. It cost quite a bit, but amazed how much better the technology is over my previous 15yo inexpensive clubs. I no longer carry 2, 3, or 4 irons and have 4 different wedges to choose from. I play twice a week when weather permits and happy to say I'm now finally shooting in mid-to-high 90s consistently. Also have made so many new friends out on the course. DW doesn't wish to learn, but she's happy I'm enjoying it, although she probably just likes to get me out of the house for twice a week!

The first time I golfed at age 21, I had a bad experience due to the place I golfed not being, shall I say "minority friendly". For example, being told "we don't have any left handed clubs", which, when a friend followed up, turned out to be a lie. So trying to play with right handed clubs, with (on a uncrowded day) a marshall following our group and shouting comments like "if he doesn't know how to play, he shouldn't be on the course!" when folks in my group were showing me things was not a good introduction to the game, and I avoided it for almost 30 years.

I touched clubs again when we went to a resort to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and it had a driving range. They were surprised that I did not think they had left handed clubs. Suddenly I was actually hitting the ball well. A few months later, DW and I took another vacation to a state park lodge that had a golf course. Though we only intended to use the driving range, the staff there encouraged us to play a round, even charging us only $10, including rental clubs, since we had never played before. We were horrible - but we knew enough to left folks play through. afterwards, at the lodge, several couples came up to thank us for letting them play through, and even though we were newbies one invited us to go out with them the next day. That changed my perspective on golf, and I have enjoyed playing and getting better at it since, which is a good thing :).

Good outcome. Glad you stayed with it. Ive noticed about a third of our member golfers are lefties. Also noticed people are super helpful and encouraging getting you going. DW and I have dear friends who moved to Palm Desert and just shared that they are now playing golf. I was surprised because they were so against the golf and club scene and are not athletic at all. They gave me hope! My goal now is to visit and play a round with them. My first goal was to play with my kids and that has now successfully been accomplished.

Always mean to learn while working as I kept getting invited to play by associates. Never found the time. In retirement a nearby resort with their own course started offering 2x weekly classes for gym and facilities members. It was great as we were not about to invest a fortune on lessons

Got good enough we could go out on the course although walking and no carts it still takes time. Anyway stopped going due to pandemic, other travel, focus on gym and Pilates for health and thinking to go back to it.

Plan is to focus next 6 months on gym and physical issues such as losing the last 15 lbs (Down 40 already) and then go back and try golf again

I’ve golfed for years - decades. Never any good. Most of that time 120 for 18 was common. Now I get closer to 100 but find it hard to consistently break 100. The main thing I learned early on is that good golfers don’t care how well you golf, they care about pace of play. Keep a ball or two in your pocket and keep moving. There’s even been time when I just had a terrible round and have just picked up my ball for a hole or two. They don’t care. They just don’t want you holding them up.

I’m thinking about some golf tec lessons this year. I really need a straight drive that will carry about 150 yards. The rest of my game isn’t too bad, but if I don’t hit the fairway off the tee, my score shoots up quickly. Bogey golf is 90. I’d take that all day.

Exactly. Pace of play is important. I can be a scratch golfer for 9 holes, but don't seem to ever be scratch for 18. And I don't really care.

I played golf for 30 years starting in college...then my wife divorced me after 25 years, and took my clubs as part of the settlement. (Pure revenge, I'd say.) Now, 12 years later, my girlfriend of 7 years, who also plays golf, wants to get married. I'm not so sure I can go through that pain again of losing the clubs....:)

I picked up golf again after many years being idle because of business travel. I took lessons and bought up to date clubs and have now become the golf fanatic that I used to be. Senior golf is great, loss of distance compensated by forward tees. One piece of advice: take lessons.

I played golf for 30 years starting in college...then my wife divorced me after 25 years, and took my clubs as part of the settlement. (Pure revenge, I'd say.) Now, 12 years later, my girlfriend of 7 years, who also plays golf, wants to get married. I'm not so sure I can go through that pain again of losing the clubs....:)

I feel your pain brother. My ex took my fishing gear out of spite, after wiping out my life savings. Golf was my escape and sanctuary during an incredibly stressful time. I had been wanting some new irons for a long time, and at one point I told myself that I may be broke, but I’m going to be broke with a new set of Tommy Armour 845’s. Great decision, things eventually turned around and I recovered.

I completely avoided golf until I was in my late 30's. Then a friend convinced me to start playing. I hacked my way around the course shooting 110 - 120, rarely breaking 100.

Finally at 50 I decided I needed to get better or stop playing because shooting 120 isn't really that much fun. I took a few lessons and started shooting in the 90's regularly. Then about 5 years ago I took another block of 6 lessons and now break 90 most days and shoot in the low 80's on a good day.

I feel your pain brother. My ex took my fishing gear out of spite, after wiping out my life savings. Golf was my escape and sanctuary during an incredibly stressful time. I had been wanting some new irons for a long time, and at one point I told myself that I may be broke, but I’m going to be broke with a new set of Tommy Armour 845’s. Great decision, things eventually turned around and I recovered.

guess I need to list my clubs in the prenup!!

Retired to learn to play golf

I played a few times with cheap clubs when I was in college. Then life, marriage, kids, work all hit. But when I retired we. moved to a golf community that like Frankin's also has seven courses. My wife and I started playing at an index of 30 for her and 23 for me. We've been retired now for 15 years and play 4 times a week. Twice with our own friend groups and twice together. Often we play in club events on the weekends. We've taken lesson's from the same teacher (probably close to 100 each over the years) often just for a tune up. But our games have steadily gotten better. She has 3 hole in ones and I have one. She's the club senior champion and we won this year's couples classic top flight. Both our indexes are around 12 (I was a single digit for a short time last year). We both have a number of rounds in the 70's. I'm trying to shoot in the 70's at all seven of our courses. We've made a ton of friends and spent a lot of enjoyable time playing all over the. world. It's a great sport and enjoyable hobby. If you work at it (and take lessons) you'll get better but it takes lots of time.

Played a little golf in my early teens, never seriously and then picked it up in my late twenties after a couple of years in the Army, some college, starting a family and career, etc. Started playing in a golf league after work and became enamored with all aspects of the game. At 73 still playing twice a week and actually shoot in the 70s sometimes and have had two career witnessed holes in one. It's a great game physically, mentally and for the social aspects as well. I'd hate to think how much money I've spent but will add, it has all been worth it and in many intangible ways. That said, the best dollar you can spend getting back into the game is on lessons from a knowledgable instructor and then playing with folks that are better than yourself. But the main point of the game is to have fun.

Thanks to golf, I'm on a first name basis with my dermatologist. To be fair, 4 years of owning a sailboat didn't help either.

Back
Top Bottom