In Your City - What Are The Most Desirable Neighborhoods and Why?

clobber

Recycles dryer sheets
In the not too distant future, I plan to purchase or build a home somewhere in the 50 States (no ties to anywhere). Obviously there are many factors that will go into the decision including cost, taxes, weather, etc. But - if I were to choose your city or one you are very familiar with, what are the most desirable neighborhoods and why? Is it the views, the amenities, the housing styles/architecture, proximity to activities, something else?

The most desirable for whom, what, and when?

When we moved here 20 years ago with our teens, we wanted land and reasonable proximity to both the metro center (25 minutes) and DW's office and main hospital (12 minutes to her parking spot in the middle of the night). That put us well away from the then and now areas that many deem most desirable (as shown by housing/land prices). In retirement, we still have our house and acreage, are less than 15 minutes from the airport, and roughly 30 minutes to any concert or restaurant in the metro center. We like it and are unwilling to make the compromises that would be necessitated by a move to a sexier part of the area.

But, we nonetheless plan to move sometime in the next ten years so as to get ahead of aging. There are limits to how long I can plan on being able to use chain saw, tractor, etc. to maintain the place, and how long will we want to drive back home late at night... At that point, we'll be looking primarily at proximity to things that we then want/have to do.

If you chose Anaheim, where we live, I'd have to say pick something in Anaheim Hills. Next to us is Villa Park and Yorba Linda which are also great. Those cities have good access to the airport, shopping and the beach. They have a lot of homes that sit in the hills with great views or quiet neighborhoods with quiet and privacy. There are great parks, wilderness areas, golf courses all nearby.

However, taxes and cost of everything, especially homes now is sky high.

The most desirable for whom, what, and when?

I'm not trying to make it complicated and am simply trying to generate ideas.

Whom: many people in your city
What: desirable neighborhood
When: Now
Why: That's what I'm asking

Things that make a neighborhood desirable for me:
Proximity to good shopping and dining
Lot of Parks and beaches
Well maintained homes
Decent lot size , no zero lot lines
Nice places to walk
Access to good close medical facilities (doesn't matter how good all the rest is if you're going to have to wait 30 mins for an EMT)

Interesting hypothetical.

I prefer to be closer in, versus exurbs .. in a walkable neighborhood. And based on real estate prices, I'm not alone in that.

This is for San Diego.

Most expensive stuff is ocean view. Think La Jolla and Coronado (latter of which is it's own city). Followed by other beach neighborhoods like Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Ocean Beach. The big money is in La Jolla, but due to topography can be challenging to get into/out of during rush hour.

We are looking to downsize at some point to PB or Hillcrest, mainly for the walk ability to restaurants, groceries, etc. We are currently "La Jolla adjacent", but the neighborhood is less than walkable.

Low/no crime
Low traffic - no through traffic
Few/no dogs barking
No trains/airports nearby
Nice area to walk & ride bike
Reasonably short drive to stores, etc.

Without more specific info on what aspects you're looking for, my personal issue is "safest" neighborhood. Once you have that, most of the other stuff takes care of itself (proximity to other stuff, etc.) So I found this particular article which is (in my opinion) spot on regarding Oahu living though YMMV.

If you want a city where you can pretty much live without a car, (meaning bus/bike/walk) nearly everywhere in the city, Pittsburgh is a great choice. (Total non-car convenience is not available everywhere in the city but there are a a choice of neighborhoods). You can select a part of town where there are an assortment of supermarkets, restaurants, big box stores, hospitals, doctors and more in walking distance (say a mile or less). People are friendly and easy to get to know. Ballet, symphony, concerts and professional sports short of b-ball. are available as are lots of other entertainment and events for adults and children. The airport bus is also convenient if you are willing to be a bit patient for the return trip since the benefit of a schedule is not provided for when you land. No more than 30 minutes wait though. And the ride home is free if you are old enough.

Downsides are few in terms of day to day living. Lots of traffic but you could work on reducing that if you want. And, I think the motorists are aggressive compared to the mid-west or Washington State. But, better than CT. Finally, pension & SS are not taxed at 65+ and bus passes are free. But don't die in PA. That will reduce your family inheritance more than other states.

After 55 years, we moved out of the big city (Houston) over 15 years ago. I'm not sure I'd call any area/neighborhood safe. Some are just worse than others but IMO, they are all bad. Moved to the open country 15 years ago when it was really "out there". It's getting crowded now since I can actually see a couple of my neighbors homes off in the distance. :2funny: In all the time we've lived here the only time we've had to call the cops is for loose livestock. No break-ins, no malicious mischief, etc.

