New Variant Vaccine

becca

Recycles dryer sheets
I read that a new vaccine/booster which will include omicron protection is coming out in September.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? I have been a staunch supporter of vaccines, have gotten the original two, a booster in 9/21 and second booster in 4/22. I contracted covid in 6/22 and had a very mild case. I took Paxlovid for 1 1/2 days (that's all I could handle with the nasty taste).

Now I have to say I am a bit hesitant to get another booster. My husband's cardiologist advised him not to get the 2nd booster because of his Afib. (My husband had a mild case of covid also in 6/22). My 15 month old grandson's pediatrician advised against him getting the booster (not clear why). The baby also had covid (mild) in 5/22.

It bothers me that some doctors seem more hesitant on boosters.

I think I now know of more people who have had covid than not. I do not know anyone who has gotten real sick with it (even some very elderly folks), vaccinated or not.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do regarding this latest booster. I will get my flu shot though.

My vaccine and Covid timeline is similar to yours, only I had the monoclonal antibody treatment rather than Paxlovid. I have yet to hear that a 3rd booster is recommended and at what stage. Has the OP read that another booster will be authorized or are you making assumptions?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Shoot me up. I'll roll up my sleeve.

I've got my first two and two boosters.

In this deep already, no turning back :popcorn:.

Shoot me up. I'll roll up my sleeve.

I've got my first two and two boosters.

In this deep already, no turning back :popcorn:.

Us too, we have everything offered and have never had Covid. Something is working. No reactions of note to any of the jabs. 68 and 64 respectively. I have a heart concern, so a little compromised, but not as bad as some.

We got our jabs immediately they were available; I think the same week. Next door waiting 4 months to get theirs and they have had Covid 3 times so far, mild, but they still got it. We are sold on getting the jabs when offered as early as possible.

Last edited:
I would consider dropping any doctor who advised against booster if eligible and available to me. And I'll continue to take every one as they come up for me. I like the sound of the new one - all the original formulations are from the first main strain.

I have taken every vaccine and booster available to me and I will take the new booster as soon as available. To my knowledge I have never had Covid and I don't want it. I can't understand any doctor not recommending the new booster when available, my doctor advises me to get every booster I qualify for. I agree with Aerides, I would find a new doctor if my doctor advised against the booster. The new booster will save lives and keep people out of the hospital.

The UK will be offering a bivalent booster vaccine this Fall, either Moderna or Pfizer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ources/a-guide-to-the-covid-19-autumn-booster

Which vaccine will you be offered?
You will be given a booster dose of a vaccine made by Pfizer or Moderna. You may be offered an updated combination version of these booster vaccines – the combination vaccines include a half-dose of the previous vaccine combined with a half-dose of a vaccine against the Omicron variant. For a very small number of people another vaccine product may be advised by your doctor.

Both the previous and the combination vaccines boost protection very well, although the combination vaccines produce slightly higher levels of antibody against some strains of Omicron.

As we cannot predict which variants of COVID-19 will be circulating this winter, the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) have concluded that both types of vaccine can be used in adults, and that no one should delay vaccination to receive combination vaccines. So you will be offered the right vaccine for you at the right time.

Please accept the vaccination that is offered to you as soon as you are able to – it is important to have your booster and build up your protection against severe illness before the winter.

I would consider dropping any doctor who advised against booster if eligible and available to me. And I'll continue to take every one as they come up for me. I like the sound of the new one - all the original formulations are from the first main strain.
Same. The new one shouldn't be any different in side effects, it's the same delivery system coded for a slightly different antibody. And I'm very anxious to get it in order to feel better about traveling and not contributing to the spread of it, as I do know a few immunocompromised people and people who need to take immunosuppressants.

I have had the 4 shots and we are believers in the vaccines. Just had our 2nd booster 1 month ago, so will see what our doctor says on the timing of the new booster.

I think doctor hesitancy is because the case for these boosters, which are not tuned to the latest variants, has become less compelling. And the latest covid is also far milder generally speaking. And on the other side there are risks as always.

I'm done w/Covid shots.... Just hope they don't combine Covid boosters/shots with the annual flu shots. Not sure if I'd take it.

I'm done w/Covid shots.... Just hope they don't combine Covid boosters/shots with the annual flu shots. Not sure if I'd take it.

No plans to combine them here, just to offer the flu vaccine at the same time, so in 1 visit you can get either or both.

I'm only taking Novavax. The last FDA meeting was revealing and I watched it on the Youtube video that FDA made public. Novavax has data and the data was confirmed and approved by the FDA that Novavax is effective against all Omicron variants from BA1 to BA5.

Pfizer and Moderna created new vaccines only for Omicron BA-1, which is not in circulation anymore. And they did not give any data on Omicron BA-5. That's why some of the FDA VRBAC Committee advisors voted against it.
I just got 2 shots of Novavax after it was approved by the FDA. The Omicron variants can evade the protection of the older mRNA vaccines; while Novavax has been more effective in containing it due to the a different technique and process they use.

The Novavax shot felt almost nothing in my arms, compared to the agony I had with Pfizer. Novavax is also very durable and highly effective to protect up to 8 - 9 months as shown on their data presented to the FDA.

I read that a new vaccine/booster which will include omicron protection is coming out in September.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? I have been a staunch supporter of vaccines, have gotten the original two, a booster in 9/21 and second booster in 4/22. I contracted covid in 6/22 and had a very mild case. I took Paxlovid for 1 1/2 days (that's all I could handle with the nasty taste).

Now I have to say I am a bit hesitant to get another booster. My husband's cardiologist advised him not to get the 2nd booster because of his Afib. (My husband had a mild case of covid also in 6/22). My 15 month old grandson's pediatrician advised against him getting the booster (not clear why). The baby also had covid (mild) in 5/22.

