Blow that Dough 2024

It will take less time to count my money now!! Lol

Last edited:
We’
We're a week away and cringing... We did rent a room in someone's house in Lauterbrunnen, so we can spend more on the rest of the trip. ?
That’s one way to keep costs down. :)

We opted for a hotel in Lauterbrunnen and Airbnbs elsewhere. Cost-wise it comes out about the same.

Eating out is expensive. There are ways to make it less expensive, but we’re ok for the convenience and experience.

And then there’s the trains. Glad we opted for the half fare card. I wasn’t sure at first if it’d be cost effective, but we’ve used it a lot, with the biggest savings for Jungfrau. If you’re traveling by train, then I highly recommend installing the SBB Mobile app. It’s been great for checking out timetables and buying tickets along the way.

Have fun!

Nice truck....not the hybrid version I take it?
Thanks aja, no it isn't and one reason why I didn't get one is because I wanted all wheel drive and the towing package. They don't make them but in two-wheel drive.

That is pretty amazing you are getting 35 MPG on a non-hybrid version with AWD. I think that is a great looking truck.

That is pretty amazing you are getting 35 MPG on a non-hybrid version with AWD. I think that is a great looking truck.
It is vey good. If not familiar with them they have different modes to use in different conditions. I have only used ECO mode (4 cylinder) and 95% of my driving is Hwy miles.

The truck was ordered, and it is as plain as you can order and the only option, I got was the 4K towing.

Thanks

We’

That’s one way to keep costs down. :)

We opted for a hotel in Lauterbrunnen and Airbnbs elsewhere. Cost-wise it comes out about the same.

Eating out is expensive. There are ways to make it less expensive, but we’re ok for the convenience and experience.

And then there’s the trains. Glad we opted for the half fare card. I wasn’t sure at first if it’d be cost effective, but we’ve used it a lot, with the biggest savings for Jungfrau. If you’re traveling by train, then I highly recommend installing the SBB Mobile app. It’s been great for checking out timetables and buying tickets along the way.

Have fun!
We will have a car for 80% of the time. Germany, France, Switzerland and then drop the car in Salzburg. Last 4-5 days, local transport. We've driven other countries but for some reason I feel this trip may be more complex. We'll see.

Yeah HFC is definitely a must unless you don't plan to go anywhere. But even a few 3-4 hour train rides and the HFC almost pays for itself.

And ditto on the SBB app, it's the best setup, you can literally search a route in real time and make last minute decisions, choose where to go or what to see on spur of the moment. Really worked best in Interlaken where you could go on ferry, cable car or cog wheel train depending on which one was coming up next.

My backyard spigot had a drip, that would only stop if I used pliers to turn the knob more than hand tight. Replace it? Sure, a simple job. I took my pointer finger, called a plumber and voila it's been replaced with a new one. Happy to spend that $200!

Had one of those weeks where we needed to replace the fridge and decided to get a new Miele dishwasher while we were at it.
At the same time we firmed up our Florida plans for 2025.
$11,500 dollars latter..
Spanky.gif

Street, I thought about a Maverick. Those are really nice. I also thought about a Mazda Miata convertible, lol, and test drove one, which scratched that itch. I don’t have the knees for how low it is! On Monday, I said bye-bye to my beloved 2006 SAAB 9.3 and acquired a 2021 Volkswagen Tiguan SE. I do like how German cars handle.

What is a Tiguan, you ask? Evidently, it’s a German mashup up of Tiger and Iguana. Haha! What the…?
4B687157-5554-4A81-92B3-FA8DED6E1374.jpeg

Been buying all new clothes. I have lost a lot of weight since last June. I'm usually happy with a $7 Walmart t-shirt type of guy.

1 Patagonia Fleece Jacket
1 puffer jacket on sale 50% off
4 hiking shorts
4 short sleeve button up shirts
$1000 (all really nice)

7 Walmart t-shirts
$28

I also made many other clothing purchases this week:
undershirts
sweat pants
swim suits
swim shirts
hooded fleece jacket
soft shell jacket
6 t-shirts
$500

Hopefully, I'll be set for a few years. I think the coats will last 10+ years. I replace some 20+ year old items.