There are a few tradeoffs living in the county but easy to deal with and more than well worth it. (IMO)

I'm not trying to make it complicated and am simply trying to generate ideas.

Whom: many people in your city
What: desirable neighborhood
When: Now
Why: That's what I'm asking
In Nashville, based on prices, news articles, and our work acquaintances/friends/clients, the merely "rich" find the Franklin/Brentwood areas attractive. Why? That's where the "rich" live (aka, successful lawyers, doctors, and business executives). And good schools, decent yards (1-2 acres?), and homogenous zoning. The edgy "rich" might choose city neighborhoods, as you have easy access to things and you either have no kids or go private (Edgehill, East Nashville, Germantown, 12th South, etc.).

Those truly wealthy with a need/desire to live in the City and Davidson county itself have options as well. Among others, Oak Hill (where the governor's mansion and John Prine's former estate are located) and Chickering lane--where the Frist family and other such have their mansions and several acres.

Then there is Leiper's Fork, where the entertainment and entrepreneurial elite have their horse farms....

Last edited:
Not many people think about the mid-west and specifically the desire to be in a northern climate doesn’t tend to appeal to many people. However, if you were inclined, Ann Arbor, MI is a fine place to live. Number one reason - University of Michigan and the associated hospital system. If you like walkable cities (and have a lot of money), you can live in a downtown setting. If you want property you can live on anything from a large neighborhood lot to a multi acre property. Along with great healthcare, there is also the cultural activities that come with a university not to mention sports. The airport is close and Detroit and the surrounding area has plenty of sports and entertainment options.

One other thing that Michigan has - fresh water. Lots of it and some fantastic towns on the water. Best example is the north western area around Traverse City. That would be the best place to live except that the winters are a bit tougher that far north and the healthcare is sub optimal.

If I had unlimited funds, I’d have my main house in the Ann Arbor area and a lake house on Lake Michigan near Traverse City for the summer. I’d spend about 4 months on the lake and the rest of the year in Ann Arbor.

I’m sure there are other nice places to live, but this is home and those are the sweet spots in MI in my opinion.

Too Many to list in NE Fla. However most are by the coast, South of Jacksonville, quite expensive and we do get Hurricanes. The weather is great most of the time and we get a nice break for about a month (cumulative) in late December, January and February. A good compromise from the oppressive heat and crowds of the SW.

Last edited:
We've lived in a rural area on the far southwest suburban fringe of Chicago for the past 40 years. We've looked at several places to move to in later retirement. At this point of my life, I don't see many cities that have amenities that appeal to me.

Amenities in our area are exactly the opposite of what city life offers. No traffic, no noise, sparsely populated, lots of open space/ recreation, large lots and homes in wooded settings and on lakes. Amenities that we've enjoyed for years and would find difficult to give up.

If we were to move to a city, we'd have to have affordable new maintenance free housing, decent weather, minimal traffic, with hiking and biking trails nearby.

DW and I have been in the same house on DC's Capitol Hill neighborhood for 42 years. It has a nice mix of families that have been here for many years and new and often transitory politicians and other government types. It is very walkable with restaurants, groceries, libraries, parks and cultural attractions within easy walking distances. The nearby Eastern Market is a weekend "destination" that livens up the neighborhood on Saturdays and Sundays. All of that is appealing if you like city life but a red flag for people who prefer rural or just less dense environments. Different strokes...

We live in the western suburbs of Philadelphia. Low crime, four seasons, beautiful countryside, 45 minutes from the airport. In two hours you can be in New York City, the Jersey Shore or Delaware beaches. Cost of living is reasonable and politics are not extreme either way. State taxes are 3.07% and retirement income is not taxed. Excellent schools and world class healthcare. DW is 20 years cancer free from ovarian and uterine cancers. Lot of parks including Valley Forge National Park. Philadelphia has great sports teams, theater, museums, and concerts. Weather here has no extremes, so both winter and summer are enjoyable. Plenty of water. SE Pennsylvania is an enjoyable place to live.

in our area, coastal South Orange County, California, home costs are driven by proximity to the ocean. Down to the 1/100th of a mile, quite literally. And desirability follows, as you might imagine.