It bothers me that some doctors seem more hesitant on boosters.

I think I now know of more people who have had covid than not. I do not know anyone who has gotten real sick with it (even some very elderly folks), vaccinated or not.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do regarding this latest booster. I will get my flu shot though.

Last edited:
The Jab topic is gonna continue to be the big debate just like pay off the mortgage or not.

I think doctor hesitancy is because the case for these boosters, which are not tuned to the latest variants, has become less compelling. And the latest covid is also far milder generally speaking. And on the other side there are risks as always.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/20/omicron-specific-booster-shots-are-weeks-away-eligibility-guide.html

"Newly updated Covid booster shots designed to target omicron’s BA.5 subvariant should be available within in the next three weeks."

There are risks and side effects with ANY vaccine, just as there are for any disease which has vaccines available for them.
Our second booster was in April, so 6 months from there, in October when we get our flu shot, we will get the covid booster.
We have not had Covid that I know of, and we take frequent tests as we watch our DGS every week. At 2 years old, He has not completed his vaccines yet.

I just got over a case of covid last week. I've had all the shots and boosters and had covid once before.
I do live life like covid doesn't exist. I do what I want when I want. Will continue that unless covid gets deadly again. I already lost 2 years to it in the early going, can't afford to lose anymore.
I think I'm done with boosters but will take a yearly shot like the flu vaccine.

I'm only taking Novavax. The last FDA meeting was revealing and I watched it on the Youtube video that FDA made public. Novavax has data and the data was confirmed and approved by the FDA that Novavax is effective against all Omicron variants from BA1 to BA5.

Pfizer and Moderna created new vaccines only for Omicron BA-1, which is not in circulation anymore. And they did not give any data on Omicron BA-5. That's why some of the FDA VRBAC Committee advisors voted against it.
I just got 2 shots of Novavax after it was approved by the FDA. The Omicron variants can evade the protection of the older mRNA vaccines; while Novavax has been more effective in containing it due to the a different technique and process they use.

The Novavax shot felt almost nothing in my arms, compared to the agony I had with Pfizer. Novavax is also very durable and highly effective to protect up to 8 - 9 months as shown on their data presented to the FDA.

I don't think your comments about Novavax are accurate. There are some interesting things about the Novavax vaccine in the following AMA discussion dated August 1, 2022:

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering...vaccine-questions-answered-sandra-fryhofer-md

The quoted comments below in italics come from Dr. Sandra Fryhofer, AMA's liaison to the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices

"Novavax can only be used as a primary series. FDA has not authorized it as a booster yet."

You wrote that you had "agony" from the Pfizer vaccine. How were you able to get Novavax as a booster? Novavax applied to the FDA to allow their vaccine to be used as a booster last week (August 15).

"The study data submitted to FDA says, overall, it was about 90% effective at preventing COVID. However, it did not seem to work quite as well in those 65 and older vaccine efficacy in this older group of 79%."

"But here's the catch. The studies submitted to FDA were done before Omicron started circulating. So we just don't know how it will work against Omicron."

I believe I posted a link a while back which said that Novavax data related to Omicron was in vitro data.

"And remember, Novavax and other COVID vaccines are reactogenic and can have significant side effects. The shingles vaccine, Shingrix, also is very reactogenic. So you might want to think twice about getting both shingles vaccine and COVID vaccine on the same day."

Covid is one crazy biotch. I had covid in the early going and my wife never got it. We live in a small house so not much chance for separation.
Fast forward to this February and my wife caught covid from visiting her Dad who she thought had a cold. She dropped off some soup and only stayed a few minutes. She got covid. We again took no precautions and I never got it.
Two weeks ago while on a 4 day trip I got a sore throat and cough but never thought it was covid as I've had this going on for months and tested negative every time. I had an appointment with an ENT scheduled. We came home a day early and she was stuck in a car with me for 10 hours and I was coughing up a storm. She never got it. Weird

Pfizer and Moderna created new vaccines only for Omicron BA-1, which is not in circulation anymore. And they did not give any data on Omicron BA-5.
Also wrong. From https://www.dailywire.com/news/mode...-targeting-now-dominant-ba-5-variant-of-covid, published July 12:
Researchers collected data from 800 participants in the trial, which tested various formulations of the booster. Moderna said the second formulation of its booster generated “nearly 70% more antibodies effective against BA.5 than a previous version did a month after receival of the dose,” the Daily Mail reported.

I was quick to line up for the first 2 shots and the first booster. I second guessed getting the second booster because I'd read it was less effective against Omicron... Then I got Omicron in July. (Doh! Cue sad trombone). I will get the 2nd booster - with the omicron ba5 addition when it becomes available.

I'm wondering when they'll recommend a second booster for the sub 50 crowd. My kids are boosted once, but don't qualify for a second booster. Both have front facing jobs and lots of people interaction and neither is super good about masking these days.

I got the first 3 and the last one was in October. I got Covid in Ireland in June and wasn’t very sick. Having asthma I am glad that the new variants aren’t attacking the respiratory system. Every time I get a shot I am sick in bed for 4 days. I don’t get the flu shot either so won’t be getting any more unless it turns deadly again.

I have been a staunch supporter of vaccines, have gotten the original two, a booster in 9/21 and second booster in 4/22. I contracted covid in 6/22 and had a very mild case. I took Paxlovid for 1 1/2 days (that's all I could handle with the nasty taste).

You've been double boosted and have gotten COVID recently (BA.4 or BA.5, in all likelihood). Since you asked, I would not be in any particular rush to get another booster this year if I were in your shoes. Your bout with Omicron in June provided you with lots of natural immunity, probably giving more long-lasting protection than any mRNA booster you could take this fall. Just my two cents, of course.

Back
Top Bottom