Been buying all new clothes. I have lost a lot of weight since last June. I'm usually happy with a $7 Walmart t-shirt type of guy.

1 Patagonia Fleece Jacket
1 puffer jacket on sale 50% off
4 hiking shorts
4 short sleeve button up shirts
$1000 (all really nice)

7 Walmart t-shirts
$28

I also made many other clothing purchases this week:
undershirts
sweat pants
swim suits
swim shirts
hooded fleece jacket
soft shell jacket
6 t-shirts
$500

Hopefully, I'll be set for a few years. I think the coats will last 10+ years. I replace some 20+ year old items.
Nice job! Keep up the good work!

BTD for May: DH and I are driving from South central PA to Metropark Amtrak/NJ Transit station, then taking NJ Transit into Manhattan. We'll spend two nights there, at a very expensive Hilton near Central Park. Going to a dinner theater at 54 Below on the 12th then on the 13th we'll be in the studio audience for Stephen Colbert. That's our 40th wedding anniversary. We return home on the 14th.

BTD trip in August: DW is a big Disney fan. Just booked a 12-day Disney excursion to China to see both parks and tour China.

Not a huge BTD but we're planning a short three day visit to see a relative in Chicago. Decided to BTD on a full three room suite at the Four Seasons..."Lake view".

First Class seats go without saying as we don't fly coach.

If we don’t spend it our heirs will and they're already going to get more than they need or deserve.

Last edited:
Street, I thought about a Maverick. Those are really nice. I also thought about a Mazda Miata convertible, lol, and test drove one, which scratched that itch. I don’t have the knees for how low it is! On Monday, I said bye-bye to my beloved 2006 SAAB 9.3 and acquired a 2021 Volkswagen Tiguan SE. I do like how German cars handle.

What is a Tiguan, you ask? Evidently, it’s a German mashup up of Tiger and Iguana. Haha! What the…?
View attachment 50975
We have a CPO 2019 SEL Premium without the 3rd row. DW likes it.

View attachment 50975
A beautiful car and choice!!! Congratulations!!!

Nice ammonite fossil and a 12" Waterford Mastercraft vase - $290 and $360. The vase was on Ebay. I would guess that it was originally something like $800 to $1200 new.

View attachment 50975
I love my 2009 Saab 9-3 wagon and am wondering what to replace it with when the time comes, so update us on how you get on with the Tiguan!

@trirod we purchased our '19 in '21, and have liked it so far. It is our first foray into all the driver assist tech.
It took some getting used to, and one extreme rain did disable a front sensor until a restart. It was extreme though.
It gets between 24 and 26 MPG pretty consitently. The back seats are very comfortable which I think is a must with a larger rig. I can sit back there for hours.
The panorama sunroof is nice in the mountains.
DW has rheumatoid arthritis and the heated wheel is very nice for that. She will remote start the car in the colder weather and the seat and wheel are warm in a couple of minutes.

Ford Maverick, AWD, 4K Towing. Been averaging 35 MPG.

[ATTACH type="full"]50893[/ATTACH]

That is what I wish I had ordered for the increased towing capacity, though I'll admit that the XLT Hybrid that I own rated to tow 2,000 lbs did a good job towing a chock-full 5x8 U-Haul cargo trailer from Florida to Texas recently. I got 24 mpg with the trailer on averaging 65 mph, vs 36 highway mpg without the trailer and 44 mpg around town.

That is what I wish I had ordered for the increased towing capacity, though I'll admit that the XLT Hybrid that I own rated to tow 2,000 lbs did a good job towing a chock-full 5x8 U-Haul cargo trailer from Florida to Texas recently. I got 24 mpg with the trailer on averaging 65 mph, vs 36 highway mpg without the trailer and 44 mpg around town.
Welcome to Texas! ?

Back
Top Bottom