I love it here, and can not imagine any circumstance that would take me further from the ocean than I am now, which is approx 1 & 1/4 mile. We are within easy reach of pretty much everything, and can walk to several restaurants, a small market, and of course, the ocean. We are also surrounded by hills and a good amount of designated Open Space, where hiking and mountain biking trails are plentiful, as are paved or designated road bicycle lanes in the flatter, more densely populated areas.

Took $2 million to get here in 2023, a 2700 sq foot home on a small lot, so if we ever change our minds we have plenty of options- go smaller and closer, or further away and bank some equity, but for now we're staying put.

We used Prop 19 to transfer our prior tax base, so we're not remotely close to 1% of purchase price, the normal property tax assessment at purchase.

There are more fun things to do in the area on any given day than we have energy. It's not what I'd call a quiet and peaceful location as compared to where land is still wide open, but man is it fun.

Last edited:
I live in southern NJ in a suburb of Philadelphia. We are an hour from the shore, 15-20 minutes from Philly, 90 minutes from NYC, close to two airports, plenty of shopping and dining, outdoor activities, and pretty much everything else you could want. High taxes but other than that we like it here.

Smaller city/town within 30-60 minutes of major airport, good medical choices and trauma hospital nearby, plenty of shopping choices for food/supplies.
Good police/fire and safe neighborhoods, good schools based on teacher ratios, variety of classes and test scores.
Walkability--nice parks, at least one grocery within walking distance.
Weather--moderate (in the NW so rain doesn't bother me, and not a fan of days on end hot sun)

I spent 5 years pre-retirement searching for the ideal place before realizing I was already where I wanted to be based on my criteria. We are in a small beach town in north Florida about 5 minutes drive to a military base that we can use with all the amenities including commissary, exchange, and medical facilities, and the largest and best equipped fitness center and olympic pool I have ever seen. Although we are next to a large city with all its conveniences my town and the other small towns next to it have multiple grocery stores, restaurants, hardware stores, and outdoor activities. The police dept and fire department are 3 blocks away. There are about 5 microbreweries within 2-6 miles from home. I can safely ride my bike in the neighborhoods or on the beach. The beach is 2 blocks from my house where I can enjoying a bike ride in the morning, a swim in the ocean, or surf fishing. Our house has been mortgage free for a couple of decades, my taxes are low and insurance is reasonable. It is a 10-15 minute drive to a large university and college where I can take classes for free.
They are going to have to carry me out once I reach my expiration date.

I think my neighborhood on the Connecticut coast is the best. I live in a small city of 50k people, which was founded in 1639, in the historic district directly on the harbor, where I can sit on my porch and watch the boats come in and out. On a clear day, I can see Long Island across the Sound. Notwithstanding that we are in the center of town, it is very quiet on my street, with very little traffic other than the people who live in one of the 16 houses. Many people walk their dogs in my neighborhood because it is central and so beautiful and quiet. Everything is close by and walkable. For years, I commuted into NYC on the train; the station is three blocks away. The hospital is about three blocks the other way. There are at least 20 restaurants within a quarter mile and four large grocery stores within a mile. I would say that my town is very much a middle class town (at least compared to the towns a little further to the west). The property taxes are on the high side, like everywhere in Connecticut, but I think we get real value for the taxes we pay. It is peaceful and safe, the town services and recreation facilities are excellent and the schools are good. The weather is also very clement; not too hot in the summer, nor too cold in the winter; USDA Zone 7a for you gardeners. We've lived here for 35 years, and we'll stay here until we physically cannot.

It seems we might have gotten lucky choosing our condo. A few years ago an area of our city tried to break away and form another city. The rationale driving this was to have better schools. Local courts disallowed the breakaway. Then last week the state Supreme Court allowed it! So we will become a new city after all. Our tax dollars will go to support our area and not be wasted on failing schools and high crime areas.
We chose our condo based on the location with nearby hospitals, groceries, restaurants, etc. But my biggest hope is the city we are breaking from will realize they need to manage themselves better and improve their schools and reduce crime. A win win for everyone.

Not my ideal place, but not bad either. Dallas proper, north side of White Rock Lake (10 miles bike / walk path). Also Dallas Arboretum right there.

Super easy to fly anywhere, but especially down to the Mayan Riviera. We got a direct flight to a few European destinations and tons of direct domestic flights. 2 airports with Southwest Airlines and American hubs. We take the rail train to the airport for long trips.

If still working, NO income taxes and reasonable property taxes for a modest home. Good restaurants. Hot from July to mid September, but mild winters.

Back
Top Bottom