NYTimes Article - Meet the FIRE Savers

Pretty interesting. I wasn't aware of how big the FIRE subreddits have become. Nor that $100k/yr is the definition of fat fire - I guess that depends on where you live.

Didn't realize there is an annual FIRE conference. Anyone been to a EconoMe conference?

Thanks for the link to the well written article.
I, for one, am happy to be part of this quiet, rambling corner of the ER universe.

Pretty interesting. I wasn't aware of how big the FIRE subreddits have become. Nor that $100k/yr is the definition of fat fire - I guess that depends on where you live.
Hmm, I don't think that's accurate. I poke around in the fatFIRE subreddit from time to time (even though I'm more "chubbyFIRE" myself), and I don't think $100k/year is considered fat even at the low end. Although there's no official threshold, my understanding of fatFIRE is that it typically implies a $7MM+ net worth and/or $250k/year SWR. I've even seen some discussions (both in the chubby and fat subreddits) that feel $10MM is really more of the entry point for fatFIRE, which aligns somewhat with recent wealth statistics pointing to a $10MM household net worth being the threshold for the top 1%.

Most of us still do it the "old fashioned" way. We save like crazy, invest as best we can and LBYM. There are only so many Apps. in this world that need inventing - though I guess we always need to keep our eyes and ears open for opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom