Liquid holding - tax free vs taxable?

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi All,

24% federal bracket and Florida resident - could easily creep up, though.

Have most of core liquid in SPAXX and another chunk is CDs to obtain a bit more interest - although a bit more work.

Current FTEXX is 3.3% and SPAXX is 4.95%. One year CDs around 5.2-5.4%.

This still seems like I should be in SPAXX (of the two) vs FTEXX, right? At 32% might make sense?

Last edited:
Do you really need to hold your liquid assets in a taxable account? It can be more tax efficient to hold interest paying funds in an IRA or 401k and put equities in the taxable account. A lot of equities pay qualified dividends that get taxed at a better rate.

When you need money, sell the equities with long term capital gains (better tax treatment over interest) and then exchange the liquid asset for equities in the IRA/401k.

Holding equities in a taxable account also provides the opportunity to Tax Loss Harvest.

SPAXX looks better than FTEXX for yield with your taxes.

Not everyone is willing to look up the funds in the OP to find out what they are...

I'm also in 24% Federal bracket but not looking for lots of additional interest taxed as ordinary income.

I put excess income into my Vanguard taxable account most months. I target keeping that account 95% stock funds with 5% in my settlement fund, which obviously pays interest, but I'm okay with that...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom